Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectbased on what I've seen
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740911&mesg_id=740916
740916, based on what I've seen
Posted by Nodima, Mon Mar-15-21 03:40 PM
>Best Picture

>“Judas and the Black Messiah” (Warner Bros.)

It has its obvious flaws, but just the two speech scenes alone make the whole endeavor worth it and the surprising amount of "I had no idea" type anecdotes surrounding this movie prove how important it is to have a movie about the Chairman, even if it's a little watered down by Hollywood convention.

I reserve the right for Minari or Sound of Metal to sneak in here.

>
>Best Director

>Chloé Zhao (“Nomadland”)

You can't say Fincher didn't direct the hell out of Mank, but I gotta give Zhao her regards for the tone of her movie - I didn't realize it was almost entirely non-actors at any point and to me that speaks to her. Plus the movie just looks VERY good. There's a lot to talk about w/r/t the total quality of this movie but one thing I don't think anyone can reasonably complain about is its look and feel.

>
>Best Actor in a Leading Role
>

>Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)

Part of this is just 'cause we all know he's gonna get it (unless Hopkins Toosie Slides in under the radar) but he really was one of the more remarkable performances I saw this year also. Like Best Movie, I reserve the right for Ahmed or Yeun to sneak in later. I like this category.

>
>Best Actress in a Leading Role
>
>Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)

Viola was great, though I have a feeling I'd lean Mulligan if I'd seen PYW. I get why people don't like this performance but I think it's pretty period appropriate, yea?

>
>Best Actor in a Supporting Role

>Daniel Kaluuya (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)

This is a perfect opportunity for the Academy to take Cohen over Kaluuya. I hope they don't. No matter how they vote I bet this is the category with the most chatter around it.

>
>Best Actress in a Supporting Role
>
>Maria Bakalova (‘Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”)

I wasn't as taken by Seyfried in Mank as the press was, and I bet this goes to Glenn Close because the Academy has to get at least one category totally wrong (Cohen, at least, is great in his role). I didn't love Borat 2, but I did love Bakalova in Borat 2.

>
>Best Adapted Screenplay
>

>“The White Tiger,” Ramin Bahrani

I don't have a horse in this race and haven't seen this movie. But I've heard industry types really taking a liking to its premise and setting lately, so I'll go dark horse here and give Netflix a W.

>Best Original Screenplay

>“Promising Young Woman,” Emerald Fennell

Again, haven't seen it, but on paper this SOUNDS like the least conventional, properly barrel-chested of the group. I bet Sorkin wins 'cause why not? Chicago 7 definitely sings, it's just out of tune.

>“Sound of Metal,” Phillip Bladh, Nicolas Becker, Jaime
>Baksht, Michelle Couttolenc, Carlos Cortés, Carolina Santana

Please, not another war movie.

>Best Costume Design
>
>“Emma,” Alexandra Byrne

I'm not sure what's remarkable about the other movies, and this one has big hair and dresses, which...y'know...

>
>Best Animated Feature Film
>

Just wanted to note this category seems more open than it initially looks on paper. For every Soul super fan, it seems like there's two or three people that really, really bounced off of it hard.

>
>Best Cinematography
>

>“The Trial of the Chicago 7,” Phedon Papamichael

This guy shot 3:10 to Yuma, Nebraska and Ford v. Ferrari and honestly I just want him to have some gold. Maybe he already does, but he could use some more.

>
>Best Film Editing
>

>“Sound of Metal,” Mikkel E.G. Nielsen

I bet this movie was hell to put together. I should find out.

>
>Best International Feature Film
>
>“Another Round” (Denmark)

This movie hits different for me, like an inverse Leaving Las Vegas. Immediately a soft spot in the library.

>
>Best Makeup and Hairstyling
>

>“Mank,” Kimberley Spiteri, Gigi Williams

I think they swerve from Emma here and swoon for Old Hollywood.

>
>Best Production Design
>

>“Tenet,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas

Actually, considering how convoluted and hard to follow the war zone sequence is, maybe not...

>Best Visual Effects
>

Extraction should've been nominated for the one-shot. There are no winners here.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz