Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSquid Game (Netflix)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=742245
742245, Squid Game (Netflix)
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Thu Sep-30-21 02:01 PM
Didn't see a post so I thought I'd drop it. Social Media has blown the series up and I have to say it lives to the hype. Really great edge of your seat thriller and a great new entrance into horror/game genre.
742246, Dae was just telling me about this shit.
Posted by spades, Thu Sep-30-21 03:14 PM
I'ma peep it soon.
742247, It sounded like something Takashi Miike had already done
Posted by Castro, Fri Oct-01-21 08:10 AM
so I passed on it.
742248, Its great. Took me a while to click it because...
Posted by KnowOne, Fri Oct-01-21 09:49 AM
it looked like a Alice in Borderland knockoff. But the story is great. Definitely see themes (and even games) they pulled from Borderland, the anime Kaiji, and the movie Battle Royale. But still unique enough to be enjoyable.
742253, pulls you in after an episode
Posted by will_5198, Sat Oct-02-21 05:51 PM
but it runs out of material while it takes the long way to the ending "reveal". not sure what was lost in translation, but even the dialog seems to repeat itself just so the mid-to-late episodes hit their 50 minutes (and one is barely a half hour).

amazing to see a subtitled Korean series be the most popular show worldwide for a week, however. would never happen with old media.
742256, native korean speakers suggest the translation quality
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Oct-03-21 08:27 AM
falls off in later episodes

I'm not sure why, but this has been a problem for netflix

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
742261, the translation falls off in the english dub, the subs, or both?
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Oct-04-21 08:31 AM
I switched to subs 2 minutes into the show.
742262, Both
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Mon Oct-04-21 09:12 AM
The dubs are just the voice actors reading the subs. I have a Korean co-worker and she was saying the translations are bad and you miss some stuff. You'd think with netflix putting out so much non-english content that they'd spend a little more money on getting proper translations going. Right not it's like the subs I used to see on anime I'd download from bit-torrent back in the early 00's
742315, the dubbing was different than the subtitles
Posted by RobOne4, Thu Oct-14-21 01:00 PM
I heard this complaint about translation being off and i watched with both subtitles and dubbing. The subtitles seemed like a google translation of dialogue or even a first draft before it got cleaned up for reading too robotic. The dubbing was way better. But yeah my korean friend said it was all around bad. Both were not good translations.
742263, It peaks at Episode 6 and is kind of a let down after
Posted by Melanism, Mon Oct-04-21 09:54 AM
It was still a fun watch.
742297, Agreed, though that’s a testament to how dope episode 6 was.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Oct-12-21 08:41 PM
From a pacing standpoint it would have been great if episode 6 was the penultimate episode, with one long episode following it as a finale.

But that episode and everything about the marble game was absolutely FLAWLESS. Every partner pair had an absolutely gut wrenching story, just beautifully well done. But to your point - if they are gonna have that much happen at that point, they needed to bring it on home afterwards. No need for so much time between 001 losing and the reveal. Showing him from behind as the host made the reveal completely obvious. Up to that point is was perfect with the subtle hints, but they shouldn’t have given anything else between 001’s death and the reveal.

To make this work they could have completely cut out the policeman subplot with trying to find his brother. The stuff that happened in that subplot was probably the most unrealistic of the show, and that’s saying a LOT. How did NO ONE find him out in that right operation, with him switching uniforms and personas and effing up on his “job” the whole time? How did his cell phone still have a charge after all that time, and taking video?and after all that it was pointless - there was never a connection between him and the main characters, and they could have done a reveal about the front man being a former winner without ever having his brother involved.

Cut that out, and you could fit episodes 7-9 into one long finale. Episode 8 was only 30 minutes anyways. Maybe also cut out the final dinner, and condense it down by having Sang Woo kill Sae-byeok right after the glass bridge, back to back after pushing the other dude off, for his full transition to evil mode before the last game.

All that being said, great watch as it was, and honestly the predictability and somewhat let down of the ending was just due to how great episode 6 was and where it fell in the season.
742298, Forgot to mention - woulda cut out the VIPs too…
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Oct-12-21 10:40 PM
If they cut the police brother subplot to tighten it up after Ep 6 they could have naturally cut out the goofy VIPs. Definitely the worst acting and dialogue of the show. I do get that it may have been intentional to make the Americans over the top stereotypes in the same way Hollywood has traditionally made Asian characters exaggerated stereotypes, but still took away from the show.
742300, Completely agree.
Posted by spades, Wed Oct-13-21 10:21 AM
The funny thing about the policeman subplot is, what did it amount to?

For all the time we spent on that shit, what was the pay off again? He was in on it? That's it?

pffft.
742301, that subplot isnt finished yet
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-13-21 11:22 AM
we saw him get shot not die. dollars to donuts he will be back
742302, Yeah - that's the only possible benefit, set up for season 2.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Oct-13-21 11:26 AM
That subplot also let us know that the games have been happening for 30+ years, and introduced the VIPs, but none of that went anywhere and could have been handled with a quick mention.

I read in an article somewhere that the policeman subplot wasn't in the writer's original draft from 2009, so maybe they added it to make the season longer. Which gets back to my point of episode 6 having been better positioned as the penultimate episode before a finale in episode 7.
742584, reminded me of The Stepfather
Posted by tully_blanchard, Tue Nov-09-21 08:14 AM
How the dude spent the whole movie looking for the guy who killed his sister, and when he finds him he gets killed, LMAO

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/
742502, started well but got formulaic / soapy very quickly
Posted by beeinfinite, Sat Oct-30-21 08:27 AM
lost interest at around the mid way point of season 1 and never went back.