Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecti may not have been as clear
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744024&mesg_id=744074
744074, i may not have been as clear
Posted by Beamer6178, Thu Apr-14-22 11:36 PM
>>the shows named came out before streaming, or the internet
>for
>>that matter, was a thing. Black-ish has had to exist during
>>the internet of television, with distraction at an all time
>>high and focus correspondingly low.
>
>i dont think the internet really affected my view of the show
>(if i understand your point). id argue the internet is a
>better conduit for potential classic episodes/lines to flow
>cuz communication is easier, and even in that context blackish
>dont really have either (memes included).

the point i was trying to make is that there were like 5 channels on network tv during that time. commercials were an essential part of tv watching, good or bad. watching a show was more of an event that people would plan their evenings/weekends around. in the past two years, i've binged through entire series from start to finish: Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Insecure, Power, and more I can't even remember. All of this has made TV watching more efficient, but less memorable because we can now plan WHAT we're going to watch rather then where we're going to be to watch something. a week between episodes of a show that EVERYONE watched the SAME TIME creates more of a memory than something that people watch at different times. the point about syndication was dead on as well. repeat viewings help imprint an episode or lines into the consciousness.

but i'll say that because Blackish has gone much deeper on the issues, the specific lines and phrases are not as essential as the concepts and topics, whereas in the earlier sitcoms, it was all about the setup to the audience laughter, which is another element missing from much of this era's sitcoms.

>
>i think it speaks to the timelessness of some of those older
>shows that the same episodes/lines are still in the
>consciousness when the internet wasnt around.
>
>>it is FOR the culture, undeniably, and has tackled issues
>with
>>greater depth and more regularity than any of its forebears.
>
>>It goes in the Pantheon, unquestionably.
>
>
>definitely for the culture, necessary, and entertaining. i
>enjoyed the show so no argument there. still, ill acknowledge
>pantheon status but i dont think its on the same level as the
>shows mentioned. time will tell i suppose.

to be honest, i don't know whether we'll ever go back to those days with that type of imprint, there are just too many options for folks to watch shows over and over and over again. i don't even know how much will be picked up for future syndication since anyone paying for cable will be able to watch many of the same shows on streaming, sans commercials.