Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectJurassic World: Dominion (Colin Treverrow, 2022)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743567
743567, Jurassic World: Dominion (Colin Treverrow, 2022)
Posted by bwood, Thu Feb-10-22 10:09 AM
https://youtu.be/fb5ELWi-ekk

Hope it's better than the last one
743571, they had me at goldblum.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Feb-10-22 12:32 PM
743577, Terrific trailer. I'm an idiot for thinking this will be good.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Feb-10-22 02:27 PM
743580, I'm mad they knew they'd suck me in with the old cast.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri Feb-11-22 09:55 AM
Knowing this movie will still be trash. And the Jason Bourne with dinosaurs motorcycle scene isn't helping. Sadly, i'll still watch.
743581, I know right? I was hype at the beginning of the trailer. Then
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Feb-11-22 11:52 AM
just when I was about to roll my eyes because I know this gonna be trash, the OGs come on the screen and they pull me back in.

Absolutely great trailer for what I know will be a bad movie.
744808, They showed it at my Top Gun screening
Posted by Nodima, Sat Jun-04-22 05:34 AM
And I had the same thought. I haven't even seen a Jurassic movie since Lost World, and I was a pre-teen then, but I found myself hoping Ron's kid would be okay and Andy from Parks & Rec would ride his motorcycle well enough to save humanity

Is it weird that because I haven't seen the first two, and I'm looking for excuses to go to theaters, I'm a little excited for this? Were the first two at least, like, fun?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
744809, Jurassic World was dumb fun. The sequel was mostly just strange
Posted by stylez dainty, Sun Jun-05-22 05:09 PM
Whatever it was called, about halfway through it turns into a haunted house movie, but with dinosaurs. Very strange, yet not all that memorable. Worth streaming for free I guess.
744946, NARRATOR: he was, in fact, an idiot.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-20-22 05:07 PM
743585, Can't be worse than the last one
Posted by spenzalii, Sat Feb-12-22 10:58 AM
That said, even with the blatant nostalgia play this does look like something I will pay to see. Just so long as they don't have talking raptors or a dino literally winking at the camera it should be fine
744945, NARRATOR: it was.
744780, Yikes.
Posted by bwood, Wed Jun-01-22 06:37 PM
2 and a half hours of callbacks. They took the first Jurassic Park and the first Jurassic World and mashed them together. Sadly, they put the little white girl from Fallen Kingdom front and center. And now that's she's a teenager, her acting got worse and she's wild annoying.

Yes, 3 is canon.

Please let this shit be extinct.
744783, This is one franchise that just never registered with me
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jun-01-22 10:12 PM
My wife is a huge fan though, so we're going to see this.

I expect it to suck a pretty bag of dicks like the rest.
744785, Do you include the original three in your take?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jun-01-22 10:25 PM
n/m
744786, The entire series.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-02-22 12:05 AM
Visuals have always been cool
Goldbloom was likable, because he’s Jeff Fuckin Goldbloom

But they’ve all been just a hair above worthless from a story standpoint
These movies are all visuals for me, with some great sci fi ideas

I like some of the scientific/technical elements, the frog dna, the Indominus rex, I like Pratt’s relationship with the velociraptors

It’s a ball of interesting concepts with largely nothing characters and, being kind, mediocre storytelling.
744819, First one was great.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jun-06-22 11:23 AM
By second one I thought, yeah there isn't a way to make human's making the same mistake again interesting.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
744826, not sure how old you are, but when it came out
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-06-22 10:28 PM
I was in elementary school and we had never seen CGI like *that* ever in our lives

looking back, the mix of CGI and practical effects was basically perfect, and better done than a lot of over-the-top CGI in decades to follow
744872, I was 12. I didn’t see it in the theaters though, so perhaps thats why
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jun-10-22 05:20 PM
the first movie I ever saw in the theater was Lion King, once it hit the dollar theater.

Prior to that, i had been to the drive in one time, to see a double feature of Honey I Shrunk The Kids and Cheetah.

So the lack of major reference points, and the fact that I didn’t see it until well after it hit VHS, may have played into my lack of enthusiasm at the time.
744864, the whole series has always been stupid as fuck to me
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-10-22 01:42 PM
this new trilogy turned the stupid up to 11. when the assistant girl got juggle combo'd in the first one i was all the way back in
744867, lol they did her dirty, for zero reason at all...
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Jun-10-22 03:33 PM
Best part of that movie too...

>this new trilogy turned the stupid up to 11. when the
>assistant girl got juggle combo'd in the first one i was all
>the way back in
744863, I’m rewatching the first two. The premise of this trilogy is hilarious.
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Jun-10-22 12:35 PM
Okay, I can buy that someone would restart the dinosaur park idea 20+ years after a disaster. It’s capitalism. That’s how things go.

But I lost it when the end was “these dinosaurs want to eat us, but when a bigger dinosaur wants to eat us, they realize their loyalty, and defend us.” Lmaooooo. I totally forgot about this. The raptor jumping on the T-Rex’s back like he’s Curious George? I fell out.

And the way the 2nd one starts with the idea that the Kill the Dinos/Save the Dinos debate would be a 50/50 split? Hilarious. It would be 90/10 at best. There wouldn’t be any congressional hearings, they’d fucking nuke the island and not even apologize.

Thank god for that A-List membership. I’m gonna go and be laughing my ass off at whatever they cook up for this new one. I just want to see the dinosaurs eat people. Do whatever gets us there. I just can’t tell if the studio/producers know it sucks and are fine with it, or if they think they’re making something on par with the Planet of the Apes reboot trilogy. They really thought they had something with “what are the ethics of killing dinosaurs?”
744865, Exactly. All that PLUS the added element of
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Jun-10-22 02:58 PM
selling killer dinosaurs on the black market...who could EVER think that would be a good idea...

>Okay, I can buy that someone would restart the dinosaur park
>idea 20+ years after a disaster. It’s capitalism. That’s
>how things go.
>
>But I lost it when the end was “these dinosaurs want to eat
>us, but when a bigger dinosaur wants to eat us, they realize
>their loyalty, and defend us.” Lmaooooo. I totally forgot
>about this. The raptor jumping on the T-Rex’s back like
>he’s Curious George? I fell out.
>
>And the way the 2nd one starts with the idea that the Kill the
>Dinos/Save the Dinos debate would be a 50/50 split? Hilarious.
>It would be 90/10 at best. There wouldn’t be any
>congressional hearings, they’d fucking nuke the island and
>not even apologize.
744868, I can actually kinda buy that, lol
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Jun-10-22 03:43 PM
Rich assholes gonna rich asshole. I was actually surprised at how low the bids were for these dinosaurs.
744869, What about that an Newman shaving cream canister
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jun-10-22 04:15 PM
744893, Imma say this now: The Lost World wasn't terrible
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jun-13-22 02:50 PM
Wasn't the first one, but wasn't as bad as anything that followed. Tonally it was all over the place. First 1/3 was bad setup (but you got to see dinos a lot sooner than Jurassic Park, so that's something, I guess?). 2nd 1/3 was a thriller/horror movie, with two fantastic set pieces (the bus dangling off the cliff and the run through the raptor grass are still fantastic) set up by the dumbest of decisions by the 'smartest' of people (why the f*ck are you keeping a jacket with baby dino blood on it?). The last 1/3 turns into wrap it up slapstick which, besides the shot of the T-Rex roaring by moonlight at the skyline, you could practically hear Spielberg saying 'let's just get this sh*t over with'. There's a good movie in there somewhere, but it's a lot of stupid to get through first.

All of which is better than laser pointer dinos and talking raptors and stealth shield super dinos.
744936, This is a trademark TOKPR but I actually like The Lost World the most
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Jun-18-22 02:49 AM
When the original Jurassic Park came out, I was hyped. I had read the novel the movie was based on and really liked its mulling of the ethics of reanimating dinosaurs and the fallout of Man playing God.

When I saw the movie, I was disappointed. The movie touched on the ethical issues outlined in the book. But, to me, the movie seemed more effective at showing how deluded Hammond was.

The movie made the story more human, I guess, by centering the story on the kids. But the kids were annoying and unlikeable, at least to me. It was also more of a family/kids movie which at the time seemed like it sold the story short.

But some aspects are truly remarkable. The score, especially the title card and the set-piece with the T-Rex were and still are amazing.

The Lost World had more of an edge and as you said, had some really cool action sequences. In this movie, I think the point about the potential for harm a God complex can cause was sold better.
744914, I didn’t hate it!
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Jun-15-22 10:56 PM
I can’t tell if it was actually alright or if I was simply happy to see the original JP protagonists involved, but whatever. I enjoyed it enough and will probably forget most of it next week.

I thought we were gonna get a bunch of scenes of dinosaurs fucking shit up in cities though. The premise was that dinosaurs and fully mixing with human society, but they didn’t really show enough of that. Then the main characters all head to a dinosaur island again for the millionth time. Kinda lame.

The highlight was the kids in the audience yelling out every type of dinosaur. That was cracking me up.
744947, A new low for the franchise. Ghastly and endless. Didn't like it!
744956, Thankfully, my son got scared by a scene and I had to take him outside
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jun-21-22 10:23 AM
Spoilers

This shit was incredibly boring, until Maisie got to the lab, and learned about Charlotte.

Then, I thought, THIS would have been an interesting movie. Get rid of the rest of this, keep Beta, and JUST Beta, ditch the poachers/spies/smuggler/Bourne chase with velociraptors nonsense, and just give us Maisie’s story, about being a clone of her mother.

Ditch the locusts.

They could have still brought back Niel, Dern, and the The God, and told a compelling story

I had to dip at the parachute/pteradactyl scene, so I don’t know what came after.

But what I saw was a reminder of how I feel about the rest of the franchise:

Some intriguing concepts, beautiful visuals (not in this one, to be honest), a genuinely thrilling moment or two, but an absolute bore of a story.

I remember liking the bind between Owen and Blue, the team up to take down the OMGHolyshitALLTHEPOWERSaur, things like that. But there’s just so little in between those moments to really care about anything in these movies

I just wanted to see people get eaten.

Also, the writing on this was downright hacky

“We like to think we’re more evolved”

Wat😬

That shit was a caricature of a scientist, and not indicative of an actual scientist who actually understands evolution.

Things like that cheapen the concepts they’re dealing with.

But it did reinforce that these really aren’t for me.7