Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Creator (Gareth Edwards, 2023)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=748109
748109, The Creator (Gareth Edwards, 2023)
Posted by bwood, Wed May-17-23 11:18 AM
https://youtu.be/573GCxqkYEg

This shit looks amazing. Hope it's good.
748117, hope they didnt spoil too much in the trailer but it does look dope
Posted by thegodcam, Wed May-17-23 01:16 PM
748125, It's Gareth Edwards so it's must see
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Wed May-17-23 05:55 PM
He made one of the best two Star Wars films to date (IMHO) and the best Star Wars series. This is going to be dope, and I'm going off of GP
748126, Which Star Wars series?
Posted by navajo joe, Thu May-18-23 08:22 AM
748139, I'm bugging Gilroy did Andor
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri May-19-23 02:40 PM
Edwards directed Rouge One.

Nothing to see here; carry on.
748141, I can’t speak to the quality, but it’s definitely releasing at the right time.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri May-19-23 04:31 PM
749124, It's dope ss fuck
Posted by bwood, Tue Sep-26-23 02:46 PM
More later
749142, Full spoiler free thoughts.
Posted by bwood, Thu Sep-28-23 12:28 PM
This is one of the most visually stunning movies I've seen all year. Shout out to Oren Soffer, who was handpicked by Greig Fraser (he was busy with Dune Part Two but got credit for all the pre-production work), for making a beautiful-looking film.

For an $80 million dollar film, this is how you use CGI. to enhance and world-build on top of existing locations while keeping it to a minimum.

The action is excellent. I've seen it twice now, and I'd be damn if I wondered how this got a PG-13.

Now with all that said. The story is very underwhelming in its execution. It reminded me of Oblivion in that it's a mash-up of all the familiar sci-fi stories you've seen a million times before. I called almost every story beat before it happened. That's just how these things go. It's way better than Oblivion.

Yet, it still pulled me in with how the characters are written and how good the actors are.

I've seen it twice and I'll probably see it again as it's rare to get a big sci-fi action movie this well-made and acted that's not setting up a shared universe or ongoing franchise.

Let's start putting John David Washington in more things, please.

Gareth Edwards is the king of massive landscape destruction with beautiful images.
749143, it contains exactly one F-bomb
Posted by pretentious username, Thu Sep-28-23 12:34 PM

>The action is excellent. I've seen it twice now, and I'd be
>damn if I wondered how this got a PG-13.
>
749329, It's violent as fuck tho.
Posted by bwood, Tue Oct-31-23 08:19 AM
NM
749156, Edwards: a master at visuals, tremendously mid as a storyteller.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Sep-30-23 12:30 AM
Thought it was true of Godzilla, thought it was low-key true of Rogue One (liked it the most of his films but liked it less than others), and think it's true here.

Blown away by how the movie looks on this budget. Didn't *really* get emotionally invested, especially because Edwards resorts to shameless tearjerking over developing character, generally. So I left thinking, "This is a solid 3 out of 5."

But all three stars go to the visuals. Way better looking than any of the superhero movies of late that had 3 times this movie's budget.
749172, this was pretty good
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Oct-03-23 12:47 PM
I like john David Washington, looking forward to his releases now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"
749327, this was a letdown, sadly
Posted by will_5198, Mon Oct-30-23 10:39 PM
I knew there would be problems after that opening sequence, and the sloppy script never righted itself

most scenes and characters existed only to move along the next plot point, and were hollow otherwise

forgivable if the characterization was better -- unfortunately the characters spent most of their time telling us what they felt, instead of writing interesting dialogue to show it

its as if Edwards had a bunch of great visual ideas but didn't know how to tie them together

you'd really think AI humanoids could aim better, btw
749496, Has the bones of a great story, but very little meat.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Nov-22-23 11:58 PM
It feels like it was made from an outline of good ideas that were never fully fleshed out.
749900, It was a decent watch for me. Nice visuals. Great way to try out my
Posted by SuiteLady, Mon Jan-29-24 07:01 PM
new sound bar on Christmas Day.
749922, Ohhhhhh, that sounds good
Posted by Walleye, Fri Feb-02-24 12:14 PM
>new sound bar on Christmas Day.

I know this wasn't a perfect movie. Very loose with the story. But it looked and sounded gorgeous so as far as a movie watching experience it's pretty upper-tier. This really confirmed that.