Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Menu (Mylod, 2022)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746656
746656, The Menu (Mylod, 2022)
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-21-22 05:44 PM
A satire of wealth and foodie culture that you'll realize pretty early on isn't afraid to go absurd and go absurd early. One of the writers and the director are both from Succession, so that gives you an idea of tone-- it's like if they pushed Succession's sharp humor even further.

I really had a good time. The first hour in particular is very funny, very suspenseful. Runs a bit out of steam imo, but hey, worth the price of admission to watch this cast do its thing with such a fun script.
746673, Yeah.. this was a good one
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Wed Nov-23-22 09:08 PM
746680, liked it a lot
Posted by shamus, Thu Nov-24-22 10:13 PM
way more than i thought i would when i initially saw the trailer.

i think the biggest laugh in the theater was when it was revealed why john leguizamo's character had been invited
746723, Would this be a good movie to pair with Glass Onion as a double feature?
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Nov-29-22 02:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing both of those
746731, Yes definitely
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Wed Nov-30-22 03:38 AM
746736, Tonally different, but subject matter certainly similar.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Nov-30-22 11:04 AM
You could do a lot worse imo.
747125, i'd say they're almost too similar
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Jan-09-23 01:16 PM
slight spoiler alert, but the endings of both movies are surprisingly close.
747126, I watched them a week apart. I think it's better that way.
Posted by Nopayne, Mon Jan-09-23 01:31 PM
They have a lot of similar story points so it'd be kinda grating to go through both back to back.
747124, Finally caught this last night. Quite enjoyed it
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jan-09-23 12:27 PM
Didn't quite stick the landing, a few threads didn't make sense, but it made for very good dark satire. Ralph killed it in particular.

Often times, the simple things are the best. Oh, and always carry cash...
747244, which parts didn't make sense?
Posted by Damali, Wed Jan-25-23 01:01 PM

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
747255, I didn't quite understand why Elsa sattached Margot
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Jan-26-23 10:07 PM
Like, she had to know Chef was going to kill everyone. Why was she on some 'you won't replace me' rant? There was know way Elsa would have known the burger would be the saving grace, and I can't see her taking that path anyway
749020, oooh yes, good one. I got nothing LOL
Posted by Damali, Mon Sep-11-23 10:08 AM

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
747209, yeah, this was more fun than I thought
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-21-23 11:56 PM
the pointed critiques definitely come from a place within that culture (diner or chef), and coincides with the bandwagon backlash against fine dining right now

Fiennes is hilarious; makes the completely perfect "chef"

as someone who aspired to eat at most of these restaurants at a point in my life, the satires definitely hit

even the smallest exchanges were well-researched -- "this wine comes from *one* row of vines" -- it is a very smirk-worthy film
747215, Caught this a week or so back..... meh
Posted by spades, Mon Jan-23-23 10:17 AM
I love the premise, but it all just seemed a little dry. And the last sequence, when she paid for the burger..... As a service worker that felt false, and honestly, should have jeopardized her safety.

but whatever.

747231, Be honest though
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-24-23 10:14 AM
you wanted that burger like the rest of us
747232, looked gooder than a mf didn't it?
Posted by spades, Tue Jan-24-23 01:22 PM
747236, my wife told me to shut up about it
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-24-23 03:34 PM
then she went on reddit and saw a sea of others saying the same thing:

I want that fucking burger
747239, he just about does it step by step.
Posted by spades, Wed Jan-25-23 10:23 AM
Make that shit, fam.

I did that shit with an old GF. Remember Bob's burgers? Well somebody made a blog basically listing the ingredients of every special burger.

We spend a couple weeks making them on the weekends. It was a cute little thing and some of those mfs SMACKED.
747228, Like most people here, I enjoyed it a lot...
Posted by Af-1, Tue Jan-24-23 05:17 AM
Didn't know much about it going in but I laughed out loud a lot and really enjoyed where it went. The bread-less bread was hilarious.
747238, Took me a minute to remember the dude cupping Chef's balls
Posted by High Society, Wed Jan-25-23 04:02 AM
Beast from the X-Men origin flicks:

First Class
Days of Future Past
Apocalypse
The Jean Grey Phoenix Saga
747240, Oh shit. How'd I miss that?
Posted by spades, Wed Jan-25-23 10:23 AM
747253, He'll always be Nux to me
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Thu Jan-26-23 01:05 PM
Admittedly, I haven't seen many X-Men movies.
747257, Got his start as the kid in "About a Boy"
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Jan-27-23 04:58 PM
But yeah, I've always been a big fan of Nicholas Hoult.
747245, This was such a perfect take down of the haute cuisine industry
Posted by Damali, Wed Jan-25-23 01:10 PM
the satire was so fucking on point...I love this film so much and will watch it again

somethings of note:

- each table represented 6 of the seven deadly sins and the staff was the seventh (Wrath)
-the NO SUBsTITUTIONS AT HAWTHORNE is the key to why he let her survive. she was a substitution and also was not a part of the wealthy class that would frequent such a place..bonus for her is that she was also the only person who truly understood him, hence the burger scene (which was perfection, imo)
- the restaurant itself was a not so subtle nod to Noma in Copenhagen (as well as a handful of other similar restaurants), which was one of the most pretentious restaurants in the world, and also happened to announce its closing on the same day as the digital release of this film. Some speculate the film could have been the straw that broke the camels back as Noma was notoriously an abusive place to work (as are so many other 'fine dning' kitchens)...

overall i loved it

d

747252, Good notes!
Posted by spades, Thu Jan-26-23 12:45 PM
747254, Shit I didn't think of any of this
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Thu Jan-26-23 01:13 PM
Excellent breakdown.
749021, No kidding? That's really fun
Posted by Walleye, Mon Sep-11-23 10:25 AM
>- each table represented 6 of the seven deadly sins and the
>staff was the seventh (Wrath)

Yeah. Definitely time for a rewatch.
749017, "what school did you go to?" "brown"
Posted by Robert, Mon Sep-11-23 08:24 AM
"student loans?"

"no"

"you're dying"

im still cracking up at that part
749019, now i actually want to watch it again LOL
Posted by Damali, Mon Sep-11-23 10:08 AM

749024, "Tyler's Bullshit"
Posted by Robert, Mon Sep-11-23 01:10 PM
was like *chef's kiss* how it dunked on that type that thinks because they watch some youtube videos and the Bravo channel that they too understand what it's all about on the kitchen side

i happened to watch it twice in the past week.. 2nd view i was able to key in more on specific dialogue and isolated choices made by the moviemakers (first one i was too "wtf is happening next??")
749171, Haven’t stopped thinking about this one.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Oct-03-23 12:22 PM
I dunno if I loved it but there was a lot to love about it. It’s a lot of fun, super fucking weird and just…funny.

I find it hysterical the dude who made the bullshit dish knew he was going to die but also took photos of the food. Like…for what?