Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectthat would be Eightball. Correct.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=80036&mesg_id=82115
82115, that would be Eightball. Correct.
Posted by FrankEinstein, Tue Aug-02-05 04:58 PM
Is the guy currently making comics or is he
>just re-publishing the old stuff?

He's definitely slowed down to less than a snail's pace. A new issue has become sort of a Halley's Comet sort of thing.

>
>How would you rate his works?

I dunno, I've never really tried. He holds my respect on a level that I don't even question what or why he does what he does anymore. But I think I know what you mean:
'Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron' was the first continuing/chaptered series that ran in Eightball for quite a while, with cliffhanger endings and all...weirdest, coolest thing I'd ever read at that point, and it was mixed into each issue with all this other crazy shit I'd never seen in a comic before. Holds high sentimental value.

'Pussey!' is his jab at every aspect of the comics industry. The story of a geeky-fanboy that becomes a comic mogul. Worth your time and money, you'll never look at another mainstream comic the same way again.

'Lout Rampage' and 'Orgy Bound' are collections of the funnier, meaner, crazier, creepier stories that ran in Eightball. A must own, in my opinion, or you'll be missing out on a huge aspect of the art and humor Clowes is known for...

...which is very similiar to '20th Century Eightball'. Kind of a 'Reader's Digest Condensed' version of the original comics, and reprints of a few stories from the two above mentioned titles as well as adding in some newer stuff.

...'Caricature' is sad, pathetic, depressing...and damn good. But I'd get to know the earlier stuff before I'd read this one, if I were you, and see if you develop an eye?...ear?...whatever...for these works first.

...'David Boring' is just a great story, and is kind of a trip to read now considering when it was written. A murder mystery/tale of young adulthood/end of the world series that is well worth reading. But again, I'd familiarize myself with the earlier stuff first...just a thought.

Anything that stands out as his
>'best'? Or 'worst'?

He's got a collection of this character he'd created pre-Eightball called 'The Manly World of Lloyd Llewelyn' that I fucking love. But it's early stuff, his techniques in writing/drawing/storytelling weren't quite figured out yet, which is part of the appeal, I think.

And there's, y'know...'Ghost World'. Which you've read already. Damn good stuff.

I can't really say anything is better or worse than anything else he does, cuz the stories are always so different from each other. Nowadays I'm just so pysched whenever he puts anything out that I like it before I even take it off the shelf to buy it.

>
>But yeah, I think this guy is gonna be my new comic book
>obsession for a while. So any and all knowledge you can
>dispense upon me would be greatly appreciated.
>

Keep me up to date on what you're reading of his stuff, definitely.