Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectthis is probably why Young Rock is his best stuff right now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=745130&mesg_id=746666
746666, this is probably why Young Rock is his best stuff right now
Posted by Beamer6178, Wed Nov-23-22 12:30 PM
>Two hours of completely weightless CGI. Outside of the two or
>so times Black Adam and Hawkman actually fight hand-to-hand,
>it just all looks like PS4 cut scene stuff. Especially the
>villain of the movie, who might be the least memorable or
>interesting villain in modern superhero cinema.
>
>And every time it looks like it's going dark or it could be a
>movie with actual vision behind it, we get the shoehorned-in
>one-liners or the corny needle drops-- all the things that the
>most risk-averse movie star alive always has to make sure the
>movies are as safe and studio tested as imaginable. Even the
>big cameo at the end doesn't feel epic, it just feels like a
>calculation.

the bar to step over to make a decent DC film is fairly low, which it does IMO, but it could have been more. And the "most risk-averse movie star alive" is tough but true. I wonder is he building towards something else that he has to keep it all so well manicured??

Considering that dude had to take his lumps in abundance and create a persona in new territory that became a household name. He did so by pushing the envelope. Even with Ballers, he was often looking less front cover and more back page.

But now, it is unfortunate that his image consultant seems to be the highest paid employee. I probably need to rewatch but the part that threw me the most is his change in tone from stoic, aloof, and not in touch with modern society Black Adam to DJ, even with the tagline "The Man in Black sent you" or parts where he wants to be distant but uses colloquial language.

Considering this was a long time passion project with less than anticipated box office returns, hopefully he takes a harder look at how other movies take more deliberation with story telling (Wakanda) so that he doesn't look over his shoulder so much. His fans ain't going nowhere, might as well commit to making better art.

Which is why Young Rock, which is his most authentic production, comes off the best to me, and I didn't anticipate it actually being good. I say that having not watched Season 3 yet and hoping it doesn't make me eat my words.