Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectEternals (Chloe Zhao (!!!), 2021)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=741364
741364, Eternals (Chloe Zhao (!!!), 2021)
Posted by bwood, Thu May-20-21 04:44 PM
Some brief footage in this Marvel sizzle reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI

Praying this shit is good. I have faith in Chloe. Especially with this stacked cast.
741380, Who kicked off the give indy filmmaker big franchise film craze?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed May-19-21 03:37 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
741384, Favreau?..
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu May-20-21 04:42 PM
..He might not be the first, but certainly one of the most notable indie film makers to be handed the reigns to a blockbuster film and succeed.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
741393, Favreau had already done Elf and Zathura by that point.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon May-24-21 12:37 PM
He'd already transitioned into big studio films before Iron Man.

Marvel started with established studio directors (Favreau, Branagh, Johnston), then started using folks better known for TV (Whedon, Alan Taylor, the Russos). Guys like Shane Black and James Gunn started the transition to "indie", because while they'd written screenplays for the studio system and directed minor works, they'd never done anything of that scale before.

I think Jon Watts for Spiderman: Homecoming was the first *real* indie pick from Marvel. He'd never done anything for the studio system at all, and then got handed the Spider-Man franchise. Pretty amazing.

After that's when they transitioned to Taika, Boden/Fleck, now Zhao, Shortland, etc.

There are a few examples of Marvel-to-indie directors before the MCU, but that's not much of a surprise, because it was spread around a variety of studios and no one really knew what they were doing. Sometimes it worked out (Blade II to Guillermo Del Toro), sometimes it didn't (Fantastic Four to Josh Trank).

But I think MCU's transition to indie voices is especially noteworthy because the machine is so large, and it's so easy for voices to be lost. Some of them have shone through (Taika, Black/Gunn if we want to argue for them), others have just gone along for the ride. It'll be interesting to see how this new batch does for Marvel.
741394, I don't consider Elf or Zathura blockbuster films...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Mon May-24-21 01:15 PM
...Elf greatly exceeded expectations. Zathura, not so much.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
741381, Deleted message
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed May-19-21 03:37 PM
No message
741389, Trailer
Posted by bwood, Mon May-24-21 08:18 AM
https://youtu.be/0WVDKZJkGlY

Oh man I can't wait!!!! I have faith in Chloe!!!
741390, the trailer has me interested in finding out wtf this is
Posted by Rjcc, Mon May-24-21 10:51 AM
it doesn't show enough for me to have an idea what the movie is like really, but I'll be checking for it

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
741392, Im with you on the last two statements.
Posted by normal35762, Mon May-24-21 11:56 AM
That trailer was nothing. As someone who isn't hella deep in the Marvel Universe the trailer itself did nada. Maybe it's a slow burn of a movie? The other trailers will reveal more. I will probably be checking it out.
741395, I'm with you on this
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Mon May-24-21 04:27 PM
and as a person that knows The Eternals comic history, I think they could be a hard sale for the casual MCU fan if not done right.

They're going to have to do more than a trailer showing they've been around forever and a quick line about Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.
741932, Full trailer (not watching)
Posted by bwood, Thu Aug-19-21 05:54 AM
https://youtu.be/x_me3xsvDgk
741935, I watched...what is this even about? Trailer reveals nothing really
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Aug-19-21 11:15 AM
and that's ok to me

This is a major gamble Marvel is taking here
741938, Really? I thought this one told us much more.
Posted by Nopayne, Thu Aug-19-21 01:34 PM
All I remember from the other trailer was a bunch of people standing around on cliffs.
741939, every major gamble has paid off royally though
Posted by blackfoot_female, Thu Aug-19-21 01:58 PM
iron man being central character in phase 1 and 2
guardians of the galaxy

probably a few more i'm not thinking about

741970, The fucked with the timeline, and that caused a 'equal and opposite' effect.
Posted by spades, Tue Aug-24-21 12:47 PM
"The Emergence" (Whatever the fuck that is) Apparently The Eternals stand against that.

That gives us the broad strokes.