Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectEpisode 9 - continues to be the best Star Wars thing I've seen.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744690&mesg_id=746497
746497, Episode 9 - continues to be the best Star Wars thing I've seen.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Nov-02-22 07:38 AM
I made a post a couple months back that Rogue One was the best movie in the Star Wars cannon, yes better than Empire Strikes Back. ESB is the best "Star Wars movie", but Rogue One is the better movie overall and the best in the SW cannon. Which is crazy given the turmoil with that film's production - Tony Gilroy brought in to do rewrite over half the movie and a completely different third act with reshoots.

Andor is further proof of why RO is the best movie in SW, because Gilroy took all of that and has raised the bar much higher. Rogue One introduced all those characters from the rebel group, had a bunch of jumping around in the first and second act to do so, but that made us care about those characters in the third act. We're seeing all that times 10 in this series.

I'll be back for more on this specific episode, but what jumps out to me now is all the layers foreshadowing. You could see in the last episode how Ulaf was older and weaker. You saw the number of shifts he had left - 41. We saw the hand signals being used. We heard Melshi saw they weren't getting out, and that other dude on th way in said it was the last fresh air they'd breathe in. Then this episode just carefully ramps up with even more foreshadowing and build up.

Andy Serkis is KILLING it in his role. You can see in his eyes the entire episode how he's thrown off on what's been happening. After the last episode he may has well been one of the guards. Just scene by scene it just subtly builds up to what's happening.

Another random foreshadowing thing - Vel (or Val?). In the episode after the heist when she came to Coruscant to meet with Luthen's assistant she was all cleaned up in a way that was notable to me. Yes it was a contrast to her grimy appearance in the field, but it was more than that. Then last week we heard Cinta jab her with her posible cover story "I'll say I'm a rich girl running away from my family". At that point I thought maybe she was actually Luthen's daughter. But no - in this episode we find out she's Mon Mothma's sister. Brilliant. Because that means her family is even more rich than I thought. AND you know there will be tragedy here - she isn't in Rogue One or in the Original Trilogy. At some point, likely during this show, she's gonna die for the rebellion, and that will be one more loss for Mon Mothma adding more and more layers to a character we've known since Return of the Jedi and only had one freaking line in that movie about the Bothans who died for the intel about the second Death Star.