Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI agree with just about all of this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746536&mesg_id=746561
746561, I agree with just about all of this
Posted by spenzalii, Fri Nov-11-22 06:18 PM
I already see reviewers trying to tread lightly on this one, as trashing a movie that had to be remade because of a beloved actor lost to cancer, but here we are. It was a no-win situation here losing Boseman, and you can feel that the pain the characters are feeling is the same pain the actors are feeling. RiRi, Allegra and Ross could all be cut and it tightens the film, but I'd keep the CIA, if only because I love seeing RS on screen (mini spoiler for now). That may have given us more time to flesh out Namor, who's more antagonist than big bad, which works if you absolutely HAVE to have him in the movie. There were a lot of kids at the IMAX showing this morning, and some got a little scared at the final battle, but beyond that...

Bassett is so gangsta in this. Still makes me mad she never got to play Storm. Hell, they could cast her NOW and she'd kill it. Duke was stealing every scene he was in. There were a few surprises I'm glad they kept under wraps, which played quite well.

VFX are, well, spotty at best, which seems to be the norm more often than not. Gotta feed the machine, I guess, but QC definitely suffers. Makes me wonder how the other blue people will look next month, but that's another thread in due time. Didn't care for some of the suit/armor designs. The lighting is a mess, especially in any low light scene. I'm no armchair DP, but I surely wish they could have turned the contrast up on the screen...

Overall, the good overshadows the bad, and the movie is worth it, even if you're just there to say goodbye to T'Challa, Chadwick, or both. Ryan did about as much as he could to please his overlords at Disney/Marvel and deliver a touching tribute to his colleague and friend.