Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCobra Kai - Season 3!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=740034
740034, Cobra Kai - Season 3!!!
Posted by Heinz, Wed Dec-09-20 01:27 PM
Trailer

https://youtu.be/YjAJhmqKPEU

----------

IG @erichrigonan
740036, I'm so ready for the Johnny/Daniel partnership
Posted by Oak27, Thu Dec-10-20 10:52 AM
The scene in the Mexican restaurant was one of my favorite moments of last season.
740037, I yelped when I saw...
Posted by Melanism, Thu Dec-10-20 11:43 AM
...SATO!!!
740271, Ripped through it! (Spoilers)
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jan-02-21 02:05 PM
Overall enjoyed the shit out of it. This season's 'cliffhanger' pales compared to the previous two but it's hard to keep doing that. I was thinking damn Robbie's gonna stab Kreese, or stab Johnny or someone's gonna die and they're like "Tournament!" lol

I'm glad Stingray is gone. He was pretty much the JarJar of season 2, and the only thing he did that was funny was throwing those little kids around in the finale. Also the Laruso's son has been all but written off the show lol

Tory is a solid 'villain'. I liked the parallels with her and the initial Kreese flashback. and bringing Kyler back was a good move since he's less sympathetic than Hawk

The only thing was really meh about was the KKII stuff felt too shoehorned. Definitely some good moments with Chozen, but the Yuki stuff was pretty bad (it was pretty bad in KKII tho). The girl he saved being the one to save Laruso auto was just goofy.

Zabka is still crushing it and pretty much has the show's best lines and moments.

Elizabeth Shue is a few years shy of 60. she looks great.
740272, Yeah, I binge watched as well and just finished
Posted by go mack, Sat Jan-02-21 02:12 PM
not quite as good as 1 and 2 but it was still enjoyable. Some dumb stuff, some unbelievable but still entertaining.

I thought Daniel's son might be a different actor. lol He looks completely different but guess just growing, maybe they can eventually work him into the show and have him learn karate.

Spoiler for ending:

is that vietnam friend alluding to Terry Silver from KK3?
740273, Yeah i think it's gotta be
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jan-02-21 02:44 PM
>Spoiler for ending:
>
>
>is that vietnam friend alluding to Terry Silver from KK3?

I couldn't remember if Silver was his Nam buddy or former Cobra Kai student. I thought it was gonna end with Kreese either screwing over all his buddies or doing something cowardly and being the only one alive to tell the story (like a Dick Whitman/Don Draper thing). Anyway his backstory started off better than it ended.

Also, are we assuming that's the same car? The asshole jock guy seemed to bitch about it like he was about to get rid of it.
740277, RE: Yeah i think it's gotta be
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Jan-02-21 04:38 PM

>I couldn't remember if Silver was his Nam buddy or former
>Cobra Kai student. I thought it was gonna end with Kreese
>either screwing over all his buddies or doing something
>cowardly and being the only one alive to tell the story (like
>a Dick Whitman/Don Draper thing). Anyway his backstory started
>off better than it ended.

I remember very little about KKIII, but I'm pretty sure they were 'Nam buddies, and he talked about how Kreese saved his life. But like I mention below, the actor who played him at least said a few months ago that he's not interested in acting again.

>Also, are we assuming that's the same car? The asshole jock
>guy seemed to bitch about it like he was about to get rid of
>it.

Yeah, noticed that too. Kind of had to be.
740275, They mostly had me until the final episode (Spoilers)
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Jan-02-21 04:34 PM

Seriously, a 70+ year old man sends a bunch of teenagers to go and destroy a home and assault a bunch of other teenagers, and the solution that Daniel and his wife are cool with "Let's settle this at the tournament!" Even with the prior history, Krease would get arrested and Tory would be sent to juvie for violating probation. Like, I know there's a lot of suspension of disbelief involved with this show, but that whole completely took me out of it. Not to mention that Hawk earlier beats up a kid and steals the charity money from the car-wash and there's no repercussions (even if they "gave" it to Miguel on behalf of Cobra Kai) also set the B.S. meter on overload.

I think my other major problem is that Kreese still isn't really a character. I'm not sure the Vietnam flashbacks (which looked pretty bad) really did an effective job of explaining his motivations on why he'd want to teach kids karate to terrorize other kids. Or why Robby would start looking to him as a father figure, beyond wanting to piss off his real father.

Otherwise, it was cool. Zabka is really good. I kind of liked the KK II tie-ins. And the stuff with Shue/Ali. Seems like they were suggesting that they want to bring back Terry from KK III next season, but I read that he's happily retired from acting. I figure they'll bring back the kid would Daniel fought in KK III instead.
740278, bro, you're underestimating Karate's stronghold on the valley!
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jan-02-21 06:53 PM
yea, nothing you said was wrong but i cant say any of it bugged me. Even the anti-climax of "tournament!" was more funny to me than anything else.

the Vietnam flashbacks were damn near sitcom level production. i don't know if we'll get more backstory on Kreese's road to teaching. I would just assume its more something he fell into rather than something he felt he was destined for.

Robby following Kreese doesn't seem far fetched to me. His dad 'chose' Miguel over him. Daniel not only turned him in, but Robby got his ass beat applying that ol' myagi-do defense only technique inside, and he didn't have it easy in Juvi and gain any respect until he followed Kreese's advise.

but really, as you kinda said, this isn't a show you want to analyze too much.

and if ANYONE needs to come back its Dutch
740365, ha
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Jan-14-21 01:50 AM
lol @ underestimating Karate's stronghold on the valley.
740366, RE: They mostly had me until the final episode (Spoilers)
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Jan-14-21 01:59 AM
>Or why Robby would start looking to him as a father figure, beyond >wanting to piss off his real father.

I never really bought the Robby sees Kreese as father figure thing, either! I heartily laughed when Robby hung up on Daniel when he called him in juvy, though. Poor kid.

>I kind of liked the KK II tie-ins. And the stuff with Shue/Ali.

Same. I wanted a little more Ali, but eh whatever, I guess. On to the next season! She's helped facilitate all of the necessary healing that everybody needed.
740570, the kk2 flashbacks reminded me of how much i loved the franchise.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Feb-03-21 06:14 AM
the music and the height of tension with miyagi screaming and daniel in that fight with chozen was great.
740571, 1 of the great things about this show is that its really anti archetype.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Feb-03-21 06:30 AM
and everything doesnt exist on a typical good/bad binary.

like johnny wasnt just training the bad guys and daniel wasnt just traning the good guys. and johnny has plenty of good guy in him while daniel has some asshole in him too.

and everyones motivations and behavior are completely understandable/relatable. you can honestly see why they would turn out the way they did. and you can honestly also see why the people on the other side would view it differently.

they just do a good job of simply humanizing them. even kreese.

i dont know if they were intentionally going for it...but its honestly some of the most dynamic character portrayal ive seen from a show of this type with this many central figures.

a show known for being superficial/cheesy actually lowkey develops its characters in a way many more highly regarded shows fail to.

iono if anyone even cares about this shit lol but i just thought it was pretty cool.
740286, Johnny had me laughing
Posted by Roadblock, Sun Jan-03-21 02:36 PM
just a fun watch and easy to binge
740292, Lol i love that hes always calling kid’s pussies
Posted by Heinz, Mon Jan-04-21 01:57 AM

----------

IG @erichrigonan
740369, i howled at the facebook msg response joke
Posted by Robert, Thu Jan-14-21 01:56 PM
with montage and all as he's writing out the thoughtful response..hilarious
740291, Still so cheesy and perfect lol
Posted by Heinz, Mon Jan-04-21 01:56 AM
Theres times where its so overtop and bad because it has to be to make it fit in that world and it totally works. They do a good job with motivations and how they bring in old characters to make sense. The Japan arc felt forced at first especially just to save a dealership and then if you think about it, its totally what they would write in the 80s lol. It’s as ridiculous of a choice writing wise as any of the other story arcs from the movies to past seasons.

----------

IG @erichrigonan
740364, Still a fun show to watch. (spoilers)
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Jan-14-21 01:47 AM
I sometimes wonder if Kreese has an ex-wife or kids somewhere in his past. Could they help this horror show of a man reconcile his past and find his heart again?

Anyway. It is what it is with Cobra Kai, including Robby and Daniel's bad wigs/hair pieces. Season 3 isn't nearly as strong as season 1 or 2, but I happily accepted it.

I was sad that Aisha was gone! Sam could've at least talked about missing her or wishing she had her best friend to help her with trauma. Something! It would've been interesting to see what decisions Aisha made re: dojo allegiance.

The "mass fights" are so long and stupid. They get dumber and dumber.

With that said, I can't wait for more hijinks that culminate at the next All Valley tournament!
740368, My favorite quirk of the Kai-verse is that MMA appears to not exist
Posted by stylez dainty, Thu Jan-14-21 01:06 PM
740371, They mention an arm bar just like Chris Jericho
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-14-21 03:14 PM
Who has NEVER administered an arm bar in,........wrestling let alone ever.
740385, That was a reference to Jericho’s 1004 holds promo
Posted by DJR, Fri Jan-15-21 05:02 PM
where he was reading all the holds he knows off a list and like 1/3 of them were “armbar!”
740391, if the series don't end with Robby in Jail or dead ...
Posted by Ray_Snill, Fri Jan-15-21 09:08 PM
then this whole reboot was a waste lol.

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
740569, 1st 2 seasons were fun as hell.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Feb-03-21 05:11 AM
theres still a lot to like here but i feel like this season took itself too seriously.

plus i know its gotta be exhausting to have to constantly come up with ways for a brawl to break out between the same exact people all the time lol.
740588, Robby's face and haircut were punchable level 100 first two seasons
Posted by Beamer6178, Thu Feb-04-21 06:59 PM
Haircut has brought it down to 40. I still think the character has been developed too one-note. He's not conflicted enough between his parents, his mom isn't exactly giving him a boatload of reasons to exalt her over Johnny. His motivations are also basic as fuck and he has rarely accepted any responsibility for his actions and the consequences.

The home break in fight was some shit, but it's plausible as to why they didn't call the cops all of a sudden. With the residue from the school brawl, Amanda smacking Kreese and having the cops flip it on her, and how they were treated at the community meeting, the LaRussos weren't exactly of the most impeccable credibility at that point. And, being that they never gave a shit about Robby's past despite dubious associations (country club, car dealership attempted break in), they weren't likely to call cops on a bunch of kids. Especially when they knew who was behind it.

Miguel has washed Robby twice, so I envision the All Valley coming down to Sam and Torry.

They shouldn't have taken Aisha off, and they need to call out white privilege as it is happening (Sam and her friends fucking up Johnny's car, Robbie never getting in trouble for anything until the school brawl), but overall it works.

I'm not particularly interested in a Kreese spinoff, but CK is required watching for me and my kids.
740633, Robby's face and haircut were punchable level 100 first two seasons
Posted by Ceej, Mon Feb-08-21 10:32 AM
^^^^^^ to elicit that much rage just by his hair is award winning. I hated him so much.
740634, It's like they were casting for Sidekicks 2 instead of Cobra Kai
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Feb-08-21 12:33 PM
Because that fucking kid is a dead ringer for this guy's kid, not Johnny "Badass" Lawrence:

https://aladdin.fandom.com/wiki/Jonathan_Brandis?file=Jonathan_Brandis.jpg

And I'm with you: I hate the fuck out of that fucking kid's fucking face. He's as generic as generic casting gets. Blue eyes, blonde/blondish hair? You're in.

I don't really care about his character at all, for all the reasons you listed. Everything about Fuckface sucks, even without the Neve Campbell haircut.

>They shouldn't have taken Aisha off, and they need to call out
>white privilege as it is happening (Sam and her friends
>fucking up Johnny's car, Robbie never getting in trouble for
>anything until the school brawl), but overall it works.

All of this. I love the show.

It's absolutely in "just go with it" territory. I'm here for the Johnny and Daniel show. The kids are just props to that story, and they're all expendable.

I'm really hoping we get Mike Barnes and Terry Silver going forward. I think Silver is a lock, but Barnes just has to be there. And bring back Dutch.