Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectSpider-Man: No Way Home (Jon Watts, 2021)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=741652
741652, Spider-Man: No Way Home (Jon Watts, 2021)
Posted by bwood, Wed Jul-14-21 07:34 AM
The next chapter of the multiverse is coming with this. After finishing Loki, I'm very curious on how this play out.

Iron Man was the mentor in the first one.

Fury and Hill in 2.

And now Doctor Strange in this one.
741664, Spidey's suit *potential spoilers*
Posted by bwood, Thu Jul-15-21 12:30 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/spider-man-no-way-home-195827133.html
741666, RE: Spidey's suit *potential spoilers*
Posted by Nodima, Thu Jul-15-21 08:01 PM
Dislike the chestplate but the rest of it is pretty cool. Maybe it'll look better in motion but it looks pretty out of place on that toy.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
741672, I hate the chestplate.
Posted by spades, Fri Jul-16-21 10:05 AM
741963, First trailer
Posted by bwood, Mon Aug-23-21 08:43 PM
https://youtu.be/rt-2cxAiPJk
741964, *fingers crossed*
Posted by Nodima, Mon Aug-23-21 09:31 PM
After two pretty good Spidey movies with Holland, I need one great one.

But I'm also not the biggest fan of "they said the thing!" and "I recognize that!" moments being the premise for an entire movie.

Very good trailer though.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
741973, Completely agreed.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-24-21 06:07 PM

>But I'm also not the biggest fan of "they said the thing!" and
>"I recognize that!" moments being the premise for an entire
>movie.

I'd vastly prefer a straight-forward "Molina as Ock vs Spidey" movie over some giant cameo-fest.
741965, Good trailer
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Aug-24-21 07:52 AM
I hope they keep quiet about a lot in these trailers. I mean we know that the OG Doc Oc, Electro and Green Goblin are all in this, bit I don't want a reveal of the other Spidermen (Spidermans?) in a trailer. I'm also hoping for Charlie Cox back as Daredevil, bit I don't want that reveal either.

So far Feige has been smart about showing juuuust enough in trailers. I hope he keeps that up; this seems to be next to Endgame as the most spoilable MCU movie...
741969, Good shit.
Posted by spades, Tue Aug-24-21 12:40 PM
Looking like a pre-cursor to sinister 6.
741972, I wonder if some sort of Multiverse conflict is the new Gauntlet
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Aug-24-21 04:07 PM
Seems to be popping up a lot in the newest round of Marvel stuff.
741978, Clearly. Loki, Strange, now Spidey, are all pointing towards this.
Posted by spades, Wed Aug-25-21 01:11 PM
I'm sure when we know more about Eternals it will point there too.
741979, This nigga got a Born And Raised In Compton parka on. Dope trailer.
Posted by normal35762, Wed Aug-25-21 07:32 PM
Will check out the movie.
741980, Fire trailer. I don’t wanna see shit else until I’m in the theater.
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed Aug-25-21 08:13 PM
742885, My favorite live-action Spider-Man movie
Posted by bwood, Mon Dec-13-21 08:01 PM
It's fire and easily the best Marvel movie released in theaters in 2021.

*SPOILERS*

Seriously...

Last warning...

All of the rumors are true.

742886, (0-0)
Posted by jetblack, Mon Dec-13-21 09:49 PM
Breh.

Not surprised.
742940, It's excellent.
Posted by jetblack, Fri Dec-17-21 12:14 AM
Even the small moments are MAJOR.
742941, Amazing
Posted by ErnestLee, Fri Dec-17-21 10:01 AM
742942, Had high expectations going in
Posted by go mack, Fri Dec-17-21 10:07 AM
did not disappoint, this was great.

742944, Simply AMAZING. ***Spoiler tho***
Posted by Lach, Fri Dec-17-21 10:22 PM
SPOILER

MATT MURDOCK THO!!!!!!
742946, DAWG.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Dec-17-21 10:31 PM
He got that mention in the PlayStation Spider-Man game, “This guy said to call him if Spider-Man ever needed a lawyer. How did he know I was Spider-Man?”

He flexed on them super crazy.
742983, Because of that sighting I can't wait to see the Hawkeye finale
Posted by Lach, Tue Dec-21-21 11:12 AM
Marvel is doing that damn thing.
742947, I enjoyed this so much.
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Dec-17-21 10:42 PM
Hilarious at points, for sure. From May to the end, I was on the verge of tears.

Just completely undid the coolness of the Venom post-credits scene but made up for it with a whole gotdamn trailer at the end.

Speaking of, “What If…” is now canon.
742948, RE: I enjoyed this so much.
Posted by Nopayne, Fri Dec-17-21 11:31 PM
Man that whole sequence starting with the Spidey Sense leading up to her death was intense. I did not expect this out of a Spiderman movie.
742984, explain this to me (probably spoilers)
Posted by mista k5, Tue Dec-21-21 11:23 AM
>Speaking of, “What If…” is now canon.

i saw what if but i probably forgot most of what happened

nvm i think i see what you mean in the spoiler thread. discuss there.
742951, … it’s fine!
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Dec-18-21 04:19 AM
Wrote my broad, spoiler-free thoughts here: https://boxd.it/2mJhfV

For more detail, I agree with most everything Bilge Ebiri at Vulture said here, even if I ended up liking it slightly more than he did. (Spoilers in this review.) https://www.vulture.com/article/movie-review-marvels-spider-man-no-way-home.html

I liked it just fine, wish I liked it more. *REDACTED PERFORMER* is eaaaaasily the best part. If only Raimi has directed these instead of Watts… oh well, at least that makes me excited for Doctor Strange 2.
742952, No.
Posted by Heinz, Sat Dec-18-21 11:33 AM
When cinephile critics try to over analyze movies for what THEY want their movies to be or their taste vs what is actually given as a final product and what the intention of the studio/director/creatives were is hilarious to me every time. Holland is the best version of Spidey ever because he acts and is presented the same exact way as the comics were intended. The balance of coming of age/popcorn comic book movie has been done PERFECTLY.

He says it in the beginning of his review where Toby and Andrew were too old. Not believable. So did these better actors ACT their ass off as teenagers? LOL NO they didnt. We don't need Holland to be an amazing actor, the same way we dont need any of these actors to be amazing at acting in these Marvel movies. This isn't the Godfather or Citizen Kane. This is a popcorn flick. What Fiege has done best is combine a popcorn flick but still have heart. The acting has never been great in any of the movies so lets stop pretending they have been AND that they NEED to be.

Critics need to stop reviewing these types of movies with the same mindset they would when they go watch a typical "oscar worthy" film.
742955, … huh? lol
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Dec-18-21 02:36 PM
>So did these better actors ACT their ass off as teenagers? LOL NO they didnt. We don't need Holland to be an amazing actor, the same way we dont need any of these actors to be amazing at acting in these Marvel movies.

Where did Ebiri say that the acting was bad? Or that the problem with the movie was the acting? I didn’t see that anywhere in the article.

The only comment I saw was "as we watch act literal circles around everybody else, we are reminded of how lifeless and wanting the rest of the picture is." But that's not really complaining about the acting of everyone else, since most of his complaints about other characters are about what the movie gives them to do, not about the performances themselves.

>This isn't the Godfather or Citizen Kane. This is a popcorn flick... The acting has never been great in any of the movies so lets stop pretending they have been AND that they NEED to be.

Nor was he complaining that this movie wasn’t Oscar-worthy or whatever. This writer has loved plenty of popcorn films, he’s far from a snooty dude. He sung the praises of Gerard Butler’s COPSHOP just a month ago or so, lol. He just... didn't like this one.

>Critics need to stop reviewing these types of movies with the same mindset they would when they go watch a typical "oscar worthy" film.

I think there’s a big difference between “finding potential reasons why you didn’t connect with a movie” and “over-analysis.” And someone not liking a Marvel movie isn’t the same as bad criticism, lol. I liked it more than him, but his main complaints do more or less mirror my own.

I'm probably not going to deep dive too far into my thoughts beyond what I posted above, especially since everyone I know is really liking the movie, and it's not fun to be the guy who thought something everyone else loves is fine, lol. But I figured I'd at least share some of those thoughts in case anyone else was left feeling the same way I did.
742956, I think Heinz is just being a troll
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Dec-18-21 03:02 PM
I find that your love of cinema extends from the arthouse to blockbusters to outright bad movies.

I value your opinion for that reason. Your takes are grounded and aren't made to call attention to yourself for being a contrarian just to provoke a reaction.

You actually like what you do and like film culture, rather than use your platform to showcase how sophisticated your vocabulary is or how many classic films you've watched.

742957, Thanks! I really appreciate that.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Dec-18-21 04:12 PM
I've definitely tried to leave behind my trollier/more contrarian urges that I certainly wheeled out on this site when I was in college, lol. I'm glad my attempts to convey my love of movies in a more productive manner haven't been in vain.
742958, Spider-man: Rise of SkyParker (spoilers)
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sat Dec-18-21 11:05 PM
The parallels between the Spider-Man and Star Wars franchises are pretty consistent

1. Original trilogy - groundbreaking if uneven movies, with a genre defining 2nd installment

2. Garfield movies are like the prequels - obviously awful but at least commendable for having taken risks and attempting something new

3. Holland trilogy - Disney gets involved and just kind of heats up the leftovers to uninspired results

Parts of this movie were fun - obviously the three way convo before the final showdown is the highlight of the movie. There’s Big chunks of this plot that are just hilariously dumb… this whole mess starts over his friends not getting into MIT lol.

On one hand , hard to deny how much fun it is to see ELITE actors like Molina, Defoe, and Jamie Foxx on screen all at once. On the other hand…this is the best we can do with this cast of alpha-tier performers?

It really does feel like one of the Rey/Kylo Star Wars movies…at times thrilling, but mostly just a mish mosh of fan service parts that never achieves the highs of the source material it’s cribbing from.

Marvel movies often feel weightless, and sometimes they even seem void of heft on purpose (Ragnarok, and it still mostly works.) So if this movie achieves one thing it’s that the Holland Spider-Man character now has some weight to him, a trait that was sorely missing and so well felt in Raimi’s Spidey. At least now he’s experienced loss and will have to earn his wins.

742965, might be the best Spidey movie and overall MCU movie
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Dec-19-21 10:56 PM
whew boy i still have to process all of that
742970, Should have been titled, "Peter Parker"
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Dec-20-21 01:14 AM
Because that's what this was.

Anyone going hard to critique this can kick rocks, because they're missing it.

Shit was beautiful.
742985, i loved it
Posted by mista k5, Tue Dec-21-21 11:31 AM
it is marvel to the max. it is interesting how marvel can make everything work. they definitely rushed through sections that could really benefit from spending more time with but considering how much is going on it was the right choice. they spend time on the parts that really need it.

going to the spoilers thread.
742993, Non-Spoiler question for those who have seen it...
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Dec-21-21 12:25 PM
I REALLY want to wait until this is streaming because I don't want to go to a theater during this time. But just from the trailers and what I've seen from others so far (and given the huge numbers who went to see it already) I think the spoilers will be impossible to avoid for that long.

So should I just stop trying to avoid the spoilers? I mean some of the surprises seem pretty obvious based on the trailers. Should I still hold out until seeing it?
742994, No way your going to avoid spoilers - even in this thread
Posted by handle, Tue Dec-21-21 12:51 PM
It'll soon be a thumbnails on videos and in unrelated memes.

Go see it at the drive-in like I did.

There IS a good sounding but horribly shot cam rip out there is for are desperate. It'd look good if the dude would have use focus lock.
742998, Yeah I'm not even reading this actual thread...
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Dec-21-21 01:19 PM
And I've been trying to walk on eggshells all over the net, but I've still already seen some stuff.

Good call on drive-ins, didn't even think about that in the north (Michigan) but I just checked it out online and there actually are a couple up here showing it...
742997, i think it depends
Posted by mista k5, Tue Dec-21-21 01:14 PM
i think the rumors about appearances are fine to be spoiled. there are some things that happen that probably will lessen the impact if you read about it before watching it.

in the end its just a movie and i dont think you would enjoy the movie much less due to something being spoiled before watching it.

i wanted to watch eternals before watching this but im just going to wait for it to be on streaming simply because disney purposely is waiting to put it on streaming until after spiderman came out lol

im split on reading about eternals before i watch it. i think if i come across something its whatever but im not going to look for it.