Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHide your criminal cousins. Raylan Givens is back y'all. (Swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743411
743411, Hide your criminal cousins. Raylan Givens is back y'all. (Swipe)
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri Jan-21-22 08:00 AM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/justified-reboot-timothy-olyphant-1235075243/

Timothy Olyphant is returning as U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens in a new Justified limited series.

Confirming last year’s reports of a possible revival, FX announced Friday a new show titled Justified: City Primeval.

“Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind. A chance encounter on a desolate Florida highway sends him to Detroit. There he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and aims to do so again. Mansell’s lawyer, formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, has every intention of representing her client, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well. These three characters set out on a collision course in classic Elmore Leonard fashion, to see who makes it out of the City Primeval alive.”
743415, I'm excited but I'm going to miss the rest of the cast
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Fri Jan-21-22 12:41 PM
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the show, but no Art, Tim, Rachel, or Boyd? It's going to be a hard sale.
743419, we can afford to lose art
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-21-22 05:25 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
743705, Tarantino in talks to direct. (swipe)
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Feb-24-22 09:45 PM
https://www.joblo.com/quentin-tarantino-justified-city-primeval/
748677, First two episodes are out.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri Jul-21-23 09:14 PM
748743, A bit annoying
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Jul-28-23 09:27 AM
how all the main characters just so happen to have connections to one another given that this takes places in a relatively large city of Detroit, but I'll let it slide as I was a huge fan of the main series.

Somewhat interesting to have Olyphant's real daughter play his daughter here. I also wasn't aware Cross Colors jackets made a comeback.
748745, I mean, that's standard Elmore Leonard stuff
Posted by navajo joe, Fri Jul-28-23 01:38 PM
The fact that this is an Elmore Leonard novel that Raylan Givens wasn't even in definitely shows though.

My biggest issue is that it doesn't sing like Justified used to. I used to watch episodes 2x in a week because of how just how good the writing was and how they'd gotten the perfect actors for each role to deliver it. I'm struggling to even get through episodes of this once. If there's anything this reminds me of thus far is Season 5. That's the only season I'll just outright skip on rewatch.

Having Olyphant's daughter in the series was a huge misstep because she can't act for shit. The Detroit cops are almost completely unremarkable. The Albanian guy was just not on the level of a performance we'd get out of Justified of old.

Holbrook acquits himself but he'd really be a villain-of-the-week in the original series, Vondie Curtis-Hall is always a treat, and Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor is great.

I dunno, it's not killing the brand or anything but it's not exactly got me looking for them to do more Justified in the future. Maybe that'll change as the story progresses.

748750, oh you spittin
Posted by grey, Fri Jul-28-23 03:08 PM
agree with everything point by point. I’m in but it’s just not hitting like it used to.
748758, Do you have to watch the original series....
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Jul-29-23 05:56 AM
To follow this series? I always wanted to get into the original series and just never did and kind of feel like it may be too late. But this looks like a good entry point. Will I be lost if I'm not familiar with the original series?
748761, Not really
Posted by navajo joe, Sat Jul-29-23 08:31 AM
This is pretty standalone so I guess you'd be fine.

Just know it's not really on the level of the actual series.
748794, I hope episode 4 marks the turn around for this
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Aug-03-23 08:45 AM
My favorite episode of the season thus far and felt more like Justified of old.
748795, 4 slapped because
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Aug-03-23 10:51 AM
he sent the daughter home in 3

748796, that helped immensely
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Aug-03-23 12:45 PM
Plus, the Albanian duo and the roommate were better than the Albanian mark.

Raylan getting his bearings and going around bemusedly trying to avert bloodshed is always fun.

Also, Olyphant and Ellis-Taylor have great chemistry as do their characters so the last couple of scenes with them were great
748849, This season is quite mid.
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Aug-10-23 03:36 PM
Like has been already said, the Big Bad for this season is small potatoes compared to the ones Rayland faced in the past. This makes it hard to care that deeply about the characters, Rayland included. I can't fault the actors (even Olyphant's daughter) since they are doing a decent enough job with the material they are given; it just so happens that the storylines and characters pretty much suck.

I'll continue to watch since there isn't much else to watch, but I'll be surprised if this season is better than that one with Michael Rappaport's terrible southern accent.
748850, I shut this week's episode off early
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Aug-10-23 04:02 PM
It wasn't substantially worse than the first three episodes of the season but after the marked improvement of episode 4 it was just depressing.

It's definitely neck-and-neck with the Rappaport season.

I guess it's doing well on streaming so it's possible we get more after this but I'm not eager for the rest of this season much less any subsequent ones at this point.
748916, Wait, y'all saying the original series is better than this?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Aug-23-23 10:32 PM
Because I didn't watch the original series and this is my favorite show right now.

The daughter in the first few episodes was tough but it's hit a stride now (just finished EP. 6) and I'm digging everything about it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
748917, Much better....
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Aug-24-23 08:13 AM
and dont get me wrong, I am enjoying this! But yeah the OG is better. You'll love it!
748918, way better
Posted by grey, Thu Aug-24-23 10:47 AM
got better as the seasons progressed too
748919, Yes
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Aug-24-23 11:23 AM
The last two episodes of this (especially Sylvain White's ep) were good. There's plenty of things to like in here but it's not on the level of the OG. It's definitely better than the Michael Rappaport season of the original run but it's missing key elements of what made the original series so good namely the energy, humor, and deep bench of supporting characters.

The OG has more episodic structure/cas-of-the-week episodes esp. in the early seasons. It's a lot funnier and more fun and filled with deep bench of indelible characters spitting Southern-fried Shakespeare dialogue.

748920, Then I slept because this scratches and itch. Will check out the series.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Aug-24-23 12:30 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
748921, Enjoy
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Aug-24-23 01:23 PM

748924, You're in for a treat
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Aug-24-23 04:59 PM
It's like a Batman Cinematic Universe with Kentucky criminals. One of my favorite shows of all time
748932, Started rewatching the original series
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Aug-28-23 11:10 AM
It's insane how good it was out of the gate and how it's as good, if not better than I remember. I forgot that Michael Dinner had directed the first two episodes of the original run as well.

As I've mentioned before, the supporting/guest cast of the original series is one of the things that made it what it was and major component holding Primeval back. Characters that could have been complete throwaways and have been in Primeval are made memorable through an alchemy of writing and performance that just isn't there as much now. The OG Justified wouldn't have wasted David Cross and the Detroit cops would have leapt off the screen.

The case-of-the week structure that's interwoven into the larger, season/series-long narrative really help. It has that old-school 70s/80s feel where each episode you get a great surprise of an actor you love popping up and making a hell of an impression even if they only did a day's work. I also forgot how much the show was a Deadwood reunion.

Plus, the dialogue is still just levels above. So funny, so sharp.

I'm not as down on Primeval as my posts probably make it sound. There's a lot to like and I'll be interested to give it a rewatch after it's all said and done.

I'd love for them to continue to make more but hope they don't feel constrained by trying to fit Raylan Givens into non-Raylan Givens stories. There's really no need and they haven't really mined quite enough gold from the fish-out-of-water/Raylan being a little bit of cream in a whole lot of coffee in a post-Floyd world...justify it(sorry).
748952, This season felt like a complete and total waste of time.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Aug-30-23 12:51 PM
I won't spoil things for folks that didn't watch last night's episode yet, but the big reveal at the end of last night's episode made City Primeval feel like a complete waste if the show does indeed continue down the line they are inferring.

Overall, the characters and storylines felt way too rushed for me to care too deeply about anything that transpired; that includes anything involving Rayland as well. If the show doesn't indeed continue past City Primeval, I hope the writers will try to flesh out the characters and plot points a bit. If the ratings for this season are high, I fear that might not be the case. I suppose time will tell.
748954, RE: This season felt like a complete and total waste of time.
Posted by sosa, Wed Aug-30-23 07:59 PM
That season finale was weak sauce. Did the writers go on strike after the first 5 minutes of this episode? Go get your honor back! really?!
748955, so bad … *spoiler*
Posted by grey, Thu Aug-31-23 11:06 AM
Ol boy getting out the taxi with pins in his leg was ridiculous lmao. I don’t know whether it was supposed to be funny within the context of the show or just awful story.

They def shouldve left Boyd alone. He and givens’ arc ended perfectly imo (Ol girl did have some tiggles tho, not proud of it smh but I googled immediately lol).

748956, While I didn't find it a total waste of time...(Spoiler)
Posted by navajo joe, Thu Aug-31-23 06:16 PM
Everything with the Albanians this season has been a huge fumble. The OG consistently had finale episodes that were some of the best TV you can find (Bulletville, Bloody Harlan, Slaughterhouse, Ghosts, and The Promise) it makes this episode all the more disappointing.

One of the things rewatching the OG has reinforced is how much supporting characters were given a chance to shine even if only for an episode or even a scene. The Albanian stuff here was like something out of a completely different show. Poorly written, poorly directed and acted. Just eye-rollingl shit.

The stuff with the cops was hamfisted as well. They brought up on The Ringer podcast for this that Raylan and the Detroit cops (I don't remember any of their names. A testament to how little was done with them) went to old girl's house for no reason. They literally could have waited for her to go to work which is where she was heading. Everything with them was a waste and something the OG wouldn't have fucked up.

(SPOILER ALERT)
Also, there's an interview Olyphant did w/ Sepinwall in which he states the following about his concerns for how this episode ended:

“I was also cautioning Dave and Michael, ‘Guys, if you bring ---- back at the very end of this story, you better f****** deliver on the first seven,” he said. “Because the worst thing that can happen is the audience feels, when they see Walt, Man, you guys put us through all this just to get to that?‘

Worst fears confirmed.

As a side quest it was ok but Justified fans are used to a measure of quality that this just wasn't up to. Maybe 10 episodes would've given them time to flesh some characters out but I don't think I really would want to sit through another 2 eps of what we actually got.

748966, ugh it kinda sucked :(
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Sep-03-23 01:21 AM
I'll have to circle back to the most recent replies but the final 3 eps were a constant eyeroll

748992, This wasn't the best Elroy Leonard adaptation
Posted by spenzalii, Wed Sep-06-23 08:48 AM
Since Raylan's character was never in the original story, it makes sense why for most of the series he felt like a bystander only there to wear his hat and get some ass
749127, 3/4 of the way through Season 4
Posted by navajo joe, Tue Sep-26-23 05:32 PM
The Drew Thompson mystery season. It’s a bit of a slog. It’s not season 5 but I think it’d be the weakest season if it wasn’t for that. Moving away from incorporating criminal of the week episodes really works against the show when the season-long story isn’t all that compelling (unlike season 2 and 3). There’s a mini-arc with the old boy from Perry Mason but even that doesn’t really hit right