Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThat's just not how this industry works and I'm sure you know that
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=742110&mesg_id=742221
742221, That's just not how this industry works and I'm sure you know that
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Sep-28-21 10:39 PM
>I thought about opportunity cost.

What's the cost?

>This movie was made. Wan put his name, energy, and weigh
>behind THIS film.

Right.
Because he's the artist.
This is his vision.

It's his film, and it's clearly a passion project.

Very few artists bat a thousand, or anywhere close. And when you have a run like Wan has had, well, he objectively, unarguably put himself in a position to do whatever the hell he wants.

He, by sheer definition, deserved to make this movie, or anything else he wanted.

Because, within his more conventional efforts, he's a proven, virtually guaranteed success. He may not get this particular blank check for a minute- but within his usual realm, he'll still get those checks. Because he's a proven commodity, until he isn't.

>There is not second season of The Watchmen, or Lovecraft
>Country.
>
>but this shit got made.

What's the actual correlation?

Did Damon Lindeloff, way back in 2019, decide he didn't want to do a Watchmen S2 because James Wan had a shitty passion project in the works?

What's the correlation to Lovecraft Country?

>Nah, fam. I can't.

Everything isn't a winner. That's just the way it is. Artists with great track records earn the right- and funding, distribution, etc- to pick and choose their projects, and sometimes those are passion projects.

Sometimes, those projects are dog shit. The creative world is filled with film/tv/music/literature efforts that are absolute garbage to most people.

And a fair amount of that garbage is beloved by someone, somewhere.

Samurai Cop turned sheer incompetence into art.

Shit, the genre itself is a breeding ground for awful movies that later become cult classics in the eyes of a rabid few.

That's the nature of this beast. I don't see the correlation between this and the aforementioned TV shows, apart from the same parent company.

Again, there are multiple people in this very post who enjoyed it.
Does your disdain trump their enjoyment?
Clearly, there's an audience.