Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecti love movies about little worlds i don't know about
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740818&mesg_id=740860
740860, i love movies about little worlds i don't know about
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-03-21 10:04 PM
For some reason it had me remembering Chop Shop just in the sense that it was this whole little universe that i never paid attention to, but just these kinda niche cultures and loose surrogate families. that stuff is always interesting to me.

also even the use of locations like bumfuck south dakota or whatever town in nebraska they were in. Also that it's just about entirely about people who are at retirement age but can't afford to actually retire. The loss, regret, health issues that come with being over 60, but still want to soak up life on their own terms. Fucking beautiful.

McDormand was great, which made me happy because i had kind of cooled on her since 3 Billboards. Not sure what it is, it's this kinda character she plays often who's quirky and defiant, judgey in the sense that she sees through your bullshit, but also extremely likable. I wish i could articulate it better, but after 3B it started to feel a bit like shtick.
It's all present in her character here but its understated. She was also able to portray a broken woman, and a wide eye'd little girl all at once. It was really impressive.