Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDecisions, decisions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2341946&mesg_id=2341956
2341956, Decisions, decisions
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Sun Jun-22-14 04:44 AM
Yup, we've got some decisions to make.

Livingston might not stay with the Nets but I can't see too many teams offering him more than $10m/3 years because he can't shoot from distance. He really suited the Nets system and played great defence and J Kidd chose him personally.

Thornton for Jarret Jack is a swap i'd do - although i do wonder if Thornton's $8 million expiring contract could be more valuable later in the season. Still having a back up point who can play like Jack would be amazing for our second unit considering how deep the team is and how often our star point gets injured.

If Shaun does take the mini MLE for $10m/3 then it means we can't use that same money on bringing over our Euro stash Bojan Bogdanovic. He's meant to be one of the best shooters in Europe, he is already 24 and as a second round picks a few years ago is not tied to the rookie pay scale. No-one truly knows if Bojan wants to come to the NBA now or is using the Nets as leverage to get a better contract in Europe.

The Nets do need to get younger and I was encouraged by Plumlee last season. Though he really needs to add a mid range jumper and he'll be a huge threat. He was 1st team Rookie last season despite only being drafted 22.

We have no draft pick this year but I can see our GM Billy King (Dem Specks?) get into the late first round. PHX has a third pick at 27 which they'll be looking to trade.

Blatche is gone. Can we sign and trade him? Despite him still getting paid from the Wizards he is probably looking for a long term contract and the Nets don't want to have anything on the books for the summer of 2016. So we'll offer Dray a two year contract and see if he'll take it. Re: Blatche - he is the most maddening player to watch, supreme talent level who rarely puts in much effort. I hate him handling the ball around the 3 point line when he is ultra effective in the paint. Blatche would be a good pick up for any team as a first big off the bench.

We'll know in seven days if AK47 opts in to his player option. Its probable he'll return given the season he had last year with injuries. There was a part of last season where Kirilenko was so important to the team but overall his play was so inconsistent. Minutes were an issue last season for AK but hard to give a player consistent minutes when they are injured half the time. If Blatche departs then I could see AK47 getting more minutes at PF.

The Truth moved his family from Boston to New York. I would say Broklyn has the lead over any other team and the Nets can pay Pierce more than any other team. He looked good for most of the season but age is quickly catching up with him. He wants to play one more season possibly two. If he plays for a different team it will likely be Doc's Clippers, i can't see him ring chasing for the Heat or another.

KG has 12 million reasons to play next season even though his skills have diminished so much. I want him to play 15 minutes a game and have a positive effect on Brook Lopez and Plumlee, get them to learn some nasty off KG. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang them up or perhaps Nets include him in a trade at some point.

Joe Jesus: What a player last season. He has been clutch since joining the Nets. Yes he has a huge salary but he actually earns is unlike A'mare.

Mirza Teletovic - my favourite Net at the moment, finally getting confident playing in the NBA and will have an awesome next five years or so. Will probably show himself as the best 3 point shooter in the league this season. He has good court vision and can handle the ball a bit. His man defence is slowly improving but he uses his size to grab rebounds and block a few shots. Kidd clearly has confidence in him. Mirza will benefit from more minutes if Blatche moves on to another team.

D-Will the face of the franchise. How much is he declining as a player and how badly damaged are his ankles. There are times watching him when i think he is one of the top players in the NBA (although these moments are rare) but most of the time I wonder why he can't play with confidence. I hope his surgery on both ankles allows him to play with more freedom otherwise i'd be willing to trade him (if this is possible - I do wonder if Kevin Love doesn't get traded at the draft whether the Nets become an option. Only because the same agent reps so many Nets players).

Brook Lopez - the best scoring centre in the league. He has looked so great when he has been on the court but two unfortunate injuries have really limited him the past couple of seasons. He is not injury prone. I think the Nets would have beaten the Heat this year if we'd had Lopez, they would have had no answer for him.

The re-introduction of Lopez to the Nets team may mean changing the system which worked well from the start of 2014. I'd be keen to see Lopez play primarily with the second unit. He would really go to work on every other team's second unit.

The Brooklyn Nets are now a free agent destination of choice. No more Jersey. We play in the most modern arena in the biggest market. We have an owner who is the richest in pro sports and is willing to spend. You think thats attractive to someone like Durant who sees OKC owners not wanting to pay the luxury tax? Prokhorov paid $100 million in luxury tax last season alone.

I wonder how much the Nets are worth now? Prokhorov paid $230 million plus covered their debts when they were in Jersey. If the Clippers are worth $2 billion without having an arena then the Nets are worth more than the Clippers.