Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYour Honor (Showtime)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740217
740217, Your Honor (Showtime)
Posted by rdhull, Mon Dec-28-20 07:11 PM
Anyone else watching this Bryan Cranston series? Its a mini blend of The Wire and Breaking Bad elements. Sheeeeits in it too.
740218, Super intense. my only complaint (spoiler?)
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Dec-28-20 08:14 PM
as that the main kid continues to piss me off.

i feel for his guilt, especially as that burden continues to pile on, but he's been doing stupid shit since even before the accident. every time you see him, you know he's just gonna make everything worse.

but the cause & effect of the show is pretty crazy/depressing. Love the setting too.
740219, RE: Super intense. my only complaint (spoiler?)
Posted by rdhull, Mon Dec-28-20 09:11 PM
>as that the main kid continues to piss me off.
>
>i feel for his guilt, especially as that burden continues to
>pile on, but he's been doing stupid shit since even before the
>accident. every time you see him, you know he's just gonna
>make everything worse.
>
>but the cause & effect of the show is pretty crazy/depressing.
>Love the setting too.

The kid is typical emo trope which is lazy writing imho..hopefully he gets more fleshed out as episode 4 shows...I get being effected by what did but a kid like that in 2020?

That cause and fact is what gives me The Wire vibe..how so much is connected and the lives of those intertwined in the incident(s)

The BB vibe with Cranston being.a more realistic human Walter White with his reaction and later decisions
740220, I don't get
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Dec-28-20 09:26 PM
why the teacher is even into this kid. because he's thoughtful and takes nice pictures? She's surely come across more impressive students. I get she has a surrogate mom thing going on with him, but the attraction doesn't make much sense, including physically. Maybe we'll learn more about her (and as you said, him) that it could come together.

Right now its my only gripe
740221, RE: I don't get
Posted by rdhull, Mon Dec-28-20 10:10 PM
>why the teacher is even into this kid. because he's
>thoughtful and takes nice pictures? She's surely come across
>more impressive students. I get she has a surrogate mom thing
>going on with him, but the attraction doesn't make much sense,
>including physically. Maybe we'll learn more about her (and as
>you said, him) that it could come together.
>
>Right now its my only gripe

That teacher seems like a kid herself and no, I dont see the attraction. Maybe the hurt butterfly kind of guy is her type. I cant believe she'd chance messing with a judges son...hey!
740224, Funny you should mention this
Posted by Pamalama, Mon Dec-28-20 11:10 PM
After watching the first 2 episodes, my husband thought Adam was mentally challenged. I told him was a young dumb kid making young dumb decisions on the anniversary of his mother’s death. You can imagine his reaction when they introduced the student teacher relationship.

And honestly, I don’t see how Michael pulled Lee.

My heart went out to Kofi. There was no way for him to win.
740225, None whatsoever!
Posted by Creole, Mon Dec-28-20 11:19 PM

>My heart went out to Kofi. There was no way for him to win.
>

I’m wondering why Cranston didn’t push harder to make sure Kofi was secured before or once the older Baxter boy was brought in to the parish prison (OPP). He made that one call. Maybe I missed some words. And then again, maybe the officer was so concerned with the game that he paid that caller no mind.

Kofi seemed like another good kid that just got caught up in the twist.
740226, I was wondering the same thing
Posted by Pamalama, Tue Dec-29-20 08:17 AM
He could’ve called so many different people to make some shit happen. Meanwhile Adam is pretty much doing everything to get caught and no consequences. Money and privilege is something else.

Another sad part (out of many) is that even when the Baxters find out Kofi didn’t do it, they’re not gonna care about what they did to Kofi’s family. And the wife has the nerve to talk about the daughter turning away from God. Crazy.
740229, Great point.
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Dec-29-20 12:45 PM
Meanwhile Adam is pretty much doing everything
>to get caught and no consequences. Money and privilege is
>something else.

Yeah the contrast is crazy. Also Kofi was a really likable kid. Considering all the weight he was carrying had a pretty breezy personality, while Adam is an emotional wreck.

>Another sad part (out of many) is that even when the Baxters
>find out Kofi didn’t do it, they’re not gonna care about
>what they did to Kofi’s family. And the wife has the nerve
>to talk about the daughter turning away from God. Crazy.

None. Plus Desire will probably clap back now. which should be interesting because even dude in prison who was breaking it down to Kofi knows they don't really have the connections and resources to go head up with the Baxters

740238, The wife! I hate her. Dude seems to be grieving and somewhat rational...
Posted by Creole, Wed Dec-30-20 02:15 PM
while she is grieving and is definitely conniving.

The Mrs. played him like a fiddle which seems to be the story writers and/or director harkening to the influence that wives have over their husbands. Whether we admit it or not, they run us.

All that to say... (spoiler alert) I HATE HER because of what happened to Kofi and his family including the one surviving brother. When they talked about making a statement, I didn’t think that would be it. I thought they’d go for the gang but not the family.

740239, same. that was some lowdown out of bounds shit
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Dec-30-20 02:38 PM
i suppose the 'making a statement' was since they think Desire went after his son, it wasn't enough to go after the guy who did it or other soldiers. they retaliated by taking out the 'killer's' whole family.

And yeah the wife is terrible and manipulative but any empathy or respect i had for Baxter is out the window. This was ultimately his call.

740530, I can't believe they did that. Makes me not want to watch anymore.
Posted by SuiteLady, Fri Jan-29-21 08:12 PM
740228, Michael / Lee
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Dec-29-20 12:35 PM
they hinted that at least rumors of an inappropriate relationship between them go way back to when she clerked for him. it doesn't make much sense looking at the two of them now, but i bought it due the history.
740230, the kid is THE WORST!
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Dec-29-20 12:56 PM
But I love the show other wise.
740265, WORST
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jan-01-21 06:21 PM

740264, Episode 5. Holy shit! (it's up early)
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jan-01-21 06:21 PM
probably the best one yet. Walls are really closing in.

WTF is this kid doing?!!! Now he's hanging out with Baxter's daughter, and he can't give his dog his meds. I have no sympathy for Adam. None.
740268, RE: Episode 5. Holy shit! (it's up early)
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jan-01-21 11:43 PM
>probably the best one yet. Walls are really closing in.
>
>WTF is this kid doing?!!! Now he's hanging out with Baxter's
>daughter, and he can't give his dog his meds. I have no
>sympathy for Adam. None.

I never had any for him from jump. He did a hit n run with extended time to have helped. He went home trying to clean his clothes etc..shock my ss.
740269, I was hoping we would get 2 eps in one weekend
Posted by Pamalama, Sat Jan-02-21 09:43 AM
But episode 6 debuts on the 10th.

As y’all stated above, I hate Gina and her righteous indignation.

But I’m loving Big Mo! She strolled in, said what she said and strolled right back out. Wonder if Carlo is gonna tell Jimmy that Kofi confirmed what Big Mo said. Still won’t matter, but Carlo had a noticeable reaction to what she was saying.

Was the store clerk illiterate, dumb or trying to be funny? The judge’s picture is in a newspaper, connected to a crime...he knows Michael deleted the security footage and the first thing he asks is if the bodyguard is the man Michael’s ‘wife’ was running around with.

And once again, Adam is about to pull another girl he has no business pulling.

740306, The preview for the next episode has me shook!
Posted by Creole, Mon Jan-04-21 07:51 PM
>probably the best one yet. Walls are really closing in.
Closing in? Nope! They’re closed and nailed shut. Will never be opened again. His Honor is stuck in the matrix now.
740290, Wife is heading toward Ozark Darlene status
Posted by Roadblock, Sun Jan-03-21 11:09 PM
Very good so far
740339, Episode 6...
Posted by Creole, Mon Jan-11-21 03:58 PM
Your Honor is caught up and won’t ever be able to get out of the game now.

I’m waiting to see how this all works out for the son though. I think he’s the worst and dumbest son ever. And Big Baxter gon light the whole town on fire now because of the daughter.

Carlo is gonna end up pushing daisies regardless. He’s making some dumb moves but I guess Momma Baxter is always there to protect her oldest boy.
740341, I don't think the son is dumb.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Jan-11-21 05:30 PM
>I’m waiting to see how this all works out for the son
>though. I think he’s the worst and dumbest son ever.

He's battling morals and probably the principles he grew up with.
And now the person who taught him those morals about being a good person
is the same person telling him to lie. He can't take it.

I think him trying to sabotage his father's plan is how he's dealing with the guilt.
People are saying he's doing stupid things to get caught,
well, that's because he WANTS to get caught. He knows he's guilty.
And if his ol' man won't listen, he's going to take matters into his own hands.
740343, All of that makes complete sense. He’s just naive...
Posted by Creole, Mon Jan-11-21 11:02 PM
and knows not who he’s really dealing with.

He should now though since he knows that Kofi’s family was killed.

We’ll see soon how it plays out.

740348, the son is SO dumb, his only saving grace is
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Jan-12-21 11:08 AM
Baxter thinks (at least for the moment) that the Dad is the one that hit his son. Other wise the son would be dead already.
740349, TBF, this show IS pretty ridiculous, no?
Posted by Bambino Grande, Tue Jan-12-21 11:50 AM

Watched all of the eps, and as intrigued as I was going in it hasn't completely managed to hold my attention. Maybe its the son (lol) or maybe its not either dramatic enough or believable enough, its more silly to me than anything. And unlike that ridiculous show The Flight Attendant this show doesn't seem aware that it is completely ridiculous. That to me would be a saving grace, the same way it would work better if it was darker, if the villains were more vicious, if the son wasn't so dumb

Its aight tho! I'll probably finish this season, but please let there not be a 2nd season lol
740351, i believe it's a one and done series
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-12-21 01:56 PM
like The Night Of

the son frustrates me to no end but i'm enjoying it otherwise. The NOLA setting definitely helps. I will say Cranston trying to worm out of dangerous situations calls back Walter White and takes me out of it at times.
740354, It being NOLA definitely helps, I agree with that 100%
Posted by Bambino Grande, Tue Jan-12-21 05:30 PM
>like The Night Of
>
>the son frustrates me to no end but i'm enjoying it otherwise.
>The NOLA setting definitely helps. I will say Cranston trying
>to worm out of dangerous situations calls back Walter White
>and takes me out of it at times.

740534, I am all caught up now too and I don’t like it
Posted by SuiteLady, Sat Jan-30-21 12:03 AM
I probably won’t finish it off
740357, There should be a show where the son teams up with Tariq St. Patrick
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Wed Jan-13-21 10:50 AM
To form the most annoying pair of characters in television history. I would angrily watch that show for years just to see both of them get what they have coming.
740372, I would hate watch that very hard
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-14-21 03:14 PM
740419, i see it
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-19-21 12:35 PM
740420, ep07. man, that was grimey
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-19-21 12:39 PM
this whole show is about destroying black people to protect an annoying white kid who nobody likes.
740423, RE: ep07. man, that was grimey
Posted by Original Juice, Tue Jan-19-21 02:03 PM
>this whole show is about destroying black people to protect
>an annoying white kid who nobody likes.

Basically.

From the first episode and on..

I think it does a good job of illustrating this reality. That that privilege many allegedly well-intentioned and liberal-minded white and non-Black people may claim they have in check can easily come out when one's back is up against the wall. Also, it shows how morality is intertwined with privilege as well.

My prediction (probably way off) is for Michael to die and for Adam to end up slowly walking into prison scared as shit while the other inmates are banging on bars in a classic "fresh fish" type scene.
740429, that dog is a narc.......
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Jan-20-21 12:32 PM
every time company comes over he pulling out new evidence! lol
740431, You and I are “here”.
Posted by Pamalama, Wed Jan-20-21 06:57 PM
I told my husband that dog wants them caught. Dude still mad ya boy forgot to give him his meds

740436, Haha!!!!
Posted by KnowOne, Thu Jan-21-21 10:57 AM
>I told my husband that dog wants them caught. Dude still mad
>ya boy forgot to give him his meds
>
>
740441, LOL
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Jan-21-21 02:47 PM
>I told my husband that dog wants them caught. Dude still mad
>ya boy forgot to give him his meds
>
>
740455, I wonder if we'll see that other dog again.
Posted by Nopayne, Fri Jan-22-21 11:17 AM
He showed up at the scene of the crash in the first episode and he seemed to still be hanging around when they revisited it in a later episode.
740432, they got braxton up in there.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Jan-20-21 07:18 PM
740448, did he purposely have the judge drinking at the bar, knowing
Posted by rdhull, Thu Jan-21-21 08:50 PM
somehow she'd get caught up?
740449, Believe so, Ditch he’s digging is getting deeper
Posted by Roadblock, Thu Jan-21-21 10:53 PM
740450, Yes. The cops were Baxter's
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Jan-21-21 11:28 PM
he said he had a way to get the case back in his court
740465, damn...fuck this cracka
Posted by rdhull, Fri Jan-22-21 08:55 PM
getting all black folk catching hell for his punk ass son, the murderer (yeah, murder). I'm sure this is series is a take on how the system works against us like someone mentioned above. The Wire and breaking Bad completely focused on the bullshit effecting us.
740507, I am on episode one so don't spoil it for me but, **slight spoiler**
Posted by SuiteLady, Tue Jan-26-21 09:50 PM
don't inhalers have an RX on them?? Or have they stopped doing that. I have never had one, but I seem to remember seeing them in the past with the same sticker label on them that RX bottles have.
740513, Okay so at episode 2 I can already see how that son is the WORST
Posted by SuiteLady, Wed Jan-27-21 09:23 PM
He already whining and has gotten away with murder. Mean while the boy being frame hasn't shed a tear. I was near tears watching them do him like that.
740514, RE: I am on episode one so don't spoil it for me but, **slight spoiler**
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jan-27-21 11:22 PM
>don't inhalers have an RX on them?? Or have they stopped
>doing that. I have never had one, but I seem to remember
>seeing them in the past with the same sticker label on them
>that RX bottles have.

Just on the box
740515, RE: I am on episode one so don't spoil it for me but, **slight spoiler**
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jan-27-21 11:22 PM
>don't inhalers have an RX on them?? Or have they stopped
>doing that. I have never had one, but I seem to remember
>seeing them in the past with the same sticker label on them
>that RX bottles have.

Just on the box
740546, i wanna see this judge get it in the worst way.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Jan-31-21 11:00 PM
like get exposed for his corruption *and* get killed.

the lengths hes going to in order to rig this trial is really starting to piss me off lol.

i keep waiting for bootleg tess thompson to blow things open but i dont think thats gonna happen in 2 episodes.
740553, Don’t say bootleg tessa thompson lmao 😭
Posted by Bambino Grande, Mon Feb-01-21 11:52 AM

But I agree, the judge needs to get shut down hard along with his annoying kid

The baxter kid too
740641, Bootleg is closed to doing just that! LMAO
Posted by Creole, Mon Feb-08-21 09:06 PM
740554, Adam, Adam, Adam (spoiler)
Posted by Pamalama, Mon Feb-01-21 04:45 PM
Never confess to your girlfriend that you killed someone, then cheat on/ break up with/lie to her. Granted, he could threaten her with statutory rape, but ummmm, yeah.

She was going to move to New York :7:7:7

Hate what he did to the juror. Judges dream of citizens like her. He has compromised or disenfranchised so many black people in this show. My blood boiled when they were at that restaurant celebrating.

On another note, damn I miss New Orleans.
740640, Baxter must think he is a saint/Robin Hood
Posted by rdhull, Mon Feb-08-21 08:28 PM
as if all of his crimes only effected adult evil doers
740642, Mrs. Baxter, Jimmy, and Your Honor...
Posted by Creole, Mon Feb-08-21 09:10 PM
In that order, they all need to go.
740659, seriously fuck this show.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Feb-10-21 08:13 AM
this shit is pissing me off lol.

all the black people getting their entire lives upended or sticking their necks out for this judge so he can protect his bitch ass son and this racist ass organized crime family.

they had an insider ready to set shit all the way off and they got him out the paint after like a 3 minute appearance by poisoning his water? might as well have not had his character come forward in the 1st place.

740660, finale prediction
Posted by Reeq, Wed Feb-10-21 08:32 AM
daddy baxter meets adam and adam starts breathing heavy from being nervous. then he pulls out his inhaler. and it occurs to daddy baxter that he was the one that hit his kid and not the father/judge. who knows where things go from there tho.

im fully resigned to the possibility that no real justice will prolly come to the baxters or desiatos. both sons will skate. chet hanks will get killed. chubby kid who is talking to bootleg tessa thompson will get killed. and everything will be left as a strong open ended suspicion to bootleg tt and the lady cop with the dick tracy villain lips.

the most realistic outcome is prolly the judge just being in the baxter family pocket for a long while. you figure a lot of (eventually) corrupt judges and other officials actually started off as honest good faith brokers until some pivotal event in their life left them open to kompromat/black mail/extortion.
740713, You got close...
Posted by Creole, Sun Feb-14-21 08:45 PM
Finale left a ton to be desired.

I only stuck around to see if what I was thinking was gonna come to pass.

Lil man avenged a story that he didn’t even know existed. Wish he’d have hit the whole Baxter family, Adam, and Michael with that choppa.

740679, I hate everybody on this show
Posted by tully_blanchard, Fri Feb-12-21 12:26 AM
'cept Big Mo and the chubby kid....and Clay Davis

So glad it's a one and done, and so glad Sunday is the last episode
740708, episode 10 on the net early. fuck this show forever.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Feb-14-21 02:13 AM
i got the inhaler thing half right. got the setting wrong.

one of the worst endings ever.

the way the judge escalated from wit and slight of hand in the courtroom to just flat out blatantly/crudely rigging the trial.

damn near every black character in this show died, got their lives ruined, or just ended up doing the dirty work of this judge and his bitch ass son.

couldnt even let the real (white) criminals plug his son full of lead. they put that all on the shoulders of some innocent kid who found no justice for the framing and murder of his brother. and now his life is pretty much over too when he gets locked up. and he looks like a clumsy buffoon for that missed shot.

they got black people looking like some damn ants in an ant farm on here smh. just one note portrayals of people who only really exist to push the arcs of the white characters.

740711, fuck this show forever....foreverever, foreverever n/m
Posted by tully_blanchard, Sun Feb-14-21 08:12 PM
740716, blown opportunity for sure
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Feb-14-21 09:35 PM
i'm not even talking about social messaging or anything, just that the potential for a great series was right there.

The Night Of was fucking fantastic so i had high hopes for this given everyone involved.
740710, Caught up on the final 3. This show got incredibly stupid
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Feb-14-21 04:40 PM
it ended so abruptly i didn't even know that was the finale. I was waiting for the next episode to kick in, like ok, what now?

So many things bugged me more and more ranging from small to large, of course beginning with Adam who despite being annoying as fuck had everyone who knows him seemingly willing to risk it all for him just because he was so sweet and fragile.

What was the thing even with his mom? She was fucking someone from Desire or did i miss something else? Why did NONE of the romantic relationships on this show make any sense?

Why even make covid a part of this show and show 2 people wearing masks. Shit was just weird.

Why couldn't Michael have just texted Adam?

The way everyone repeatedly stumbled upon all these important dates, etc... like the Vet at the graveyard.. this stuff all happened way too much. the whole mcguffin thing with the baseball which turned out to be nothing.

the destroying black people thing almost became comical in its execution.. it started off as making a point and became self-parody almost. i fully expected the juror with the mask to go to prison or die

It's such a waste. There were so many great ingredients in this show from performances to location to premise, and started out super intriguing. They fumbled it miserably. dogshit writing.
740714, RE: Caught up on the final 3. This show got incredibly stupid
Posted by Pamalama, Sun Feb-14-21 08:54 PM
And what was the deal with the SUV that was at the scene in the first episode? Was that ever explained?
740715, I assume the allusion was that it’s the dude who messed with mom...
Posted by Creole, Sun Feb-14-21 09:24 PM
740717, that was awful!
Posted by SuiteLady, Sun Feb-14-21 10:28 PM
through and through
747193, Season 2
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-18-23 02:57 PM
Shocked to see that was a thing
747195, I’m shocked to see that’s STILL a thing
Posted by Pamalama, Wed Jan-18-23 07:32 PM
747201, After the 1st episode, theres no way anyone would change their minds
Posted by Ceej, Fri Jan-20-23 10:16 AM
747204, im debating whether to check it out.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Jan-20-23 06:42 PM
ima prolly wait til the summer to binge it when theres no sports or anything on during the weekends.
747206, First season had so much potential
Posted by makaveli, Sat Jan-21-23 02:34 PM
All it wound up doing was annoying me.
747207, yeah, that's why I have such disdain for this show
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jan-21-23 03:31 PM
had all the ingredients for something special and shit out a shit product.

I can't see it improving if it's still gonna be premised around saving that insufferable kid
747256, RE: yeah, that's why I have such disdain for this show
Posted by Ceej, Fri Jan-27-23 02:41 PM
>I can't see it improving if it's still gonna be premised
>around saving that insufferable kid

Gonna be tough to do that
747261, Chuckles
Posted by Pamalama, Sun Jan-29-23 01:19 AM
747291, totally forgot Lol
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-31-23 04:18 PM
747292, finally good news!!!
Posted by Beamer6178, Tue Jan-31-23 06:40 PM
>had all the ingredients for something special and shit out a
>shit product.
>
>I can't see it improving if it's still gonna be premised
>around saving that insufferable kid

i read through all the replies trying to remember certain elements. his bitchass getting got was not what i'd call satisfying, but very OH WELL NIGGA! *65 lb shrugs, 3 sets of 12*
747622, solid season. better than the 1st overall imo.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Mar-18-23 05:44 PM
story/possibilities not as interesting as the 1st. not as suspenseful.

but didnt have the lows and eye rolling plot developments of the 1st.

this season was pretty much straightforward loose end tying with a good degree of closure.

748025, Wow second season was better than the first!
Posted by KnowOne, Mon May-08-23 02:54 PM
Im shocked.
748357, this post is the only reason why i gave season 2 a shot
Posted by thegodcam, Tue Jun-13-23 09:20 AM
and i was pleasantly surprised.... very solid season