Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCinnamon (TUBI? YES TUBI, Damon Wayans, Pam Grier, 2023)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=748612&mesg_id=748612
748612, Cinnamon (TUBI? YES TUBI, Damon Wayans, Pam Grier, 2023)
Posted by Castro, Fri Jul-14-23 01:17 AM
Remember when we were all hyped for Queen and Slim???? Let me tell you Spidey fans, this MICKEY-FICKEY RIGHT CHURR is the what we expected and its produced by none other than one of OKSports favorite shit talkers, former NBA Star Kevin Garnett.

What I recommend is you go to Tubi and watch this joint like i just did. But if you prefer to be huff about it, you can bother watching the trailer first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZURYBlvdFc

Written and directed by Bryian Keith Montgomery Jr.

80% on Rotten Tomatoes. Because its that good. A Tubi exclusive trending at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes?!?! Yes.

Village Roadshow is the formative hand behind this, but the writer director Bryian Montgomery deserves his flowers...this is an extremely well shot film with a coherent "What could possibly go wrong?" type story. Think Guy Ritchie, Tarantino meets....Tubi. All the Tubi neo-Blaxploitation joints folks giggle about can be put to bed, because Kevin Garnett's production company wants us to watch Black Noir films, and they did a damn good job first go round. Damon Wayans is in all his glory here, rechanneling his classic Rev Ed Cash character from Living Color as Wally, a small time businessman trying to break big into used car sales. Pam Grier gives us a rousing Bad Mama character and the leads, Hailey Kilgore and David Iacono show great chemistry as a pair of star crossed lovers who are trying their damnedest to get out of town.

It works. It kept me glued to the couch at a time when I am usually all in on channel surfing. If Tubi can put out 3-4 flix of this quality yearly, that purchase of BET by Tyler Perry may be moot, as Tubi will establish itself as the landing spot for young Black filmmaking talent.

8/10....will watch again for Wally.