Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectFor one, T'Challa had Shuri running support.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746536&mesg_id=746588
746588, For one, T'Challa had Shuri running support.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Nov-14-22 02:22 PM
>If you think about it, her journey to being the Black Panther
>pretty much mimics T'Challa's journey from Civil War. Parent
>dies? Check. Going for revenge? Check. Showing mercy after
>realizing vengeance is consuming them? Check. Where's the
>difference? One could argue the stakes are higher for Shuri.
>But because we've seen T'Challa on a bigger stage and
>developed more between BP/IW/EG, some may forget it's pretty
>much the exact same thing.

I see the parallels, but I am also in the camp that says she had a harder path to the mantel.

T'Challa had Shuri running support, which was a huge help. Shuri has herself for that. Riri was there to assist, but she was Riri's mentor at the same time, while also tasked with keeping her safe. She's also facing a tougher foe, all while mourning both her brother and mother- after working frantically to save her dying brother.

T'Challa had lost his father, but at least had some breathing room before Killmonger showed up.

Shuri lost *everyone* in her family. So I'd say the stakes are definitely higher here. Killmonger was a threat.

T'Challa also had the advantage of being groomed specifically for his role, from a very young age. This was forced on Shuri, out of virtually nowhere. Shit, she even create the heart-shaped herb just to get the mantle. T'Challa didn't have to do anything like that.

I think there are several factors that, viewed objectively, add up to a significantly steeper degree of difficulty for Shuri. The parallels are there, but at each turn, Shuri's iteration of it is much tougher.

>Cotdamnit Angela was in boss mode. I saw it twice and each
>time her performance with Okoye had me in tears. That was some
>hard body shit, and I can't believe that passion and tears
>were just acting either.

Angela owned this movie. I'll say it again: don't be shocked if she winds up with a supporting actress nod.