Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBlack Panther: Wakanda Forever discussion post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746536&mesg_id=746536
746536, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever discussion post
Posted by bwood, Tue Nov-08-22 01:10 PM
Saw this shit last night in IMAX.

First let me start by saying all you recast T'Challa niggas look real fucking stupid right now. This film greatly honors his legacy both as Chadwick the actor AND T'Challa the character. The mid-credits scene is gonna have y'all eating Crow. Honestly, that mid-credits scene is SO good that going forward Marvel should cut that shit out.

This is not as good as the first one, but it's still a great film and easily the best of Phase Four so far.

My main gripe here is Namor. I have no problems with them changing his background as it's still true to the character. However, he's just Killmonger Part Two. Like Erik, I agree with him, but damn if this didn't feel like the same shit. Loved seeing the kingdom of Talokan as it's visually breathtaking, but it slows the movie down and should've been saved for Namor's own film or show (don't kid yourself, it's gonna happen).

I wish this just stuck to a geopolitical thriller with the world trying to invade Wakanda and mine vibranium from the nation. Would've been dope if U.S. Agent was the villain of the movie working on behalf of the United Nations to destabilize Wakanda playing into the colonization themes.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus' character Allegra is here full force. I still don't like the character and the way she's used here, she should've been the Amanda Waller in this film dispatching other supers and playing the destabilizing game from the shadows.

I do love that all the women are front and center. It's rare to see a movie of this size show black women like this. Smart, strong, and capable heroes. Riri Williams leaps off the page even if her and her part of the story could've been cut.

This is easily the best film of Phase Four with Spider-Man: No Way Home close behind. It's a lot to take in on the first watch and a tad too long, but this is a worthy follow-up to the first film. This has a distinction if being only the second Marvel sequel where it acts as a direct sequel to the first film than the Avengers movie that proceeded it. The other one is The Winter Soilder. All the themes setup in the first are explored here and they make explicit references to the first with only one mention of Thanos (thank God).

With the mid-credits scene in play, I can't wait to what Black Panther 3 is.