Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCan we talk about Black TV Comedies?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=744024&mesg_id=744024
744024, Can we talk about Black TV Comedies?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Apr-09-22 04:55 PM
Because they are lightweight having a moment.

To me the gold standards are Atlanta and Insecure. They've inspired shoes like Harlem (anything else?), But no one has been able to reproduce that sort of prestige black TV Comedies IMHOP.

However, the success of Abbot Elementary is awesome to see. A black mainstream comedy for everyone. Happy for the success of Quinta. Seems like such a good spirit and it comes through in the show. Also her "he got money" videos were hilarious so it's great to see the come up.

Southside had a dope second season. First season had a strong beginning and had a hard time towards the end. I love that it's becoming the Black Simpsons with a big cast and funny recurring characters.

Black Girl Sketch got some heat occasionally but more often don't. But it might not be made for me though.

But the show i really want to talk about, the lowkey reason I made this post, is to talk about the Bust Down on peacock. Yo, that show is nuts. Like they doing jokes I didn't think you could do in 2022. It's not anti-woke, it's post woke because they just don't seem to give AF and they not doing jokes purposely trying to rile up fokks. That being said, I'm shocked Lorne Michaels put his name on it.

I'm trying to figure out my favorite character. I can't figure out if Chris Redd is the funniest mofo ever or if he is too much, over the top.

Anyway, any shows I forgot to mention?

I figure it's better to have one post about a bunch a shows in the same vein then each show having only a couple of post.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"