Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMadame Web (S.J. Clarkson, 2024)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=749471
749471, Madame Web (S.J. Clarkson, 2024)
Posted by bwood, Wed Nov-15-23 09:33 AM
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Trailer: https://youtu.be/s_76M4c4LTo?si=Ejeqklx0HJLqqEMX

Looks better than either KRAVEN or MORBIUS, but still 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Featuette: https://youtu.be/14fHTSf9RK8?si=7v0lzhsH1CkAXUMR
749474, Nowhere to go but up!
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Nov-15-23 11:22 AM

>Looks better than either KRAVEN or MORBIUS, but still
>🤣🤣🤣🤣
>

Not saying this was their goal, but it’s kinda genius to release a movie as bad as Morbius so that every subsequent movie gets compared favorably to it.

Also, I know the guy on the train in the Mets hat lol. I love discovering old friends in projects. I see people I know in random commercials all the time and I always pop.
750000, fuck... this was worse than Morbius
Posted by pretentious username, Thu Feb-15-24 02:31 PM

>
>Not saying this was their goal, but it’s kinda genius to
>release a movie as bad as Morbius so that every subsequent
>movie gets compared favorably to it.

first act was fine, if a little paint-by-numbers. second act had the clunkiest/most boring exposition I've seen in a while. third act was a total mess with terrible action and disorienting shaky cam.
749992, My expectations were low, but holy fuck!!!
Posted by bwood, Mon Feb-12-24 06:06 PM
It's not ARGYLLE terrible, but it's fucking bad.

Wild to watch a movie actively make every possible wrong choice in every way as it unfolds on screen in front of you.

Yet there were times where I was highly entertained by how bad it is. Also times where I was bored.

Even Sony knew this was bullshit as it has no credits scenes.

Stop putting Dakota Johnson in movies like this. She's an indie girl. Otherwise, good God.
749998, Obviously Sony altered the hell out of this in post.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Feb-15-24 12:21 AM
The villain's mouth rarely matches up with the dialogue he's saying, and they cut away from his speaking for at least half of his lines. It's like watching a bad Godzilla dub.

I don't really blame the filmmakers or talent for this, tbh. I genuinely like that they went the "earnest superhero movie" route instead of the "smirky, smug, pseudo-Whedon superhero movie" route. No Ryan Reynolds level quippiness here. Instead, it dares to be very straight forward. Which doesn't work in this case, obviously... but again, I strongly, strongly suspect this Frankenstein only passingly resembles whatever they originally intended. Even Johnson's performance, which is awkward, was clearly meant to be intentionally awkward in many spots, but the timing of the cuts around everyone's lines is so off. I haven't seen such an obvious studio post-production hack-a-thon since the last Fantastic Four movie, really.

So I have more admiration for this-- something that was meant to be earnest, lower stakes, more character driven, etc-- than something like The Flash or The Marvels or what not. It's definitely not good, and there's no defending it, but I'll defend the tone they clearly aspired for-- and it makes me wish we could've seen whatever movie they originally shot instead of this mish-mash of a billion reshoots and redubs.
750002, I'll be looking for the 4k download to skip thru lol
Posted by Lach, Thu Feb-15-24 06:51 PM