Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: IMDb Charts Top Rated Movies Challenge
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740232&mesg_id=740247
740247, RE: IMDb Charts Top Rated Movies Challenge
Posted by howisya, Wed Dec-30-20 10:33 PM
#24 but seen 202 of top 250 (80%)
#1 but seen 12 of bottom 100 (https://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom)

i can't say the same for the bottom 100, but because i'd seen so much of the top 250 without trying (because it's always changing), i figure i might as well try to see the rest of what's usually on it, even though a lot of that is bollywood voted highly by that massive fanbase.

i wasn't always good about rating titles on imdb until netflix changed from stars to thumbs and i realized i needed a good place to keep track of what i've watched. now i'm proud to contribute to the site since i value user ratings and reviews as much as if not more than professional critics'.

imdb ratings can be terribly skewed, but they self-correct over time IMO.

i don't think the emoji movie belongs on the bottom 100. that's the only one of the 12 i rated a 6; the rest are all 5 or below.

i still like saving big movies for later. for instance, just today i watched The Bridge On The River Kwai (#177), and earlier this week i saw Paper Moon.

just some hot takes since i'm here:
-249. Tangerines (2013) absolutely belongs on this list, awesome movie
-32. The Usual Suspects (1995), curious how long this will stick around with singer and spacey or if there are some sickos actually voting this up in the last few years
-51. Hamilton (2020) was higher earlier in the year; i haven't seen it yet but again wonder about its staying power judged as a film
-a lot of the recurring directors on this deserve it, although nolan and kubrick (and possibly tarantino) have IMO weaker material on here because of fandoms/"like a herd mentality"
-107. Ikiru (1952) i would have higher, i prefer it to kurosawa's samurai masterpieces
-184. Tokyo Story (1953) should also be higher, incredible film
-203. Ford v Ferrari (2019) shouldn't be ranked any higher, but generally i find this movie underrated
-221. Rush (2013) as well
-245. The Help (2011) shouldn't be on it
-126. Green Book (2018) is a disgrace
-152. Shutter Island (2010) i struggle to see the appeal; i'd place bringing out the dead above it