Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectPeacemaker Season 1 (HBO Max)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743640
743640, Peacemaker Season 1 (HBO Max)
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Feb-18-22 10:13 AM
OK, I've waited and waited to see if a post about this show would come up, and now that the first season is over, I'm mad I didn't do it earlier.

This show is right in James Gunn's wheelhouse, and it def leads back to his time working on Troma films. The use of hair metal was executed perfectly, he really knows what music to put into a scene.

Say what you want about Cena, but he's doing the best acting he's ever done to date in this series. I wasn't the biggest fan of his but his portrayal of Peacemaker is something else, he's showing more acting chops than Dwayne Johnson ever could.

The rest of the cast has been outstanding as well. I always enjoyed Danielle Brooks, but she got me fawning over her in this series.

I could keep going on, but bottom line, Watch This Show! It's the best thing out of the DCEU after Suicide Squad (2). Just the perfect mix of action, humor, and emotion. So glad it's getting a second season.
743641, How does this rate compared to The Boys?
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Feb-18-22 11:45 AM
To be clear with what I'm asking, is this show of the same quality as The Boys?
743643, This is Napoleon Dynamite meets Justice League meets Venture Bros
Posted by Castro, Fri Feb-18-22 12:46 PM
Its campy, violent, heart-warming and action packed....the humor is pretty much middle school boys locker room vibe, but there are times when its laugh out loud funny.
743644, ^Mostly this
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Feb-18-22 01:08 PM
It does have some middle school humor, but it goes with the main character and his sidekick who show signs of arrested development.

I would say this is more like the Amazon version to The Tick if you want to compare it to something, though a little less violent.

It's James Gunn, so if you don't like his stuff you might now enjoy this. If you don, then you're going to love it.

743646, Thanks for the response.
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Feb-18-22 02:43 PM
I'll check this out since I did see some positive reviews elsewhere for this show.

I liked Gunn's work on Guardians of the Galaxy well enough (some of the humor in those movies are a bit over the top for my tastes), but I ignored this show mainly because I assumed anything to do with recent DC Comics adaptations would be trash.
743645, yeah its crass and silly but it has a ton of heart
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Feb-18-22 01:41 PM
743647, Funnier, but way less tense, more light-hearted
Posted by stylez dainty, Fri Feb-18-22 04:47 PM
Definitely makes fun of itself (and the idea of superheroes in general) way more. But it doesn't have the dramatic stakes of The Boys, which could be genuinely creepy and tense sometimes.

Oh, but production values wise, this is another level. Great CGI and pretty much big budget movie quality effects. I don't remember Boys looking low budget, but I don't remember being impressed either.
743651, It doesn't. This is joyfully ridiculous from the very opening theme
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Feb-19-22 06:06 PM
If you get a kick out of the opening theme, then good news for you, you should love it.

If you find yourself rolling your eyes, smirking, annoyed, etc, you may as well just turn it off. Because that opening scene is just the tip of the iceberg for how ridiculous this thing is.

My wife and I love it. This shit was must see from ep 1, and we're excited that season 2 has been announced.

I wouldn't really compare it to The Boys though.

Peacemaker is all hammy, campy, scenery chewing absurdity, all the time. The Boys has some of that, but it's still generally a serious show.

Someone mentioned the middle school humor, which is basically the entire thing, but it's all done in such a fun, earnest way with a ragtag band of ill-yet-perfectly fitting absurd characters that it just works.

I think there are some basic comparisons between the two, but they're very different overall. You'd have to add way more absurd humor and a thick blanket of warmth to the Boys, or strip those elements from Peacemaker to make the two comparable.
743724, ^good description...
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Feb-26-22 01:07 AM
yeah, this take ^ above rings accurate in our house as well.

we dug both shows (The Boys and Peacemaker) equally, but yeah what you described there essentially encapsulates the main differences between the two.

character spoiler:

gotta give a special shout out to the actor playing 'Vigilante'. THIS dude steals every scene he's in.