Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBullet Train (David Leitch, 2022) - trailer
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743834
743834, Bullet Train (David Leitch, 2022) - trailer
Posted by c71, Sun Mar-13-22 06:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IOsk2Vlc4o

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/bullet-train-trailer-brad-pitt-david-leitch-sony-1234703095/

‘Bullet Train’ Trailer: Brad Pitt Has a One-Way Ticket to a Blood Bath
Michael Shannon, Joey King, Brian Tyree Henry, Zazie Beetz, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Bad Bunny complete the ensemble cast for the graphic novel adaptation.

Samantha Bergeson

Mar 2, 2022 9:12 am

YouTube/screenshot

Five assassins, one train, and 95 percent real-life stunts: What could possibly derail this action blockbuster?

“John Wick” director and former stuntman David Leitch tapped longtime collaborator Brad Pitt to star in “Bullet Train,” based on the graphic novel “Maria Beetle” by Kōtarō Isaka.

The first trailer for “Bullet Train” shows Pitt as one of the five assassins who boards the titular locomotive, and quickly learns that his mission seems a little too similar to that of his peers. “Bullet Train” premieres July 15.

Here’s the official synopsis from Sony: “An original movie event, ‘Bullet Train’ is a fun, delirious action-thriller from the director of ‘Deadpool 2,’ David Leitch. Brad Pitt headlines an ensemble cast of eclectic, diverse assassins — all with connected yet conflicting objectives — set against the backdrop of a non-stop ride through modern-day Japan.

Joey King, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Zazie Beetz, Brian Tyree Henry, Andrew Koji, Hiroyuki Sanada, Michael Shannon, and Benito A Martínez Ocasio (aka Bad Bunny) round out an ensemble cast that marks a slew of reunions both behind and in front of the camera.

Beetz and Henry are both stars of FX’s “Atlanta,” while director Leitch served as Pitt’s stunt double on films such as “Troy,” “Fight Club,” and “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” before becoming a director with breakout franchise “John Wick.”

Leitch also directed “Atomic Blonde,” “Deadpool 2” and “Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw,” so the director knows a thing or two about stunt-making.

Pitt said that he performed “95 percent” of his own stunts, proving that his “Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood” alter ego landed him more than just an Oscar but also some stuntman intel.

“We were fortunate to be shooting in L.A. during a time when artists were ready to get back to work and having Brad on the project — hot off an Oscar win and having a great script by Zak Olkewicz — really did attract the best people,” Leitch told Vulture. “We were able to get people back to work safely during a pandemic, which is pretty amazing.”

Lady Gaga was reportedly to star in the film at one point but parted ways due to scheduling conflicts in 2020. Her role was taken over by Sandra Bullock, whose voice you can hear in the trailer.
745576, up
Posted by c71, Sat Aug-06-22 03:38 AM
^
745581, neither trailer i saw made me want to go see it
Posted by howisya, Sat Aug-06-22 02:31 PM
it just seemed strictly commercial to the point of blandness. the review i heard this week said it's pretty fun, like a live action bugs bunny, until the final act, which is bad and beneath brad pitt, whose movies i usually like a lot.
745582, Like a late-90s ripoff-Tarantino riff mixed with Ryan Reynolds humor.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Aug-06-22 04:11 PM
If that sounds good to you, you’ll probably enjoy it. I didn’t really like it much, as I think the Ryan Reynoldsification of action cinema needs to be stopped, and I think Stahelski was so clearly the engine that made John Wick good instead of Leitch, because the action here is *fine* but not remotely remarkable. But hey, mileage may vary!
745586, expound
Posted by will_5198, Sun Aug-07-22 10:09 PM
>as I think the Ryan
>Reynoldsification of action cinema
746176, moreso guy ritchie.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Sep-28-22 02:51 PM
745583, i was gonna ask why brad pitt would even do a film like this
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-06-22 05:45 PM
but apparently the director used to be his stunt double in the past and they have a great relationship.

guess thats all it takes.
745584, It was fine, fun, and forgettable in the best of ways
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Aug-07-22 08:18 PM
Yes, the humor and setup grew old by the end. And like Longo said, the ending is really bad and unbelievable.

But in between are really likable characters played by charismatic actors. Lots of self-growth and self-help humor, which was legitimately funny as someone who has exposed himself to a fair share of that philosophy.

And while the action wasn't nearly at a fever pitch like John Wick, it was fun enough for me. Then again, I don't have much of an appetite for graphic violence anyway anymore. Maybe I like the movie less if the intensity and realism were dialed up.

The movie did seem a bit long and had that feeling where you're already 2 hours in and realize that the final battle hasn't happened yet, so you grow frustrated you'll be in your seat for another 20 minutes.

But if you subscribe to leaving *any* expectations in the lobby and turn your brain off for a couple of hours, you'll have a good time.

BTW, Ryan-Reynoldsification of action should be a meme. Very funny and on-point.
746177, this shit was surprisingly good!
Posted by Reeq, Wed Sep-28-22 02:56 PM
good acting, good dialogue, good action, good gags, cool cameos, nice twists and turns, etc.

really not much to complain about.

seems like critics shit on it but audiences loved it.
746890, I dunno. I liked it.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Dec-13-22 01:48 AM
It knows what it is. It’s a very thin ode to Tarantino. It’s fun, has meta moments, some good action scenes and was fun to turn your brain off to.
746907, Perfectly fine.
Posted by spades, Tue Dec-13-22 12:58 PM
Good action
Good Story
Good Actors

Nothing to complain about (or see) here. Great Netflix joint.
746908, Perfectly fine movie and a fun ride
Posted by calij81, Tue Dec-13-22 01:37 PM
My wife and I enjoyed it last Saturday night. Lots of good actors and cameos, fun dialogue and good action.

I would watch a sequel of this if made.
746910, was on a plane about a month ago and half the flight was watching it
Posted by thegodcam, Tue Dec-13-22 01:39 PM
746911, I echo the “fun, if forgettable” comments, but I do have one complaint
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Dec-13-22 01:48 PM
I think they were trying to create an ensemble of memorable funny/badass characters, but failed. The humor in Pitt’s character didn’t really land with me. I liked Brian Tyree Henry’s character a bit, but other than that, none of them stuck with me.
746915, I need a prequel about the "Twins"
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Dec-13-22 03:32 PM
Their relationship was the only genuinely interesting thing about this.

Otherwise, it was a blast to watch, and I'm not far from lockstep with Pretentious Username on it.

I'd love to see more of this world, but not necessarily with these particular characters apart from the "twins". But I'd go opening weekend to a prequel about them.

Everyone was "fine", but to PU's point, they didn't nail what they were going for, which is a shame. There's a very "John Wick" air about the world here, but not enough world building to stick the landing.

To that end, I'd argue that there is something here worth building on. I think a Twins film would be money, but there's still enough to work with in the right hands, IMO.

I do wish I'd have seen it in the theater, as this is a great summer popcorn flick, even if it's not particularly memorable on the whole

746922, RE: I need a prequel about the "Twins"
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Dec-13-22 07:48 PM
>Everyone was "fine", but to PU's point, they didn't nail what
>they were going for, which is a shame. There's a very "John
>Wick" air about the world here, but not enough world building
>to stick the landing.
>
>To that end, I'd argue that there is something here worth
>building on. I think a Twins film would be money, but there's
>still enough to work with in the right hands, IMO.
>

The reason I felt the movie is forgettable is that the characters and dialogue weren't nailed 100%. The "forgetableness" is more of a sign of lack of quality than anything. As unique as the characters were, there wasn't compelling enough about them as a unit that made a deep impression.

I agree that if the script was refined a bit more, maybe there's a chance to explore the "quirkiness" of the character's backstories. As it was, the movie was about 20 minutes too long. So, the story would need quite a bit of an edit and rewrite to scale back some of the plot to allow for more dialogue and exploration.
If the filmmakers nailed that, I think this movie becomes a cult favorite. Maybe a sequel is greenlit, and more of the world gets explored.
746931, I'm with this.
Posted by spades, Wed Dec-14-22 10:32 AM
746936, This would be great and I would watch it
Posted by calij81, Wed Dec-14-22 12:09 PM
You could go back and explore what happened in Bolivia or Jburg.

A sequel starring Ryan Reynolds character would be a good way to also build out the universe.