Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHelp me with my theory, the "Glenn Line" in TV & Film
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743556&mesg_id=743556
743556, Help me with my theory, the "Glenn Line" in TV & Film
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-09-22 09:40 AM
My theory is that a film, but more likely a long running TV show, can be dark and even kill fan-favorite characters up until they cross the Glenn Line (killing that one or two beloved/invested characters) but once you cross the Glenn Line, you lose your audience.

Of course this theory is sparked by TWD. I feel like there was a massive fan falloff for this show once they killed the Glenn character (does this post need a spoiler alert for old shows)?

Game of Thrones was famous for killing off beloved characters, but they never cross the Glenn Line because they never killed Ayra Starks (would Jon Snow be considered a Glenn Line character)*.

Anyway this theory of the GLenn Line character came up because I am recommending a show to people which is super dark and they killing all sorts of characters but in my mind I had established Glenn Line Characters and this show never cross the Glenn Line.

Anyway, for this theory to work I need more examples of shows/movies that cross the Glenn Line. Anyone got any more examples?

*GoT did in a way cross a sort Glenn Line for a lot of people by turning one of their favorite characters into a villain but that's a variation of the Glenn Line for later.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"