Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectShe-Hulk: Attorney at Law
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744533
744533, She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
Posted by bwood, Tue May-17-22 05:08 PM
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1526682986074124288?t=wonaHpjML1vEaQ_TY0L4qg&s=19

Drops August 17th on Disney+.
744536, I'm in
Posted by Beamer6178, Wed May-18-22 07:13 AM
will be good to see some Hulk too. Insecure men everywhere just lost their shit at the last scene.
744541, I'm in too. She's been one of my favorite Avengers for a while
Posted by Marbles, Wed May-18-22 10:10 AM

I got some catching up to do on the Marvel shows but I'm all over this one.
744546, RE: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law
Posted by go mack, Wed May-18-22 12:40 PM
Title and announcement seemed meh but watching the trailer I'm in, glad Ruffalo is in it too for some at least, looks fun.
744582, tatiana!!! ***throws bitcoin at the phone***
Posted by Castro, Thu May-19-22 12:43 PM
745826, Marvel keeps winning...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Aug-18-22 01:54 PM
..it's far from perfect, but everything you always wanted to know about being a hulk (and more).

The banter btwn Bruce & Jen is golden.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
745828, It’s fun. I never really need a show to break the 4th wall.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Aug-18-22 03:27 PM
I liked the explanation that gave us a shortcut on the origin. I’m ready to see more of it, and it’s got a longer episode run than the last few shows.

“Captain America FUCKS!” feels like something Jon Oliver would say on Last Week Tonight.
745830, The writing is shit
Posted by bwood, Thu Aug-18-22 07:52 PM
The ingredients are there but cotdamn does the writing hold this back.
745832, Care to expound?..
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Aug-18-22 08:13 PM
.. curious to know what rubs you the wrong way about the writers room for this series (esp after 1 EP)?

745838, Only thing I kinda disliked....
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Fri Aug-19-22 11:50 AM
....was the whole "she's kinda nailing being a Hulk out the gate cause women have to control their rage everyday" monologue was a little heavy handed.

I have no problem with the assertion itself as a civil rights professional, cause it's often true, but as a comic book head the whole condensing 15 years of Bruce being a hulk into a few weeks is a little disingenuous.

Also the bad guy (gal?) in the courtroom just plopped in the middle with no context at all? I know it's obviously gonna be explored in subsequent episodes, but it's really just dropped in there.

Lastly- when in the hell did Hulk and Stark have time to build a lab/bar on a beach????? Why is Banner so knowledgeable about Cap's dick motions? And is everyone keeping Cap's survival secret? After Endgame Hulk in particular knows that he went back in time and spent the 40's and beyond ballin' Agent Carter.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
745840, This was originally supposed to be an episode at season's end.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-19-22 12:07 PM
I don't mean in the writing process, I mean they changed it in post. This was supposed to be the penultimate episode.

So I wonder if things that seem rushed or seem unexplained are tied to that fact.
745843, I don’t see that as a heavy hand, so much as cutting to the chase
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Aug-19-22 01:52 PM
>....was the whole "she's kinda nailing being a Hulk out the
>gate cause women have to control their rage everyday"
>monologue was a little heavy handed.

That makes perfect sense IMO, particularly within the context of the scene and Bruce’s history. It was less about how to be a Hulk, and more about how to keep Jennifer in control of the transformation.

So if he’s telling her the key is anger management, and she’s saying, in simple terms, that she’s already more or less mastered anger management out of her own necessity, it accomplishes several things at once.

-Allows us to more or less just get into the story
-Gives a perfectly plausible and realistic reason for her ability to retain control

>I have no problem with the assertion itself as a civil rights
>professional, cause it's often true, but as a comic book head
>the whole condensing 15 years of Bruce being a hulk into a few
>weeks is a little disingenuous.

Bruce went through that journey nearly completely alone.

She had the benefit of his vast knowledge and study to guide her, not to mention already having a handle on the critical anger management aspect.

But this was more or less her acing the competency tests in an academy of sorts- not a mastery of operating in the field.

To that end, I don’t think this indicates that she’s now holding a Black Belt in Hulk Shit, anymore than Stark escaping that cave made him capable of inventing time travel and taking out Thanos.

I’m not super up on her in the comics, but my understanding is she doesn’t have a Hulk-ego lurking inside. It’s a more subtle personality shift, like she got a lot of sleep and drank a lot of coffee. She-Hulk is just a more outgoing version of Jennifer.

So I see this is sticking relatively close to her comic presentation, and just cutting to the chase to explain why.

I need to see more of the show though, because if she’s out here acing every real-world test without fail, I’ll have to agree with you. But I still expect to see that journey where she’s still learning what it means to have this power/gift/etc.
745848, does Hulk know what cap did?
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Aug-19-22 06:10 PM
he wasn't there, was he?

it was just falcon and winter soldier

if they never mentioned it to anyone, why would anyone know.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
745852, Hulk was right there
Posted by jrocc, Fri Aug-19-22 10:00 PM
>he wasn't there, was he?
>
>it was just falcon and winter soldier
>
>if they never mentioned it to anyone, why would anyone know.
>

Hulk was controlling the machine that sent Steve back to return the stones. when Steve comes back as an old man Bucky and Sam were the ones who went over and talked to Steve but Hulk is still right there. they all three notice him.
745856, ah, the youtube clip only shows him talking to bucky and and sam
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Aug-20-22 02:04 AM
I have not watched the movie in full since I saw it in the theater
745853, kinda weird to agree but still have an issue with it
Posted by jrocc, Fri Aug-19-22 10:01 PM
>I have no problem with the assertion itself as a civil rights
>professional, cause it's often true

you could have stopped right there.
745837, i enjoyed it
Posted by mista k5, Fri Aug-19-22 11:45 AM
i went into it thinking eh another marvel show?? i think the shows having different tones really helps in keeping me interested. the cgi didnt look as bad as it did in the trailers/stills i had seen.

ill keep watching.
745841, Ep 1 was really bad
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Aug-19-22 12:43 PM
745842, Fun, and fine. There’s not much to discuss IMO
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Aug-19-22 01:31 PM
The whole was a relatively simple origin story + training montage.

It was a fun, but not particularly meaty episode in terms of discussion fodder.
745844, Had fun with it as well. (spoilers)
Posted by Backbone, Fri Aug-19-22 01:55 PM
Heavy handed on the themes, but a lot of jokes still landed for me and the acting & CGI were really nice. Some weird editing in the courtroom fight though.

"Captain America Fucks" is not something I expected to hear (even cut off like it was) in a Disney TV show.
745845, 1 ep?
Posted by spades, Fri Aug-19-22 02:49 PM
LAME
745849, I enjoyed it. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Aug-19-22 06:11 PM
but now we have two hulks, I don't think I was going to get a logical throughline for that.

745857, marvel on disney+ hasnt let me down yet.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-20-22 01:53 PM
this series looks like its gonna test me tho lol.
745920, episode 2
Posted by mista k5, Fri Aug-26-22 11:04 AM
i think the humor is starting to wear thin on me. the hulk line about being a totally different person now was funny...not sure the wink helped though.

not really much to discuss from it.
745922, I thnk hour long epsidoes (45 mins) would help
Posted by handle, Fri Aug-26-22 01:03 PM
The pacing's weird. But I like it so far.
745928, Yeah, I’m all in after ep 2.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Aug-26-22 07:59 PM
I agree the ep length leaves a lot to be desired.

But the show itself is solid so far, and is already building an intriguing story. I wonder if this really is setting up a World War Hulk arc for Bruce.

Also, I especially like the interactions with Bruce. These sorts of mundane interactions are refreshing to the genre. Ms Marvel did the same, to great effect. Bruce razzing her for getting the She-Hulk moniker is a nice touch. I enjoy their familial bonding over this shared experience.

And they gave Blonsky a fantastic argument. I just need to see how Wong figures in.

But all in all, this looks like a fantastic (hey Marvel, fucking PLEASE make that happen!) bit of world building. They keep giving us additional layers of this world, and this is another quality entry.

I suspect things will get weightier as the show progresses, but as of now, I enjoy the generally lighter tone.
745986, Gotta say, I didn't have a twerking She Hulk on my bingo cards, but here we are
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Sep-06-22 09:51 PM
Why?

Why not?

Digging the series so far
746000, Episode 4 is a winner, for me.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Sep-08-22 03:28 PM
“Wongerz” and Madisynn are a great comedy team.

Fake Morgan Freeman co-signing whatever the fuck dude does like an ancient groupie.

Fake Jesse Williams being totally disgusted by JW in her natural state.

Randos knowing enough magic to fuck things up should’ve been the focus of Strange 2 like Mordo mentioned, even though I love Multiverse of Madness.
746006, Agreed on all parts.
Posted by spades, Fri Sep-09-22 08:52 AM
ESPECIALLY Wong & Madisynn.

I'm REALLY enjoying this show.
746007, yeah this one was pretty good
Posted by mista k5, Fri Sep-09-22 11:34 AM
746133, Yeah this is the episode where I just went with it (and GOT the show).
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Sep-26-22 11:29 AM
Like accepted that, oh this is just a light comedy MCU show. Don't take anything seriously.

Watching it like this, this was a very fun episode.

Also spent a fair amount of time wondering what sex with a she-hulk would be like...which was part of the appeal of the episode.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
746008, Hitting a stride. I love the lightness of this.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Sep-09-22 12:36 PM
It’s refreshing, and needed.

Stuffing it with characters from the movies, and fleshing out pieces of those stories is a great move.

I hope it opens the door toward more shows with a similar tone.

Tatiana Maslany is perfect. I love her for the role and I’m *really* hoping the put her in Fantastic Four.
746051, Episode 5
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Fri Sep-16-22 07:26 AM
This might be my favorite episode so far. I like that they are letting the supporting cast finally get more screen time, and it's starting to feel like the plot is finally gaining some momentum. And the "oh my clothes!" line might be my favorite 4th wall break, at least top 3.
746052, RE: Episode 5
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Sep-16-22 09:14 AM
I like that she looks like children stacked on each other when she’s in Jen form in the Hulk suit.

The new Daredevil suit was an adequate replacement for no stinger this week.

I love the “suit maker” aspect of superhero shows and lore. The DC Titans show had a good inclusion of the suit maker for the Bat Family members.
746053, MEH
Posted by handle, Fri Sep-16-22 09:16 AM
This episode seemed like a b-plot for a longer episode.

I'm still on board but this one dragged for me.

There are 9 30 minute episodes - I think 4 hour or so long episodes would have flowed better.

The day after episode 9 I'm sure someone will edit them up.
746057, Not even that. the first 5 are into/reacp, the last 5 are credits
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Sep-16-22 10:28 AM
these are 20-22 minute eps
746060, yup. FAR too short.
Posted by spades, Fri Sep-16-22 04:38 PM
746061, Super MEH
Posted by spades, Fri Sep-16-22 04:40 PM
I like DD but not enough for this reveal to make this largely boreing ep worth it. ESPECIALLY when we only get so much of these joints. They like 20 - 25 mins TOPS.

I want EVERY EP TO HIT. No time for filler.
746056, The supporting cast has always had plenty of screen time
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Sep-16-22 10:27 AM
By this point in the show, I'd prefer less of them, and more of Jen/She-Hulk.

It's a 20 minute show, and the assistant and other lawyer don't need this much tick IMO. They're little clothes subplot was boring and took up way too much of the ep for me.

With any luck, those two will fuck off for the rest of the show.
746125, It's getting funnier by the week.
Posted by JFrost1117, Sun Sep-25-22 10:36 PM
It's about 55/45 on Jen vs. the office antics, on what I enjoy more. Like "The Boys" and "Umbrella Academy", super-powered people in the general public are fucking awful people.

She looked jarring in a bad way at the beginning of the wedding fight, but the comedy overtook it, for me.
746189, Guess how old the actress playing Mallory Book is?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Sep-29-22 07:52 AM
She said she'd been married 11 years on the show and I went to Google's to process. Wow.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

746203, black clearly dont crack.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Sep-30-22 07:31 AM
746206, 51!!!!!!!!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Sep-30-22 01:15 PM
Like I would have guess early to mid 30s but in a pinch she could pull off late 20s if she had to (like if her love interest was late 20s I could believe it).

That's amazing.

746204, pretty fun episode. good ending/reveal too.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Sep-30-22 07:33 AM
746213, Which reveal do you mean?
Posted by Backbone, Sat Oct-01-22 03:20 AM
I suspected Josh was crooked the second he approached Jen, so I'm wondering if I missed something else.

Agree that it's still pretty entertaining. Tim Roth is just funny and does a splendid job of making you guess about his motives and the men's retreat angle worked out well.

Hopefully the last two episodes will offer more action with higher stakes. Up till now it's been mostly limited to She-Hulk fighting the influencer and throwing around a couple of dudes, and it never feels like there's actual danger.

I also wonder how they're going to make Daredevil feel like a superhero outside of a solo show, because heightened senses and martial arts might come off a little underwhelming next to someone who's pretty much invulnerable and can yeet a minivan across the the street without effort.
746214, nah nothing else. i was talking about that.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-01-22 08:53 AM
>I suspected Josh was crooked the second he approached Jen, so
>I'm wondering if I missed something else.

i just thought it was cool they doubled back and showed what really happened. and it was something advancing that part of the story line (whoever has been after her dna).

>Hopefully the last two episodes will offer more action with
>higher stakes. Up till now it's been mostly limited to
>She-Hulk fighting the influencer and throwing around a couple
>of dudes, and it never feels like there's actual danger.

im assuming theyll reveal who is sending these people after her dna. i dont know if we will get a full blown action sequence type finale tho. i honestly dont even know what the aim of the show is at this point or what arc she hulk is on. the past marvel shows have all had some defined goal or a problem they were trying to solve. she hulk feels more like a circular sitcom at this point.

>I also wonder how they're going to make Daredevil feel like a
>superhero outside of a solo show, because heightened senses
>and martial arts might come off a little underwhelming next to
>someone who's pretty much invulnerable and can yeet a minivan
>across the the street without effort.

dude in a world of invincible mutants tryna hit people with sticks. its gonna be a hard sell lol.
746236, Why didn't she ask dude about the needle??
Posted by handle, Mon Oct-03-22 12:06 PM
I mean why didn't she ask about the street gang more? And why they tried to stab her with a needle?

She's completely in denial/oblivious that she may be a target of something - she's kind of annoying in that way. At least Spiderman is a teenager and has sort of an excuse.
746277, good point.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Oct-06-22 02:50 AM
746288, Man I was trying to explain to my kids why DareDevil was my fav comic
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Oct-07-22 07:18 AM
They saw him here for the first time and were super underwhelmed by his powers.

I was like Daredevil was the gritty, real hero dealing with real stuff.

I don't know what the comic is now but if each show gets its own tone I would hope daredevil gets to be the grittest, most adult show. It should be like law and order, first have legal thriller, second half, when dude gets off, him hunting folks down.

746205, how long are they gonna string us along before we see daredevil?
Posted by Reeq, Fri Sep-30-22 07:39 AM
they keep listing murdock/cox in the credits for different episodes (including the last 2).
746239, is it confirmed?
Posted by mista k5, Mon Oct-03-22 01:19 PM
i know they showed the mask when she went to get fitted for her suit. i kind of figured that was gonna be it for daredevil.
746241, There are screenshots, if I remember correctly
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Oct-03-22 01:22 PM
but they could have been fakeouts.

My guess is, he's in one of the final two eps, probably along with another surprise.

No way they tease him like this without a payoff.
746247, He flipped onto the scene in the red/yellow suit in the early promos.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Oct-03-22 03:15 PM
For him to springboard into his own upcoming series, I’d think he’d need considerable screen time in these last 2 eps.
746252, Nah, he’s got Echo coming before that
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Oct-03-22 08:51 PM
He just needs a scene or two in this.

To ny understanding, he’s supposed to get some decent tick in Echo, along with Kingpin
746273, I feel like it'd be perfect for her to run into him in court, as opposed to costumed.
Posted by spades, Wed Oct-05-22 12:45 PM
746276, welp...
Posted by Reeq, Thu Oct-06-22 02:46 AM
746312, Well, I guess the writers agreed.
Posted by spades, Tue Oct-11-22 10:01 AM
lol
746286, The morning walk of shame was hilarious
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Oct-06-22 11:27 PM
I can dig this for what it is
746291, If they make her "the bad guy" and she has to run......
Posted by handle, Fri Oct-07-22 09:42 AM
I'll be pissed.

746296, #Carrie
Posted by Castro, Sat Oct-08-22 08:10 AM
too much reliance on the fourth wall banter, but the walk of shame was hilarious....barefoot walking in the grass
746308, I'm still in.
Posted by spades, Mon Oct-10-22 01:04 PM
It's not perfect, but it's damn close. The walk of shame! OMG, I LOVED it.
746314, MUCH better ep after a so-so couple of eps.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Oct-11-22 11:26 AM
I'm all in on the Matt relationship.

I hope that continues, and I hope they remain a part of each other's shows.

Still want to see her in Fantastic Four though.
746329, 4th wall break went waaaaayyyy too far.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Oct-13-22 03:04 AM
Excluding “The visual effects team has moved on to another project *Ludwig G Black Panther drums.wav*” We lost a ton of unnecessary time there. Still, enjoyed the season, overall.
746330, fucked up a perfectly fine finale.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Oct-13-22 04:32 AM
shoulda just left it at the chaotic battle royale.

i was actually enjoying the later stage of the season but it deserves all of the criticism it gets now.

this shit wrapped up like it was written by someone who intentionally wanted to piss off the fans *and* the higher ups.

what a shitty decision.

the throwback intro was dope tho.
746399, I think that was the point
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Oct-18-22 08:41 PM
The show felt very true to the comic, and I enjoyed the meta-commentary on toxic fan bases.
746343, I thought a lot of the individual jokes landed,
Posted by Backbone, Thu Oct-13-22 03:04 PM
..but I don't like how they turned the whole episode into a joke.

Quite unsatisfying.
746348, the entire history of the comic is a joke
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Oct-13-22 08:40 PM
746368, Fair enough. I'm not familiar with the comics.
Posted by Backbone, Fri Oct-14-22 04:27 PM
I liked a lot of the season, but I guess I did expect a slightly more traditional story arc & finale. Although I would have definitely also hoped for something better than Todd Phelps getting hulk powers.

Right now I'm curious as to what, if anything, Marvel is going to do with the backlash this show seems to be getting among parts of their fanbase. I hope it gets a second season, because despite not enjoying parts of the show I was entertained throughout most of it.
746346, strong disagree
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Oct-13-22 08:27 PM
the entity known as the MCU had that coming, and it was perfect to me
746364, I think I'm not a big fan of 4th wall breaking in general
Posted by mista k5, Fri Oct-14-22 11:26 AM
At least not when it gets so much emphasis. I didn't love it on Deadpool either. It seems like it's something that should be used rarely for maximum effect.

Overall I liked a lot of what they did in this show but a lot of it was cringe too. Definitely felt like I wasn't the audience for it which is fine.
746366, but that whole bit was ripped straight from the books though
Posted by Jay Doz, Fri Oct-14-22 12:30 PM
https://www.polygon.com/23311816/she-hulk-marvel-fourth-wall-jennifer-walters-powers-origin-story
746347, this series might be my favorite thing Marvel has ever filmed
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Oct-13-22 08:34 PM
funny, charming, heartfelt, self-deprecating, aggressively defensive without ever seeming insecure or petulant...really hit the sweet spot for me at this point in Marvel on screen

my previous favorite thing had been Hawkeye, but now idk...
746353, That was fun...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Oct-14-22 09:07 AM
CGI issues aside, comedy is always a good look for Marvel.

The finale is hilarious and clearly struck a nerve with a specific group of fans (lol). No, this wasn't your typical close to a series, but they nailed it.

I really hope y'all are enjoying the "Assembled" series on Disney.

746396, Felt like I was forcing myself to like the series
Posted by Lach, Tue Oct-18-22 06:24 PM
Outside of the Daredevil episode, they were all passing C+s to me.
746400, Fan-Service: The Series
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Oct-19-22 09:15 AM
Silly, weightless, achieves little.

A Hulk D+ one-off show would’ve served way more of a purpose.

Who is this honestly for? It’s like Thor love and thunder meets Sex and the City. Sprinkled into the mess is people we like , like Wong and Daredevil. Huh?
746401, This is why I stopped: Felt like I was forcing myself to like the series
Posted by Monkey Genius, Wed Oct-19-22 09:30 AM
Somewhere around Wongers and Madisynn.

Realized I was just trying to prove the incels wrong and wasn't actually enjoying myself.
746476, Two episodes in looks cool and fun but,....
Posted by normal35762, Thu Oct-27-22 02:44 PM
how she light weight showin out the Hulk tho. She ain't paid no dues or went thru no adversity yet.
746659, I liked the series but its execution was inconsistent
Posted by Beamer6178, Mon Nov-21-22 11:10 PM
The overall premise was strong, the context of the 2020s was good, and Blonsky, Wong, and Daredevil (ESPECIALLY Daredevil) worked really well. Charlie Cox really knows how to own his guest spots. A lot of cool themes were introduced and the casting and acting was pretty strong.

Problem is the episodes were too short to really flesh out issues and the dialogue was trash in way too many spots. The writing was not great. To me, the CGI was ok for the most part, but was jarring at times, and seemingly shouldn't have been since it was mainly applied to one character. It seemed much better on Bruce's island than when Jennifer was back in LA.

There are plenty of good stories to be told, they just need to be more deliberate and focused in telling them.