Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Yeah, I also hope they consistently utilize deep throws
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2213824&mesg_id=2213908
2213908, RE: Yeah, I also hope they consistently utilize deep throws
Posted by jimaveli, Sun Jul-28-13 09:01 AM
>that will make it a bit easier on Torrey for the shorter
>routes....I don't want to see any of these cats going through
>what Todd Heap went through- everyone knew that 98% of our
>routes back then were short crossing patterns and everyone's
>scheme seemed designed to tee off on Heap and whoever was
>running those routes.

Yeah...outside of a few teams who tee off and count on their secondary to hold on, NFL pass defense nowadays is 'bend, don't break', 'giving safe looks', daring a QB to throw in certain areas, and takeaways. A good deep ball kills all of that shit. Outside of a few amazing defensive stands, the deep ball/big play is what won B-More the last SB to me. It got them out of Denver fo sho. People blame that for the angle corner but shiiiit...that throw was insane and on-the-move. NFL defenses are built around creating looks to mindfuck QBs out of making those types of throws...it comes down to secondary talent vs QB talent to decide who gets paid on those throws. And sometimes, a big mofo like Flacco who doesn't give a shit about chunking it is simply more than a defense can deal with.

It IS tough with Flacco though cuz he'll go into Madden mode and start throwing 55 yard passes every other play if Caldwell or someone doesn't say 'hey man...check that shit down sometimes'. It happened several times in the regular season last year.