Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI don’t see that as a heavy hand, so much as cutting to the chase
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744533&mesg_id=745843
745843, I don’t see that as a heavy hand, so much as cutting to the chase
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Aug-19-22 01:52 PM
>....was the whole "she's kinda nailing being a Hulk out the
>gate cause women have to control their rage everyday"
>monologue was a little heavy handed.

That makes perfect sense IMO, particularly within the context of the scene and Bruce’s history. It was less about how to be a Hulk, and more about how to keep Jennifer in control of the transformation.

So if he’s telling her the key is anger management, and she’s saying, in simple terms, that she’s already more or less mastered anger management out of her own necessity, it accomplishes several things at once.

-Allows us to more or less just get into the story
-Gives a perfectly plausible and realistic reason for her ability to retain control

>I have no problem with the assertion itself as a civil rights
>professional, cause it's often true, but as a comic book head
>the whole condensing 15 years of Bruce being a hulk into a few
>weeks is a little disingenuous.

Bruce went through that journey nearly completely alone.

She had the benefit of his vast knowledge and study to guide her, not to mention already having a handle on the critical anger management aspect.

But this was more or less her acing the competency tests in an academy of sorts- not a mastery of operating in the field.

To that end, I don’t think this indicates that she’s now holding a Black Belt in Hulk Shit, anymore than Stark escaping that cave made him capable of inventing time travel and taking out Thanos.

I’m not super up on her in the comics, but my understanding is she doesn’t have a Hulk-ego lurking inside. It’s a more subtle personality shift, like she got a lot of sleep and drank a lot of coffee. She-Hulk is just a more outgoing version of Jennifer.

So I see this is sticking relatively close to her comic presentation, and just cutting to the chase to explain why.

I need to see more of the show though, because if she’s out here acing every real-world test without fail, I’ll have to agree with you. But I still expect to see that journey where she’s still learning what it means to have this power/gift/etc.