Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThat’s exactly it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744690&mesg_id=746338
746338, That’s exactly it.
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Oct-13-22 11:39 AM
Text and subtext just perfectly melded. In that scene there is SO much going on. We’re seeing what Cassian said earlier about the Empire being arrogant right in front of us. (We even saw the Empire LITERALLY being fat and satisfied with that officer.

Also during that conversation you have Gorn right there listening to it, knowing he had a past relationship with a native there. He responds to them in conversation with very careful wording - being truthful but not giving up his allegiance.

On top of that we get foreshadowing. Why is the engineer there? What is it he had planned for the planet in destroying the valley and putting the natives to work? We have no idea at this point.

This is episode 6 with HALF the season to go and I have no idea what will happen. It’s wonderful.

That brings me to another point about why this is so good, and also not fair to compare other Star Wars stories. We have ZERO expectations watching this. The only thing we know is thet Cassian makes it out alive until Rogue One. So they have all these completely new characters that can be explored, with unknown fates. Even the known characters like Mon Mothma are a blank canvas that they can explore - not like writing about Kenobi or Luke or Boba Fett or Anakin or Ahsoka where there’s all of this baggage and known history. That’s GOT to be easier as a writer/director, not having people think “that’s not what MY Luke would have done!” I hope this show is successful and encourages Lucasfilm to use the SW universe to tell completely NEW stories.

Thinking about this gives more context to what Kathleen Kennedy said about going away from Legacy characters in that interview a while back. She likely already knew how good Andor would be, along with anticipating some of the response to Kenobi and Boba Fett.