Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWoody not pleased wit the blackout
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2172678&mesg_id=2173223
2173223, Woody not pleased wit the blackout
Posted by Cenario, Thu May-02-13 02:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9235666/2013-nba-playoffs-mike-woodson-upset-new-york-knicks-wore-all-black-mimic-funeral-boston-celtics

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- New York Knicks coach Mike Woodson said he was "upset" that his team wore all black on Wednesday before Game 5 of the Knicks-Celtics series to mimic a funeral for Boston.

"I'm a little upset about that, and I've addressed that," Woodson said after practice on Thursday. "... Things like that have just got to be, just kept outside the game and just concentrate on playing basketball."

Stephen A. Smith & Ryan Ruocco

Mike Woodson says he's spoken to his players about their antics.

More Podcasts »
The Celtics trailed in the series 3-1, heading into Game 5 and forced a Game 6 with a 92-86 win at Madison Square Garden.

Kenyon Martin reportedly told his teammates after their Game 4 loss in Boston to wear black to Game 5, "funeral black," he said, in anticipation of the Knicks eliminating the Celtics.

Woodson said he did not know about the team's plan before the game. The coach said he learned about it Thursday morning and expressed his disappointment.

He said he "absolutely" would have prohibited the Knicks from wearing black if he had known about the idea.

"I made reference to our guys, you need to stay out of the papers and just concentrate on playing. That's not important. What you're wearing doesn't have anything to do with how you play on the basketball floor," Woodson said.

Knicks Blog
Looking for more Knicks news? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog »

He added: "I've addressed that with our players, and that's enough. The game is played on the floor, and that's where it should be played."

The Celtics are the 11th team in NBA history to force a Game 6 after trailing 3-0 in a best-of-seven series. Three teams have won Game 6.

Woodson insisted on Thursday that his team is still confident heading into Game 6 in Boston.

"We're confident. We're 3-2 in the series and still facing a close-out game. I feel pretty good about it, and our guys feel good," Woodson said. "We just got to go give back what we gave away last night. We got to go back there and try and figure it out tomorrow night."

The Knicks have not won a playoff series since 2000.