Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHow would you fix ESPN's NBA Show?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2196036&mesg_id=2196036
2196036, How would you fix ESPN's NBA Show?
Posted by nipsey, Fri Jun-14-13 11:39 AM

We all know that it's a cluster and pretty much the worst pre-game/halftime show in sports television. It just doesn't work, The personalities have no chemistry and just don't mesh well. Jalen can't speak. I love Jalen, but this is not the right format for him. He's best doing the podcasts with Jacoby. Magic *really* can't speak. There's no doubt Magic is one of the best players ever, but I don't need to see him on television doing analysis. He's not offering much. Wilbon isn't showing a compelling personality on the show. I can't put my finger on it, but he's too bland I suppose. Simmons has encyclopedic knowledge of basketball, but it doesn't translate well to television. Especially when he's cracking jokes and the rest of the panel falls silent because they don't get it.

My idea is that they blow the whole thing up. Replace the entire panel. Although I like Simmons and think he would get better on television with time, he's dropped hints that he might not do it next year. So assuming he leaves on his own, get rid of everyone else and start off fresh.

I suggest they add Michael Smith as host, Bomani Jones, Sheed, and Grant Hill. I think that's a nice mix of personalities to inject some spark into this lame show. I don't know how Sheed would play on TV but we know dude has a great personality in post game interviews and quite frankly has a high basketball IQ. Grant Hill would play great on television and some underlying tension between a Dukie and a Tar Heel could make for some interesting moments. I'm a fan of Bomani Jones and think he would bring some humor and critical analysis to the show. I think Michael Smith could do a good job as a straight man and host. He's a personable guy and think he would do a good job being a "ring master" to the show.

Those are my thoughts. What do you think? How would you fix this mess of a show?