Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWest Side Story (Steven Spielberg, 2021)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=742697
742697, West Side Story (Steven Spielberg, 2021)
Posted by bwood, Mon Nov-29-21 09:26 AM
Was part of the very first audience to see this last night. I was very surprised to be blown away. I thought that this whole enterprise was a waste of Uncle Stevie's talents, but my guy made the definitive version of WEST SIDE STORY. The 1961 film is still one of the best musicals ever made. And he beat it.

Seriously Uncle Stevie went off and put his foot into this. Literally everything is better from top to bottom. Amazing.
742711, The 1961 film is one of my father's favorite movies, so I have
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Nov-30-21 10:11 AM
a LOT of memories of watching it with him, along with listening to the soundtrack that he still has on vinyl. Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim came together for CLASSIC work on that. Crazy that Sondheim passed away last week right before this new film comes out. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
742909, Been listening to the new soundtrack - this is GOOD
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Dec-15-21 08:36 AM
like REALLY GOOD. Extremely faithful to the Bernstein arrangements, vocals sound great and the instrumentation is absolutely wonderful. I don't know how popular a musical remake will be but this feels like a classic...
742925, Genuinely might be a masterpiece. I was floored.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Dec-15-21 11:50 PM