Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectOscar is a great actor. Elevated the series.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743358&mesg_id=744350
744350, Oscar is a great actor. Elevated the series.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu May-05-22 11:23 AM
Too much of the penultimate episode and finale looked like video game cut scene CGI, imo. I realize these TV shows will have some budgetary restrictions... but you're also fucking Disney. You have plenty of money. Ramp up the effects budget by a few million and give these artists a little more time.

Still some really dumb plot stuff, as with all of these shows, where common sense is dismissed for narrative convenience. Like, the show needed Layla to follow Harrow for the finale, so they just... had her toss a scarf on her face? In those wide shots, we saw he was traveling with a pack of like nine people. Nobody said, "Hey, who's that?" at any point? Word? lmao

I also think the way they kept delaying the Jake reveal for the post credits was ridiculous. Multiple times this year, they had Marc and Steven say to each other after a massively violent outburst, "that wasn't me who did that!" "well, it wasn't me!"... and then they just moved on without examining it further whatsoever, lmao. Like, again, I get that these shows are trying to save big moments for endings and reveals and what have you... but goddamn, man, people still need to behave like people, lol.

That said, it's still one of the better Marvel shows, specifically because the Marc/Steven dynamic worked like gangbusters and Oscar's performance absolutely carried the day. Even when some of the situations got crazy and the CGI got silly, Isaac was able to ground his performance and convey genuine emotion. His acting in the finale was among the best performances in any Marvel thing to date.

I also liked that this wasn't directly tied to pre-existing characters or moments-- it felt like its own thing and even managed to feel tonally distinct from the other Marvel movies/shows for the most part. I'd love to see Marvel continue to take storytelling/character/tone risks and push away from the formula wherever they can. They're Marvel. People will watch whatever they do, so they can afford to take some stylistic swings imo.

Marvel better get off their ass and pay Isaac. I'd love to see a Moon Knight movie instead of a TV show, with a proper budget, but I realize that may be asking too much.