Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Black Phone (Scott Derrickson, 2022)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744856
744856, The Black Phone (Scott Derrickson, 2022)
Posted by bwood, Thu Jun-09-22 08:44 PM
This fucking thing ruled.

A nice tidy, horror thriller that makes efficient use of everything at its disposal.

This is gonna be a little too nasty (not gore wise, but content and theme wise) for normies. I can't wait to see people turned off by this.

See it in Dolby Cinema. The sound design is incredible.

Really makes me wish we could've gotten Scott Derrickson's version of Multiverse of Madness.
744857, It’s so dope to see Stephen King’s kid establish a solid legacy of his own
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-09-22 10:05 PM
He’s got a significant catalog of short stories- of which TBP is one- and came out the gate with four serious novels, a serious comic, and several quality adaptations.

It’s always great to see someone follow in such massive footsteps in a way that forges a quality legacy of their own.

I wish he’d get back to writing novels though.
744858, RE: It’s so dope to see Stephen King’s kid establish a solid legacy of his own
Posted by bwood, Thu Jun-09-22 10:26 PM
Gonna check out Joe Hill's work now
744873, Horns is a fun read. NOS4A2 has serious Shining vibes
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jun-10-22 10:25 PM
Joe created a serious villain for Nos4a2. Horns is beat described as a more “thoughtful” book in the genre, with a layer of dark humor. It will definitely make you wonder how you’re perceived.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what finally got King to do Doctor Sleep. The two books came out in the same year, and the two give small, but significant references to the other.

As far as his novels, those are the two I’d recommend to start.

As always, I recommend the books over the movie/tv adaptation. Horns has a film with Daniel Radcliffe, which is a good watch. I assume you’re aware of the Nos4a2 show.

I’d follow those with Heart Shaped Box, and finish with The Fireman
744862, he's a legend in his own right off the comics alone imo
Posted by amplifya7, Fri Jun-10-22 10:07 AM
744859, I thought this came out last year, but I definitely wanna check it.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Jun-10-22 01:53 AM