Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDave Cameron reported some weird contract details
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2355713&mesg_id=2355778
2355778, Dave Cameron reported some weird contract details
Posted by Walleye, Thu Jul-31-14 11:46 AM
>That said, he miss out on his production this year and his
>contract year production next year. And I'm sure his contract
>year production is gonna be HUGE playing in Fenway half the
>year.

I didn't realize that he'd managed to negotiate actual free agency after 2015 - though it'd done in the oddest way. The A's are contractually obligated to non-tender him after 2015, even though he'd technically still be eligible for arbitration for two more seasons.

In addition to not likely wanting to spring for his open-market value, being non-tendered after 2015 makes Cespedes different next year than other emerging free agents in that the A's can't recoup a compensation pick by extending a qualifying offer. Players can't be non-tendered and then given a QO.

Combine the inability to rebuild a little after losing him *and* the fact that he's a guy who hits the ball in the air an absolute ton in a giant ballpark and I think there was a bit of risk control here by Oakland as well. He's the kind of player who can see his batting average completely crater due to some rough luck. Knock 30 points off of his average/OBA and he stops looking like the kind of guy who can net you an ace to front a playoff rotation - even a rental.