Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAnime: 2021
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740473
740473, Anime: 2021
Posted by hardware, Sat Jan-23-21 03:00 PM
we haven't talked in ages

what's been up in the past what? 2 years? lol

i've been recently spreading the gospel of Lupin III and watching trash anime. haven't dipped into the past two new seasons
740561, Jujutsu Kaisen & Sk8 Infinity...
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Feb-02-21 04:00 PM
is the new hotness. Im have to catch up on Attack on Titan.

Tower of God was epic, and I cant wait for the next season.
740575, man so i've been on a lot of shit
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-03-21 02:34 PM
Black Clover - man listen. I used to catch eps of this on Toonami late at night and thought I was the wackest shit ever. Asta yells too much. the grimoire shit seemed stupid. but over quarantine I just wanted something long as hell to watch, and 120 some odd episodes later??? whew this shit is a personal favorite. you can tell this shit was really meticulously plotted from the jump instead of winging it.

Jujutsu Kaisen - speaks for itself. the most fire shit out rn. like Yu Yu Hakusho, with the good parts of Naruto thrown in. waiting until this season ends to pick up the manga.

Tower of God from last season was fun. I read the webcomic as the show aired and they made some weird decisions on what to remove and how to structure the show, but they have some good material to work with coming up

God of High School was another fun one. I'm glad I read the webcomic after though, because the show is very different. It feels like there are whole chunks of episodes missing to provide some neccesary context and relationship building. But I can't act like the shit wasn't fun even if they did botch the adaptation.

Kengan Ashura on netflix was good mindless fun over the summer Reminded me of Tekken except if there was no game to adapt it from

Baki newest season was great. Finally got to see some Yujiro action.

Re:Zero - I watched like the first 17 eps of Season 1 and had to tap out. too much despair and hard times lol. Especially episode 15. I think my jaw was on the floor for a good 20 mins after that ended. It's a good show if you can handle that but I like my anime more consistently fun.

rewatching Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront). i feel like i didn't know when it was airing that the Trigun creator made this, but that makes a ton of sense. 2 of the main party are basically if you split Wolfwood into a man and a woman

rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho w/ a friend that typically hates shonen has given me an even greater appreciation for it

rewatching Kuroko's Basketball...i hate how flat Netflix dubs are. hoping they step it up a bit for Season 2 where the matches really pick up.

waiting patiently for JoJo Stone Ocean, the final arc of Bleach, the Shaman King remake, Demon Slayer season 2, as well as a good rip of the Demon Slayer movie. there's watchable camrips out but i'm holding out as long as i can.

holding off on reading Chainsaw Man now that I know there's an anime coming.

My Hero Academia is washed as hell. I keep up w/ the plot points but I don't like where it's going at all.

and then Persona 5 is basically anime. I'm about half through that. I doubt I'll finish it before Strikers drops though because I'm already like 55 hrs in.

the pandemic really brought the weeb back out of me.
740687, I couldnt make it past 5 eps of Black Clover
Posted by KnowOne, Fri Feb-12-21 03:25 PM
Asta annoyed me too much. I hear its great though.
740658, Bookmark
Posted by normal35762, Wed Feb-10-21 04:46 AM
740869, This web novel trend...
Posted by Kira, Fri Mar-05-21 01:25 PM
... is somewhat promising.

They chose three adaptations with cult followings. It seems like a common sense play for the right studio: audience is already there, lower marketing costs, volumes of material to pull from, and scripts are mostly written.

This is a trend that should be here to stay.

740871, Not a big anime head but I watched and enjoyed Gen:Lock
Posted by calij81, Fri Mar-05-21 01:41 PM
Not sure that counts but I really enjoyed it and can’t wait for the second season to come out on HBO Max. They had some great actors (Michael B. Jordan!), awesome visuals, very good storyline and universe they built.
740873, Just started World Trigger....
Posted by KnowOne, Fri Mar-05-21 02:16 PM
only 6 eps in but enjoying it so far. Not sure why I never gave it a shot before.
740890, Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 finally out
Posted by will_5198, Mon Mar-08-21 10:11 PM
I tapped out in the second movie but I'll probably watch all this shit again because...I'm here for the bullshit
740906, Persona 5 Royal! (yes its not anime but its basically interactive anime)
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Mar-12-21 08:17 PM
and it has a ton of anime cutscenes in it.

i got this around the time i got FF7R but i started that first. but then this absolutely captivated me for most of the last 7 months gaming-wise

130 hours from start to finish and this is my favorite JRPG of all time now. the final sequence (february final boss, not main game) is so good thematically, emotionally and gameplay wise that my stomach was actually in knots. main game boss sequence is good too but more like a conventional JRPG affair.

combat-wise its basically a modern FFX ATB system. there's one set of preset dungeons and then another dungeon tower of 100 or so randomly generated floors.
and you fight w/ demons/gods kind of like pokemon but way more powerful.

the only real criticism i would give it is you could maybe cut a 15 hr chunk, and 1 party member out and lose absolutely nothing. but i had so much fun playing it that i didn't mind it.

friendship ended w/ Final Fantasy, MegaTen is my new best friend.

740910, Now you can pick up P5 Strikers
Posted by topaz, Sun Mar-14-21 09:27 PM
Road trippin' with the Phantom Thieves
741098, i would not change one single think about P5R
Posted by hardware, Tue Apr-06-21 10:08 AM
incredible ride the entire way

love that game
741073, Demon Slayer movie is one of the best anime flicks I've seen
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Apr-01-21 07:02 PM
i'm really curious what it plays like if this is your first exposure to the series. it can definitely stand alone as an intro point. first season leads into this and the 2nd season later this year will pick up after the movie ends

if you watched season 1 though, the last 30 mins of this will have you bawling. im used to shonen flicks being hype but this one throws in a fat portion of gut wrenching emotion. between that and the visuals (a camrip blew me away. i cant wait to see it in theaters) i totally get why it set all kinds of records.
741716, just finished season 1 and 2 of Dr. Stone
Posted by Castro, Tue Jul-27-21 05:13 PM
Enjoyed it....super cool premise that is executed beautifully.
741740, I LOVE this show, but I want a dub!
Posted by spades, Fri Jul-30-21 10:58 AM
Can't really find AS online, and the HBO Max version is a sub.

I think I'm stuck somewhere between the middle of season 1 and the beginning of season 2.
741782, anyone watching Sonny Boy?
Posted by benny, Wed Aug-04-21 03:12 PM
cool concept, good sharp animation, I'm enjoying it
741832, really good so far....
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Aug-10-21 10:16 AM
thanks for the recommendation!
741783, Odd Taxi
Posted by hardware, Thu Aug-05-21 12:59 PM
watch it

cohen brothers: the anime
741798, RE: Odd Taxi
Posted by Castro, Sat Aug-07-21 02:53 PM
FUCK. YEAH.

That is all.
741799, YO THE ZOODEN episode LMAO
Posted by Castro, Sat Aug-07-21 05:11 PM
This is thee best. Thank you!
741801, not 2021 at all
Posted by Options, Sat Aug-07-21 05:42 PM
but I just got put on to series I'd never heard via —of all things— a What's in My Bag? episode with Kamasi Washington. anyone familiar with Basilisk or Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit?

I'm kinda amped to watch these as most anime I've come across in recent years has turned me *all* the way off for various reasons; I've been thinking that maybe I was done with the format altogether. but there's still hope...! for lack of a better term, these two shows look more 'adult' than the majority of what's getting hyped. had no idea they were played on Adult Swim.
741852, Darwins Game
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Aug-11-21 01:31 PM
Give me late pass, I started it and fell off half way through. Just went back and finished. Wow this had a strong ending. Hope theres a season 2 soon.
741954, so Evangelion 3.0+1.0 was pretty good
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-21-21 02:29 PM
it had the typical Evangelion trend to obfuscate for no particular reason, but this was much more coherent than the third reboot movie (I said above I tapped out in the second, but the second was good...third was very bad).

it's a solid companion piece to the original series and movies but doesn't replace them by any stretch. some of the big changes are interesting, others I didn't like so much, the action was top notch and the ending was actually uplifting and puts a bow on Evangelion forever.
741961, Fena : Pirate Princess
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Aug-23-21 03:31 PM
BEAUTIFUL animation in this one. You can tell the spend money. Story is pretty good so far too. Def a bright spot of the summer line up!