Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI mean, the coffin getting levitated into the spaceship...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746536&mesg_id=746591
746591, I mean, the coffin getting levitated into the spaceship...
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-14-22 06:46 PM
>Not TV VFX levels by any means.

... like, I wondered if the team got orders to do that two weeks before the release date. Looked like something out of a CW show.

I generally agree, but that's honestly what makes it that much more baffling-- the fact that in *some scenes,* the effects fucking RIP. And then in others, they look fine/passable/what have you. And then in others, they're just real bad.

Like, I'm reminded of The Mummy Returns, a movie that also has 80% awesome special effects... it just so happens that the 20% includes the big finale, which is the only thing everyone remembers. And nothing in BP2 is as bad as the CGI on the Scorpion King, obviously... but the unevenness makes me wonder what adversity Marvel's FX teams were up against. (Outside of, y'know, Marvel refusing to pay them fairly and giving them major last-second adjustments, as has been reported several times.)

Fun fact, btw: there was a Corridor Digital video that asked the guy who made the Scorpion King in The Mummy Returns what happened, and he more or less said, if I recall correctly, that they didn't have access to The Rock to get a scan of his head-- he shot the stuff for the beginning of the movie but wasn't available for anything else. So they had to just kinda... do their best by looking at pictures and shit. And in 2001... doing your best without getting reference scans was basically impossible. That video gave some some perspective on bad FX-- namely, that it's insanely, insanely unlikely that any FX problems are because of the FX artists.