Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFreestyle Board
Topic subjectRE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=83663&mesg_id=83793
83793, RE: Help a young MC out.... (reposted from "The Lesson")
Posted by DeCisive, Fri Dec-04-09 02:17 PM
To improve your delivery... you have to learn to use your diaphragm. Also, listen to R&B music... learn the words sing along to train your voice and expand the range of your cadence. Singers go up and down in their vocal range.

I find its better to actualize who you are. Meaning when you write a song, write it as if someone is listening to it. Make sure that they can understand and relate to it. The same as if you were talking to a close friend.

Sometimes I write songs with the same concept as essays from class assignments. Thesis, Main point, supporting detail, climax, and closer. When you can do that concisely, yet vividly, without being impersonal... then you have found a rhythm and have a solid foundation.

The art of emceeing is centered in an ability to connect with people and/or the crowd. Its much more then being able to use dope metaphors and braggadocio. While those are rap skills they don't necessarily translate into emcee skills. Most don't want to hear rap songs about rapping. You have to learn to sprinkle that in like seasoning on a dish you preparing... feel me?