Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBlowing it up now requires full blown rebuilding though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2196525&mesg_id=2199947
2199947, Blowing it up now requires full blown rebuilding though.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Jun-22-13 03:14 PM
>like i said, if they are going to keep this group together,
>they make this deal.

>personally, i'd start thinking about
>blowing it up sooner than later. they have nothing going
>forward. they could save money, acquire assets and take a
>clear direction. but it doesn't make short term financial
>sense, plus they dont want to get into a PR storm by dogging
>kobe out in any way.

The scenario I laid out gives us a chance to compete at a reasonable level next year, especially if Kobe comes back at his projected pace anywhere near last years level, keeps us as players in the FA market next summer, and gives us a long term player.

I'd like to get this ball rolling ASAP but there are too many assets around to go into a full blown rebuild.

Pau could conceivably net some solid pieces and using the amnesty on Kobe would free up cap room in addition to letting Dwight walk, but more than a PR disaster, there's nobody to sign this year because Paul has no incentive to come and unless we make Monta and Josh Smith our priorities. That would effectively mean we accept mediocrity for the next five years. There are some big fish potentially swimming next year though, and we're in prime position to make that move.

It's all uncertain, but IMO that's the best overall scenario with potential availability IMO.