Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI see where you're coming from and I agree with allofthat
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740232&mesg_id=740304
740304, I see where you're coming from and I agree with allofthat
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Mon Jan-04-21 06:42 PM
Spike Lee films have flaws but so do all of the movies you just listed so they should be there. I think Crooklyn and Inside Man and maybe a few others should be on here.

The thing I do like about his list is that it isn't curated by one person or even a small group of people. So it's not any one voice telling me which films are better. It definitely suffers from groupthink though and it's definitely very mainstream. I also don't look at it as a comparison of any of the films on the list too much. I guess the top 100 is different than 200-250 but I think making it on the list is just a stamp of approval.

This list is pushing me out of my comfort zone. I don't think I'd have seen Seppuku otherwise and that is a masterpiece. I'm not a fan of Westerns but I figure I should at least watch the greatest hits if I'm going to keep saying that.

I also think that over time some of these movies will fall off the list once the shine wears off. LOL about Crash. I'm sure it would be on here if it had just won the Oscar, but I'm also glad that it's not on here. Yeah the Dark Knight is getting elevated by its super fans, so it can definitely be ignored, but I've seen it already so no issues from me.

I'm curious what you though about Whiplash, which I thought was pretty good, but I was definitely surprised to see it rated that high. Was it the inaccuracies about the realities of NYC music schools or the music choices, or the acting? Or something else?