Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectEpisodes 4 and 5...loving this series.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744690&mesg_id=746275
746275, Episodes 4 and 5...loving this series.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Oct-05-22 01:31 PM
Seems like they are continuing the cadence started with the first three episodes of moving the story in 3 episode "arcs" with a couple episodes of buildup into an action filled story resolution in the third episode of the arc. It's a risky premise, but it's being done so well here.

There is SO much story telling going on in this show. It really feels like an HBO level drama. Just in episode 5 for example, you have the main story of the group planning the heist and learning to trust each other. But you also have the Mom Mothma family story, the scenes of Luthen Rael worrying about how the mission will go (and he also came to mind in the main story when they found the kyber crystal on Cassian - why would he give it to him knowing the situation? I'm sure it was purposeful - maybe another test where he WANTED Cassian to reveal the truth that he was being paid.)

Then on the Imperial side you have the lieutenant on the inside subtly arranging things to help the mission (also, we found out his backstory of falling in love with a local, damn this show is just giving us depth to characters in a way I've NEVER seen in Star Wars.) You have the interactions between Syril and his mother (the making me feel sorry for this jerk already, wow.) You have Dedra figuring out whats going on with these separate rebel sects, and her still working against her rival in secret.

ALL of this happened in an episode where "nothing really happened." The most action in the episode was that TIE Fighter flying over the crew (most terrifying TIE fighter I've ever seen/heard.) All of this is buildup to the action that I assume will happen in episode 6. Which means we'll actually care about the characters during that action. I guarantee at least one of that crew isn't making it out alive in the heist.

This is some great stuff. We have compelling characters who have motivation that makes sense on both sides, and not the typical Star Wars black and white good vs. evil type of story. I love it.