Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMALCOLM & MARIE (NETFLIX, Levinson 2021)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740612
740612, MALCOLM & MARIE (NETFLIX, Levinson 2021)
Posted by Castro, Sat Feb-06-21 12:40 AM
John David Washington and Zendaya gonna help you seal the deal.

Netflix sets out to make thee most "Netflix and chill" movie ever.

A bottle of sweet red and this movie, and you might go...all the way.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGZmwsK58M8
740613, lmao, what? this movie isn’t romantic at ALL.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Feb-06-21 02:13 AM
They fight the whole time. And the end is incredibly bittersweet/uncertain. I wouldn’t watch this on V-Day at *all*, lol.

(Or any day, because I didn’t like it. But especially if I was looking for romance! Shit is like the anti-romance, lmao. It’s basically all about how fucking won’t make your relationship work.)
740614, Vulture trashed the sh** out of this movie, lol
Posted by Bambino Grande, Sat Feb-06-21 01:01 PM

Wonder if its really *that* bad. It cant be... can it
740616, RE: Vulture trashed the sh** out of this movie, lol
Posted by Castro, Sat Feb-06-21 07:43 PM
It is contrived....but it is entertaining.
740619, This is the lane I was in.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sat Feb-06-21 11:06 PM
I was entertained.

Plus I enjoyed the camera work.
740623, I thought it was really bad.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Feb-07-21 11:09 AM
Mostly because the script is super one-note, there's no pace, and the main male character is an unrepentant asshole, and I don't enjoy watching assholes rant badly and abusively on ten minute monologues at a time.

Pretty house though.
740629, RE: I thought it was really bad.
Posted by Castro, Sun Feb-07-21 08:45 PM
Its no worse than Godzilla King of the Monsters...in fact, its as if David Mamet made a monster movie....mac n cheese and all.

Zendaya in slinky outfits and John David Washington doing his shit is enough for it to be a Netflix and chill flick. It looks GREAT. That helps. It can be background noise for your evening.
740631, I really didn't want to like this movie.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Feb-08-21 09:48 AM
A couple arguing for 2 hours at one location written by a white guy? Didn't sound like my cup of tea. In fact, I watched it because I wanted to be able to properly bash it (I hate criticisms that start with "I didn't watch the movie but...")

But I got to say I was sucked in. I wanted to see who was right and who was wrong. I wanted to see if they stayed together. I kept wondering if they should stay together.

I was reminded of being in relationships like that and thank god I wasn't in them anymore.

I appreciated seeing an Angry Black Man that was forced to water down his rage AND he not be a criminal, or villain or necessarily punished for his rage.

It's not for everybody and I wish the Vulture reviewer just said that rather then trying to put in objective terms her inability to connect with the material. But I guess critics can't just say, "it wasn't for me".

But it was an achievement that they could have me so enthralled in a one location, two actor 90 minute flick.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
740639, props to them working with that dialogue
Posted by rdhull, Mon Feb-08-21 04:53 PM
740644, haters
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Mon Feb-08-21 10:08 PM
this was a lot better than i thought it would be. could not tell if
washington was a good actor up until this point, not bad at all. i
wonder if they're together in real life.
740647, Man, Zendaya is an amazing actress. Such an expressive face
Posted by kwez, Tue Feb-09-21 02:16 AM
740649, It was really hard for me not to see her as a kid.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-09-21 12:57 PM
Even when my kids watched her on the Disney channel, I took notice and she had a presence that signaled she could do bigger things.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
740650, It doesn't help that she's so tied to being a high school student
Posted by Nodima, Tue Feb-09-21 02:05 PM
And she's often the most believably "in high school" in both Euphoria and Spider-Man

But I only took about 5 minutes to get over it

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz