Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMovies Revisited: Is the Last Boys Scout Deplorable?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=742446
742446, Movies Revisited: Is the Last Boys Scout Deplorable?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
I think it popped up on Netflix. I remember loving the movie as a 15-16 year old. Watching it now, sheesh.

1. The opening football scene? Just demented. Pure Shock value. Why not just club baby seals.

2. The drowning rape scene played for laughs in the intro to Damein Wayans character. Turrible.

3. Bruce Willis treatment of wife and daughter?

Were the 90s really this bad?

I'm old and washed but folks have to generally agree that its a really immature movie right?

Poll question: Movies Revisited: Is the Last Boys Scout Deplorable?

Poll result (4 votes)
Yeah, aged horribly (4 votes)Vote
No way, you soft. Still a great movie! (0 votes)Vote

742472, It was also a really bad/immoral film
Posted by handle, Wed Oct-27-21 06:14 PM
At least Rampage from Flipmode Squad got his name from it.

Ebert's review said it best:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-last-boy-scout-1991

Swipe:
This movie is the future. It assumes the average audience now has no standards except those of the mob.

The only consistent theme of the film is its hatred of women. The two heroes (Willis and Damon Wayans) have a wife and a girlfriend, respectively, who cheat on them - the wife with Willis’ best friend, the girlfriend by prostituting herself. Both men are at home in this screenplay, which hates women with a particular viciousness; the verbal violence begins by calling them bitches and whores and worse, over and over again, and the message is that a man can only really trust another man. The end of the movie is peculiar in the way it insists on this; the hero, reconciled with his cheating wife, embraces her and whispers vile obscenities into her ear. We are intended to read them as tender. Then he strolls off lovingly with his buddy.

I am a reporter. I must report not only the film’s willingness to degrade women and children. I must also report the film’s slick, clever professionalism. As I said before, this film works. Despite any objection I may have felt, it plays well with an audience (although some of the people around me seemed disturbed by an extended scene in which Willis and his child curse each other).
742494, When Ebert was on, he was dead on.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Oct-29-21 01:59 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
742501, … I still really like it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Oct-30-21 02:56 AM
I’m not going to vouch for its morality or anything, but I enjoy the days when big studio action blockbuster releases had swearing and sex and violence and things that made it feel like it wasn’t market tested to oblivion. Plus, Tony Scott can direct the hell out of action.
742503, RE: Movies Revisited: Is the Last Boys Scout Deplorable?
Posted by Mgmt, Sun Oct-31-21 11:46 AM
That forced oral rape thing shocked me even at 10 years old smh.
That said, don’t yank this off of streaming. Let that outdated ugliness be on display.

>I think it popped up on Netflix. I remember loving the movie
>as a 15-16 year old. Watching it now, sheesh.
>
>1. The opening football scene? Just demented. Pure Shock
>value. Why not just club baby seals.
>
>2. The drowning rape scene played for laughs in the intro to
>Damein Wayans character. Turrible.
>
>3. Bruce Willis treatment of wife and daughter?
>
>Were the 90s really this bad?
>
>I'm old and washed but folks have to generally agree that its
>a really immature movie right?
742516, No definitely not saying yank it.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Nov-01-21 10:46 AM
There is a value for me seeing it years later and realizing how morally bankrupt it is.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

742517, Now I want to rewatch this
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Nov-01-21 01:05 PM
I remember seeing it during senior skip day when it first hit the theatres. I thought it made an interesting test run for a black/white buddy cop movie that would be Die hard 3, honestly. Still, I'm sure it's aged horribly
742525, Not going to lie, its worth re-watching.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Nov-02-21 10:25 AM
Even just to get a sense of how different Hollywood action movies have changed in the last 20 years.

It actually makes me feel good about the idea we are evolving as a people.

742553, you should. It's a solid action flick.
Posted by spades, Fri Nov-05-21 09:10 AM
742554, Better than most action flicks today, tbh.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-05-21 11:06 AM
It's Tony Scott and Shane Black.
742579, Rewatched it. Honestly, it still holds up
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Nov-08-21 08:28 PM
It's a 90's action flick thru and thru, with all its foibles. Didn't like the daughter at all, but I generally hate any kid in a R rated film, so there's that. The Long Kiss Goodnight felt the same (Shane again, and another solid 90's feeling movie).

Honestly, True Lies was waaaaaay worse than either and would not play at all these days (but I still kinda love it)

742556, Eh, even back then
Posted by Rockscissorspaper, Sat Nov-06-21 08:27 PM
I didn't think it was a "good" movie. Entertaining maybe. Similar to what the Fast movies are except not quite as over the top. The difference is I saw TLBS at the movies and I wouldn't pay to see the Fast movies for shit lol.
742570, Tony Scott da Gawd.
Posted by Heinz, Mon Nov-08-21 10:21 AM