Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWouldn't say disappointing, but some points are fair. Some not..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746536&mesg_id=746586
746586, Wouldn't say disappointing, but some points are fair. Some not..
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Nov-14-22 01:28 PM

>
>The bad: the action wasn't all that good and occasionally
>incomprehensible. The stuff with the US Government/Martin
>Freeman/Juiie Louis-Dreyfuss was a waste of time beyond some
>minor world-building and setting up for the third movie. It
>was waaaay too damn long, which I usually dismiss as a
>criticism, but I felt it here. Wasn't slow, but it felt like
>they had at least half an hour of unnecessary stuff.

I think many will agree with this. I'm not mad at Martin and Julia be in the film, But you could cut them out and save 15 minutes or so easily, and still figure out how to plant the the seeds for Thunderbolts. I will say having Richard Schiff in the movie was well worth it. When he showed up I yelled 'Toby!!!'. a MCU/West Wing crossover is something nobody needs or asked for, but I'm here for it

>And, honestly, Shuri works much better a supporting
>character. I 100% get the decision to make her the focal
>point, and why they wrote the character this way given what
>happened, but it just didn't work for me. Even before the
>movie dropped, I'd hoped they were going to make LLupita/Nakia
>the next Black Panther, but from the first line of dialogue,
>it was obvious where the film was going.

If you think about it, her journey to being the Black Panther pretty much mimics T'Challa's journey from Civil War. Parent dies? Check. Going for revenge? Check. Showing mercy after realizing vengeance is consuming them? Check. Where's the difference? One could argue the stakes are higher for Shuri. But because we've seen T'Challa on a bigger stage and developed more between BP/IW/EG, some may forget it's pretty much the exact same thing.

>But, hey, this movie made a shit-ton of money over weekend, so
>maybe I'm the asshole. Ad maybe Coogler can figure out how to
>make the third movie work better with Shuri as the central
>focus. I certainly want to like these films.

Oh, this movie is making ALL the money until the other blue water people show up next month. I wouldn't call you or anybody an asshole for not exactly feeling Shuri as the linchpin for the role and franchise. But between established comic lore, real life tragedy and feeding the Disney/Marvel machine, it was a damn near impossible task for Coogler and Co. to attempt, and many may not like it, rightfully so. I have my reservations and dislikes for the movie as well, but I understand why many things are what they are and take the movie for what it is in the end.

Cotdamnit Angela was in boss mode. I saw it twice and each time her performance with Okoye had me in tears. That was some hard body shit, and I can't believe that passion and tears were just acting either.