Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSomething I haven't seen mentioned yet...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=743080&mesg_id=743493
743493, Something I haven't seen mentioned yet...
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Feb-02-22 04:09 PM
If y'all remember way back in Fall 2020, before Season 2 of Mandalorian premiered, there was a soft announcement that Season 3 had been greenlit, and would premiere in December 2021. Then when the finale of Season 2 aired and the post credit scene announced Book of Boba Fett - that was set to come out in December 2021. There was a week or so where we and everyone else were speculating on whether both would drop at the same time, or if Season 3 of Mandalorian would be about Boba Fett instead of Mando, or whatever, until Favreau confirmed that Boob of Boba Fett was its own show with Mando season 3 coming later.

What I'm now wondering is if season 1 of Boba DID start off as season 3 of Mandalorian, and if at some point during early production/scriptwriting they decided "Hey this could be its own spin off show for Boba". They were already planning several interconnected spinoffs, with all of them planned to culminate in a "climactic story event". If this was originally a season of Mando, maybe initially Boba just had a relatively brief subplot about taking over Jabba's empire and taking out the Pikes with Mando helping. Then during writing that started turning into multiple episodes, and Filoni or Favreau came up with the idea of just expanding it, adding in the Tusken flashbacks, and making it its own show. That might explain a bit of the pacing issues.

All that being said, I still feel like some of what happened in these last two episodes (Chapters 5 and 6) should have been saved for Mandalorian. If someone was watching Mando and skipped this, they are gonna miss out on HUGE plot points when season 3 starts for Mando, the dark saber, the Armorer, Ahsoka, Luke, Grogu, etc...

As mentioned above, I'm loving all of this, but it just seems odd.