Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectFast X (Justin Lin, 2023)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744144
744144, Fast X (Justin Lin, 2023)
Posted by bwood, Wed Apr-20-22 10:42 AM
Praise be to white Jesus!

https://twitter.com/TheFastSaga/status/1516799999643770883?t=8qH0nezcSDwV0bDuZHRABg&s=19
744154, I've never clicked a link and been more underwhelmed
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Apr-20-22 12:16 PM
Spoiler: It's just a poster.

744263, Justin Lin just left the franchise
Posted by bwood, Tue Apr-26-22 06:47 PM
https://twitter.com/TheFastSaga/status/1519077787167981569?t=HnzIzq58a-L1YLmuDSsYaQ&s=19
744299, Shock to no one Vin Diesel is a dick apparently
Posted by josephmurf2384, Mon May-02-22 01:05 PM
744301, New director: Louis Leterrier. Laughable downgrade, lmao.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon May-02-22 02:24 PM
Definitely feels like a "Vin can do whatever he wants, we just need *anyone* to sit in that chair" hire.
744302, Shut your mouth! Brothers Grimsby is a classic
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Mon May-02-22 02:32 PM
I kid, I kid. This is going to be awful and like you said, its just a green light for Vin to do whatever. I'm almost surprised Universal didn't just let him direct the damn film.
744311, It's going to be a choppy-edit CGI clusterfuck for 3 hours.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon May-02-22 06:31 PM
The only hope of it being good is that the second unit has continued to shoot action even as they searched for Leterrier, so maybe it's just its own thing enough at this point that Leterrier can't put his trademark shitty action cutting into the mix.

But I have no hope for this.
744303, Vin is going to surf on a nuke and ollie off a tall building
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon May-02-22 02:37 PM
744307, He's saving that for xXx 4
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Mon May-02-22 05:18 PM
744313, Obvious downgrade, but couldn't you hope for a reversion to his early career?
Posted by Nodima, Mon May-02-22 07:12 PM
The Transporter movies are good at what they do, letting a star be a star and getting from set piece to set piece, and the Norton Hulk movie is also perfectly efficient at what it sets out to do as an early Marvel flick before the formula settled in.

Like you say, I think there's a good chance the larger Fast machine can maintain whatever it's dumb bullshit is and it's not like Fast 9 was exactly a return to the Drift/4/5/6 heyday of the franchise Lin made his name on so...

Until we see a trailer, this isn't as significant a change as it reads on paper to me. *shrug*

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
744318, Those were nearly 15+ years ago.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon May-02-22 10:05 PM
>The Transporter movies are good at what they do, letting a
>star be a star and getting from set piece to set piece, and
>the Norton Hulk movie is also perfectly efficient at what it
>sets out to do as an early Marvel flick before the formula
>settled in.

And I'd argue, outside of a couple sequences in Transporter 2, the action in the other things you mention is pretty chopped to shit. One of the best things Lin did in the Fast movies was bring visually coherent action to the stage-- Leterrier has very infrequently in his career deployed such visual coherence.
748200, Yea, I regret this lol.
Posted by Nodima, Fri May-26-23 08:03 AM

~~~~~~~~~
747356, He spearheaded the Dark Crystal Netflix series.
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Feb-10-23 08:02 PM
He also did three episodes of Lupin. That earns him a ton of trust and goodwill.

If anything, this is a downgrade for him.
747358, Do those shows have action on the scale of F&F?
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Feb-10-23 09:18 PM
Because the fact that his only big-budget feature films are The Incredible Hulk, Clash of the Titans, and Now You See Me, which range from mediocre to outright bad in terms of quality action, gives me zero faith that he can deliver something on this scale-- especially since the Fast and Furious franchise at this point basically *only* has quality action to offer at this point.

So if it's edited to shit and/or the CGI is caught slipping, it's going to be a tough sit. The last one *had* a good director, and even that became a weightless "Fast and Furious as Meme" 2.5 hour slog. And this one's going to be split into two parts?

Yeah. I'm worried. lol
747348, Trailer. Fuck! I'm in
Posted by bwood, Fri Feb-10-23 11:18 AM
https://youtu.be/32RAq6JzY-w

The use of "Notorious Thugs" is fucking mint.
747353, I'd be more excited with a different director.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Feb-10-23 03:49 PM
(I'm also concerned in general that the quality of these movies has taken a serious tumble over the last two movies, and replacing Lin, the best director in the franchise, with Leterrier just feels like a death rattle to me.)
747357, that looks really low budget compared to the past few.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Feb-10-23 09:12 PM
also the villain being jason mamoa playing jason mamoa is a let down for sure.
747351, I'ma watch it.
Posted by spades, Fri Feb-10-23 01:16 PM
I'm not particularly excited about it, but I'll be there.
748084, This is very much a Part One in the worst way possible.
Posted by bwood, Mon May-15-23 08:22 PM
Longo is right. This needed Justin Lin.

This is not fun anymore.

This shit is way too convoluted and playing with the series mythology just to keep this shit going.

Right before the credits and the mid-credits made my eyes roll into the back of my skull.
748086, This franchise has the weirdest naming convention...
Posted by soulfunk, Tue May-16-23 08:57 AM
I mean at this point they must be intentionally keeping the naming convention inconsistent...

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Fast & Furious 6
Furious 7
The Fate of the Furious
F9
Fast X
748087, Were still getting Fast X Again and Another Fast X to round out the Saga
Posted by Ceej, Tue May-16-23 10:56 AM
748088, look, abandon all logic ye who enter here.
Posted by spades, Tue May-16-23 01:16 PM
The next one could be called Fast MCMXIILV

I wouldn't blink.
748090, Up next is 'Fast II'
Posted by Nopayne, Tue May-16-23 04:09 PM
Calling it now.
748091, RE: Up next is 'Fast II'
Posted by go mack, Tue May-16-23 04:33 PM
I'm thinking Fast Eleven
748093, LMAO I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue May-16-23 06:58 PM
748094, Real Fast
Posted by rdhull, Tue May-16-23 08:54 PM
>Calling it now.
748096, Furiously Fast.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue May-16-23 09:09 PM
748108, This will be the animated reboot
Posted by Ceej, Wed May-17-23 10:34 AM
748107, LOL. IN!!
Posted by Ceej, Wed May-17-23 10:34 AM
748097, LOL I can see Bad Boys going this route if Will keeps producing
Posted by Heinz, Tue May-16-23 09:51 PM
How is the third movie called Bad Boyz 4 Life when they knew they were going to or wanted to do a fourth. Dumbest shit.

Some people shouldnt be in control creative wise. I need The Rock, Will, Kevin Hart, and Vin to stop.
748140, I don't know how to call a franchise that is already stupid more stupid
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri May-19-23 03:46 PM
Convoluted ain't even the word for this shit. As much as I like these movies for the turn-off-your-brain and watch factor, they've gone past Expendables territory.

They have to end this shit; no need for two more films.

I wonder how Paul Walker would feel about these last three films and where the franchise has gone.

I should've done my usual and waited for Amazon prime so I could watch at home in quiet shame.
748142, Flopping at the box office. Hopefully this is the end finally.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Sat May-20-23 07:55 PM
https://www.joblo.com/fast-x-on-the-way-to-a-66-million-weekend/
748198, Hopefully? The franchise has done you harm?
Posted by Ceej, Thu May-25-23 12:56 PM
weird behavior.
748143, I had dumb stupid fun
Posted by josephmurf2384, Sun May-21-23 03:30 AM
Granted nothing really made any sense. (Didn’t Brian and Mia have a kid that is not at family BBQs or in anything). I also enjoyed flamboyant Mamoa and the fact that they kept it in earth’s atmosphere.
748145, I did too. This series is like Mission Dumb-possible and I love it
Posted by pretentious username, Sun May-21-23 09:47 AM
Yeah, nothing makes sense and it’s become a parody of itself. Give me 10 more of these, cause I don’t care.

Momoa was basically playing the Joker and I couldn’t get enough. I was happy every time he was on screen.

*spoiler*

And, of course, no one can actually die in this series. It’s hilarious.
748267, Right I was wondering about Brian and Mia’s kid too
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-31-23 09:58 PM
748285, I think they have 2 kids actually lol
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Jun-02-23 10:58 AM
748191, Exhausting. 900 hours long.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-23-23 11:49 PM
Credit to the stunt team, because there was some very decent hand to hand combat here, even if the script is AI-generated, Momoa has turned it up to 11, and things that were charmingly ridiculous in entries 5 through 7 have largely been replaced with full blown self aware memes.

The cameo before the end credits started made me toss my hands up and sink into my chair. I just wish these movies would try even just a *little,* but it feels like the heart of the franchise left when Paul died, sadly.
748196, That was exactly what I thought it would be.
Posted by spades, Wed May-24-23 11:55 AM
>Credit to the stunt team, because there was some very decent
>hand to hand combat here, even if the script is AI-generated,
>Momoa has turned it up to 11, and things that were charmingly
>ridiculous in entries 5 through 7 have largely been replaced
>with full blown self aware memes.
>
>The cameo before the end credits started made me toss my hands
>up and sink into my chair. I just wish these movies would try
>even just a *little,* but it feels like the heart of the
>franchise left when Paul died, sadly.

Yeah, Paul def took the heart with him. Also, they don't have to try. It's an easy half-Billion whenever they drop one of these. Fast Cars, musclely dudes, Chicks in bikini's, Stunts.

That's it.

I wish I had a hustle this good.

You should write a parody of these, I bet you'd nail it.
748201, I just need Letty and Gina to tumble down those stairs again.
Posted by Nodima, Fri May-26-23 08:04 AM
Wild that this franchise, home to the most dumb stunts, also hosts one of the coolest straight up combat scenes I've seen in a theater.

~~~~~~~~~
748266, As a die-hard fan of the franchise this was some bullshit lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-31-23 09:53 PM
748332, this shit felt like the writers were already on strike lol.
Posted by .Monkeynuts., Sat Jun-10-23 03:11 AM
they didnt even try.
748333, lol they were quiet quitting...
Posted by soulfunk, Sat Jun-10-23 08:51 AM
748335, This was pretty disappointing
Posted by Walleye, Sat Jun-10-23 01:32 PM
If you feel free to constantly revive characters from the dead and invent beloved just-off-screen sons to avenge their father's death five movies later, then maybe you don't actually need to try a grand two (or three?) part-er. They simultaneously made Tokyo Drift take place ten years later (to justify Han's continued inclusion) and then several years earlier again (to justify Elle's age) so they're not even limited by linear time. I know Fast Five picks up immediately after Fast & Furious. There must be at least one more sequence like that as well.

Point is, I think it would have fixed a lot about this one to let the story conclude. Or, rather, some of the decisions I don't like may have been based on their desire to stretch it to two movies. For instance, it felt like the gang didn't get a lot of screen time for such a long movie. I think Dante Reyes was the biggest beneficiary of that screen time, and while I didn't hate him as a villain, I thought his affectations got a little bit stale. I guess Jacob and kid-Brian got a lot of time too and they were kind of adorable. But it was annoying how clearly they were setting up his death - which also didn't seem earned by the logic of the scene. I'm usually pretty credulous about that kind of stuff, so if I pick up on it then I assume they went way over the top.

I needed more of the gang in this, and that played as more glaring when they didn't really balance the plotlines they prioritized *or* finish the actual story. I actually think it's possible for them to turn this around for the next (or next next) movie, but somebody's got to make some better decisions about who's on screen. I'm not sure the post-credits reveal is promising in that regard. But the other, just-before-the-credits reveal was my favorite. I didn't even like Gal Gadot's character and find her hostile to the concept of acting, but that was such a stupid, bonkers moment that it felt like old, familiar Fast & Furious fun.

And finally, some of the stunts looked shitty. That doesn't happen very often in these movies. Again, I'm really credulous, so if I hated some of the stunts that means that people that know what they're talking about must hate them.