Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMare of Easttown
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=741451
741451, Mare of Easttown
Posted by JayTeeDee, Sun Jun-06-21 03:14 PM
Whew Chile y'all need to be watching this white nonsense!!!
741470, this was phenomenal
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Jun-10-21 07:06 AM
what they did with that script is a feat - they span like a half dozen tones throughout that show and it never feels inauthentic. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's macabre, sometimes it's a thriller. I don't know how they did it. I haven't had that much fun watching a TV show since True Detective 1.
741474, RE: this was phenomenal
Posted by Mgmt, Thu Jun-10-21 11:38 PM
I was just likening this to True Detective 1 when discussing with my wife

>what they did with that script is a feat - they span like a
>half dozen tones throughout that show and it never feels
>inauthentic. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's macabre,
>sometimes it's a thriller. I don't know how they did it. I
>haven't had that much fun watching a TV show since True
>Detective 1.
741494, and the much more natural tone helped it stick the landing better
Posted by Nodima, Thu Jun-17-21 11:56 AM
As somebody who still thinks the ending of TDS1 was a little over-extended in its themes (because the villain just wasn't as existential as the show played it up to be) with Mare being just a normal ass woman with normal ass problems in a normal ass town, it made that ultimate message of finding hope, humanity and acceptance through the darkness a lot more affecting for me. They even managed to make you feel weirdly good about juvenile prison!

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
741481, The show is about the ravages of drugs in white communities right?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jun-14-21 09:09 AM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
741484, one of many things its about yes
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jun-14-21 10:19 PM
741491, and the black community
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jun-16-21 10:44 PM
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
741483, I accidentally read the ending for the last episode
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jun-14-21 03:20 PM
before I started the series and still binged it this weekend with full enjoyment. Pretty nice how neatly all the characters fit together and none of the plot points felt too forced.
741498, My wife and I binged this in a single day. Couldn't turn it off.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri Jun-18-21 09:57 PM
So good.
741499, big mistake turning this on after 9pm
Posted by HecticHavoc, Sat Jun-19-21 02:13 PM
watched the ENTIRE SERIES in one sitting. did it ruin my next days productivity? yes. but this was really good.
741500, Lmao. Same here.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Sun Jun-20-21 12:28 PM
It was "hey i've heard this show is good, let's check out the first episode before bed."......watched the entire thing.
741507, One of the best things about the binge watching era. Lol.
Posted by Soldado, Tue Jun-22-21 05:10 PM
Fucking up that good night of sleep cuz you gotta finish what you started by any means.
741508, (Light spoiler but not really)
Posted by Soldado, Tue Jun-22-21 05:12 PM
One twist too many, IMO.

I was cool with the twist. But the twist twist just seemed like unnecessary string pulling.
741560, I disagree with this **Heavy Spoiler**
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Jul-04-21 04:13 PM
again... for anyone scrolling

***SPIOLER***

>One twist too many, IMO.

>I was cool with the twist. But the twist twist just seemed like >unnecessary string pulling.

I saw it as more of in interesting moral dilemma, and a layer to characters rather than just an attempt at heartstrings.

Could she have just let this ride? They had their perp. Could she have just gone to Lori first? As sloppy as the planting drugs thing was, we just saw she's not above coloring outside the lines when it comes to protecting your family

I guess there's a risk of the kid someday talking, but I'm not convinced that's why she did it. Aside from just the solving the case part, the cynic in me even thinks there's an element of her thinking I lost my son, why should i stick my neck out to protect yours?

Character wise it now made more sense why Lori was willing to go along with the big lie, than just some protect the family/stand by your man shit, as well as why she would even agree to raise the baby.
For John(?) who obviously was terrible for getting with Erin, in the first place, he was willing to go down as her murderer to protect his boy.

741562, I agree
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jul-05-21 10:03 PM
I get it, but it wasn't really necessary to me
741559, Outstanding. This was as good as Your Honor should have been
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Jul-04-21 03:56 PM
Probably the best thing I've seen all year
741563, really good
Posted by grey, Tue Jul-06-21 04:07 PM
not mad at all the twist but i def understand the annoyance at the break w reality in some spots
741564, wasn't that interested, but I feel like HBO
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jul-06-21 11:16 PM
is the only place you can pull off a series like this. not specific to the content, but just the style. maybe I'm just being naïve.

anyway, Kate Winslet was phenomenal and worth watching just on her own. the rest of it was good, some of it hokey, but she makes the whole thing tick.