Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTo me, this is a dead issue, guys are open with their teammates
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2153295&mesg_id=2159384
2159384, To me, this is a dead issue, guys are open with their teammates
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Apr-08-13 01:17 AM
I have heard a ton of former pros, guys like Barkley and Sapp, talk about having openly gay teammates, guys they knew were gay. Sapp said one guy brought his boyfriend to the Pro Bowl and introduced him as such. Of course Sapp is prone to exaggeration, but it's too common to be BS overall.

Outside of that, their sexuality is something private that is for them to reveal or not. Yes, there are external pressures to stay quiet because of the industry they are in and that's unfortunate. Slowly, that will wear down the way it has in many other areas of society.

For straight people, it's a topic where they can at once be safely "tolerant" (pointing out a super macho industry and placing blame) or "honest" about the fact that they find it weird, falling back on something like "the dudes would shower together!"

In other words, a dumb conversation that bores me.

Maybe for gay people it's a much more interesting conversation about a bunch of ripped black dudes fucking, but I think I'll pass on that as well.